Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

58 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

If they worked on XP, then they should also work on Vista. I don't have time either.

That's the point. I don't have an XP installation on me at the moment, so that's why I asked of other users could test those because they were Vista-minimal.

46 minutes ago, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

That's the point. I don't have an XP installation on me at the moment, so that's why I asked of other users could test those because they were Vista-minimal.

Excuse me, I was under the impression that you were running XP 5 days ago. I'll get right on it, just as soon as I have time to kill.

On 5/8/2019 at 3:17 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

Sandboxie's website has been down for quite some time. It is coming back, although there is currently a temporary forum at Sophos (which owns Sandboxie). FAQs have not listed Vista as a supported OS for more than a year, so hopefully @Ruan will test the latest Sandboxie 5.30 for compatibility with Vista x86.

I've long thought that sandboxing would be the best way to secure the obsolescent browsers that can be used on Vista. Sandboxie has long been the leading brand; but aside from their lack of official support for Vista, there are indications that a debacle occurred in April. It concerns me that their old forum was taken down and the "temporary" forum now appears to be permanent. (Years ago, AVG took down their forum and set up a new "support community" at a time when serious issues with their products were driving away users, including myself. AVG was later bought out by Avast.) It also concerns me that @Ruan has not posted at MSFN since April 28, since AFAIK no one else was using Sandboxie on Vista.

I nevertheless may try Sandboxie on Vista before long (certainly someone should); but recently became interested in a lesser-known sandbox program called Shade because the website claims that Vista is supported. Unfortunately, that does not appear to be true of the current download (version number not known but signed March 30, 2019):

975934028_ShadesigMar3019.JPG.307963276780db28039c7b574a981586.JPG

Somewhat uncharacteristically, I turned to third-party websites in an effort to find the last version of Shade that really did support Vista. Both Neowin and Softpedia have May 2018 pages advertising Shade 1.7, but both actually deliver the same March 30, 2019 version as the Shade website. Perhaps Shade 1.7 was the last version to support Vista; but MajorGeeks actually does have a Shade Sandbox 1.6 download signed April 05, 2017. Nothing was detected at VirusTotal, so I installed it and found that it does work on Vista, but may have a few bugs. Here's a screenshot of its minimalistic UI:

1180664024_ShadeUI.JPG.6dd538508178b20a605d9c55bf7fec17.JPG

That and the tray icon's menu are the only options available to the user. You drag and drop shortcuts into the sandbox. Registration is required for activation. My testing shows that it does indeed put CCleaner out of business with respect to browser history, and there is no conflict with Avast. I am concerned about the scarcity of information about Shade. The best discussion I have found is an ongoing thread at Wilders Security. There was some enthusiasm when Shade appeared in 2015, but Sandboxie users were generally unimpressed, while others recommended the sandbox that is included with some Comodo products (which btw still support Vista). The last page or two of the thread include speculation about Sandboxie's recent troubles. I don't mean to recommend Shade 1.6, but it is an option for Vista.

On 4/11/2019 at 2:22 PM, Ruan said:

Hi @Vistapocalypse

Just updated to Sandboxie v5.28 a few minutes ago. System is Vista HP x86, updated to April 2019.

All is working well.

:thumbup

My mind seems to be in a sandbox. Installation of Sandboxie 5.30 seemed successful, but I soon encountered SBIE2331 Service start failed: [22 / 5] Access is denied. Even more ominously, Sandboxie driver (SbieDrv) is not available:

SbieDrv.JPG.f032a014732c446217c4586391779223.JPG

Efforts to manually start the service failed, presumably because the driver won't start. A conflict with Avast is conceivable, but I did disable Avast shields during installation and tried creating an exclusion for Sandboxie's program files folder. If there is a conflict between two such well-known programs, an internet search should have found something. (Note to VistaLover: There reportedly is a conflict with Kaspersky.)

A complete novice to Sandboxie such as myself should not proclaim the end of compatibility with Vista, but it looks bad and I would really like to hear from @Ruan. :worship:

Hey all, sorry for the delay. Thanks to everyone for all the contributions and keeping the topic active while I've been away! Now for the summary of changes since the last time I posted one of these...
SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR JUNE 13, JULY 22, & AUGUST 19, 2019:

• Added Yandex Browser Portable 17.6.0.1633 to "Web Browsers" section.
  • Added CryptoPrevent Antimalware, Cybergenic Shade Sandbox,Dr. Web Antivirus, Dr. Web KATANA, Hitman Pro, Jetico Personal Firewall, KeyScrambler, NoVirus Thanks Programs: Anti-Auto-Exec, SysHardener, & Registry Guard/guard service, RogueKiller Antimalware, SecureAPlus, Simplewall, SpyShelter AntiKeylogger, TinyWall, TrustPort, Unchecky, Xvirus, & Zemana to "Antivirus & Security software" section.
  • Added TeamSpeak 3.2.5 to "Instant Messaging software" section.
  • Updated Audacity to UNS status, as the software no longer officially supports Vista, but continues to work fine as of August, 2019.
  • Added Daz Studio to "2D/3D Modeling software" section.
  • Added TeamViewer 14.2.8352 as last version for Vista to "Remote Access" section.
  • Re-added NVIDIA GPU & AMD GPU driver sections.
Edited by WinClient5270

Also a reminder for users of Telegram desktop on Windows Vista (I use this software myself): in less than a month, the software will no longer support Windows Vista, however it should continue to connect to the Telegram service, as older versions dating as far back as 2014 continue to do so.

https://github.com/telegramdesktop/tdesktop/releases/tag/v1.7.4

• Set EOL for Windows XP / Vista and OS X 10.6 to 10.9 at September 1.

On 8/19/2019 at 5:42 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

My mind seems to be in a sandbox. Installation of Sandboxie 5.30 seemed successful, but I soon encountered SBIE2331 Service start failed: [22 / 5] Access is denied. Even more ominously, Sandboxie driver (SbieDrv) is not available:

SbieDrv.JPG.f032a014732c446217c4586391779223.JPG

Efforts to manually start the service failed, presumably because the driver won't start. A conflict with Avast is conceivable, but I did disable Avast shields during installation and tried creating an exclusion for Sandboxie's program files folder. If there is a conflict between two such well-known programs, an internet search should have found something. (Note to VistaLover: There reportedly is a conflict with Kaspersky.)

A complete novice to Sandboxie such as myself should not proclaim the end of compatibility with Vista, but it looks bad and I would really like to hear from @Ruan. :worship:

Hi, @Vistapocalypse  :hello:,

Apologies for being MIA these past few months. My Graphics Card bit the dust on my Vista system at the end of April, and I've been spending most free time since, on a Win 7 lappy, brushing up on Linux in prep for what seems an inevitable move come next January.

Anyhow, I'm finally bought a replacement card and am backup and running. Just finished installing the last 4 months Win updates. With all the uncertainty going on with Sandboxie atm, plus the reports of license activation issues, I wasn't in any rush to update - but went ahead anyway. Happy to report all went smoothly, Sandboxie 5.30 on Vista HP x86, running perfect.

RE; your SB issue, have you tried re-installing per the advice from your link above. It looks initially like the SB driver didn't install.

The driver component SbieDrv is not installed correctly. Try to re-install Sandboxie over itself (an update/upgrade installation). If that does not resolve the problem, try to uninstall Sandboxie and re-install a fresh copy.

Is SbieDrv.sys present in program files/ sandboxie?

Have you still got Shade installed?

Any other security software besides Avast?

Can you open notepad.exe Sandboxed?

:)

7 hours ago, Ruan said:

With all the uncertainty going on with Sandboxie atm, plus the reports of license activation issues, I wasn't in any rush to update - but went ahead anyway. Happy to report all went smoothly, Sandboxie 5.30 on Vista HP x86, running perfect.

Welcome back Ruan! :D It might be more beneficial to the community if I begin by asking you a question or two:

Do you have an antivirus recommendation for use in conjunction with Sandboxie on Vista, or do you think that Sandboxie is all the protection you really need?

Also, do you have any insight into what the company's problems were around the end of April? Unfortunately, the snapshot of the old Sandboxie forum at Wayback Machine is from Feb. 6.

You answered my question about the browsers you were successfully sandboxing in your April 18 post. My intention had been to begin with Firefox, in light of both your reply and Sandboxie's built-in support.

I do not wish to use this as a Sandboxie support thread. I tried repair install and clean install, SbieDrv was present in program files, and of course I uninstalled Shade first. I can't answer your question about Notepad because I didn't try and don't currently have Sbie installed, but presumably not since the driver wouldn't start. Like you, I have an HP x86 system - but unlike you, I have not "upgraded" to Windows 6.0.6003. As you know, Sbie never claimed to support any server OS, so it seems unlikely to me that Sbie would work better on build 6003 than 6002.

I quite agree that it is rarely if ever a good idea to install more than one antivirus at the same time, especially since conflicts between security brands aren't necessarily accidental. Years ago, AVG Free harassed users of ZoneAlarm free firewall by launching a command line scan every time ZoneAlarm generated a temp file. Companies are formed to make money after all, and AVG needed more users to upgrade to paid products that included their own dreadful firewall. My best hypothesis at the moment is that Avast nowadays has similar ambitions with respect to sandboxing:

1356990391_AvastSandbox.thumb.JPG.d35976c3e5cba7decc91b321baf6ea2e.JPG

11 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Do you have an antivirus recommendation for use in conjunction with Sandboxie on Vista, or do you think that Sandboxie is all the protection you really need?

I don't use any security software besides Sandboxie, so can't really recommend any particular AV. When Invincia owned SB, their recommendation was always "Windows Defender / Essentials". Now, of course, with the new owners - Sophos AV.

A most likely outdated thread from the old SB forum discussing Compatible or non-compatible Antivirus / Anti-malware

Also, do you have any insight into what the company's problems were around the end of April? Unfortunately, the snapshot of the old Sandboxie forum at Wayback Machine is from Feb. 6.

No more than anybody else, I'm afraid. There was news of an upcoming announcement, but that was over 2 weeks ago.

Official Sandboxie Status Update [Last updated May 22nd]

Like you, I have an HP x86 system - but unlike you, I have not "upgraded" to Windows 6.0.6003

Not sure where you are with updates, but if your system is pre-Meltdown/Spectre updates, then an older version of SB (v.5.22?, v.5.24?) might be more compatible. Just a thought.

https://www.sandboxie.com/AllVersions

Could just be, as you mentioned earlier, a SB/ Avast conflict, they've had issues before.

:)

On 8/22/2019 at 12:04 PM, Ruan said:
On 8/22/2019 at 12:26 AM, Vistapocalypse said:

I don't use any security software besides Sandboxie, so can't really recommend any particular AV. When Invincia owned SB, their recommendation was always "Windows Defender / Essentials". Now, of course, with the new owners - Sophos AV.

I was happily using Security Essentials on Vista prior to April 2017, but Microsoft put an EOL kill switch in it. Last month I tested 6-year-old MSE 4.4.304.0 (the last version with no kill switch), but found that its real-time protection functioned only some of the time with recent definition and engine updates manually installed (see here).

Sophos Home is a relatively recent product, and its system requirements did not include Vista or XP from the time it first appeared. I won't be trying to prove them wrong.

I'm uncertain about my next move. Were it not for your posts, I would not consider Sandboxie at all, having read their FAQs. I may try an older Sbie version to rule out some possibilities, but I don't think I'm prepared to abandon traditional antivirus protection at this time, and options for Vista are limited. Aside from Avast/AVG 18.8 (which is a legacy version: they ended support for Vista and XP late last year), Comodo is the only other brand that interests me at the moment. Comodo still supports Vista, and some of their products reportedly include a pretty good sandbox.

Thanks for all your assistance Ruan. :)

On 3/1/2016 at 7:31 PM, WinClient5270 said:

VLC Media Player 3.0.7.x (FREEOS) Requires SP2 and Platform Update to be installed. Download here.

The current version is 3.0.8, and it looks like there will be a 3.0.9: https://www.videolan.org/developers/vlc-branch/NEWS.

But as you posted February 10, the upcoming VLC 4.x will not support Vista.

3 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

The current version is 3.0.8, and it looks like there will be a 3.0.9: https://www.videolan.org/developers/vlc-branch/NEWS.

But as you posted February 10, the upcoming VLC 4.x will not support Vista.

Thank you for letting me know. Updated the list to reflect this information; will list the last specific version once this branch stops being updated:

On 3/1/2016 at 8:31 PM, WinClient5270 said:

Content Consumption Software:

VLC Media Player 3.x (FREEOS, ONG) Requires SP2 and Platform Update to be installed. This is the final branch to support Vista & XP; 4.x does not work.