Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

Most of the browers on that list were last updated in 2015/16, but I found some obscure ones that have been updated recently and claim to support XP (Vista):

http://browserss.ru/qutebrowser.html

http://browserss.ru/superbird.html

http://browserss.ru/torch-browser.html

http://browserss.ru/sputnik-brauzer.html

Everything else is too old or for 7 and up

Please note that the giant green "skachat" button will not lead you to the desired browser and will download something else called "Elements".

Oddly enough, what appears to be a link to the installer (for example, http://browserss.ru/assets/sputnik_browser_4.1.2811.0.exe) leads you to a 404 message.

Edited by win32

@Windows Vista Welcome to MSFN forums :)

Yandex.Browser already covered in the first post of this thread:

On 3/2/2016 at 3:31 AM, WinClient5270 said:

Yandex Browser v17.4.1.1026 (FREEOS) [Mar. 2017] Based on Chromium 57. Download here (link provided by MSFN user i430VX).

The link provided in that first post, as well as the link one gets when visiting

https://browser.yandex.com/

with an XP/Vista User Agent string (*NT 5.x*/*NT 6.0*) is for a stub (on-line) installer!

Official download link for off-line (Full/Standalone) installer, for version 17.4.1.1026:

http://download.cdn.yandex.net/browser/update/17_4_1_1026_2644_w_s_m/yandex.exe

17.4.1.1026 is built on Chromium 57.0.2987.1026 source and is the last officially supported version on Vista; however, it is not the latest version that can be reliably run on Vista (but not XP); that one is version 17.6.0.1633, built on Chromium 58.0.3029.1633 source: 

9BXTsqR.jpg

Most sadly, it has proven impossible to locate a stub and/or full installer for that version, thankfully a third party portable (PAF) package has been archived in SourceForge (and is the one used here ;) ):

https://sourceforge.net/projects/thumbapps/files/Internet/Yandex%20Browser/YandexPortable_17.6.0.1633_on_Chrome_58.0.3029.1633.paf.exe/download

Considering latest Yandex.Browser (19.6.1.153) is based on Chromium 74.0.3729.15 source, version 17.6.0.1633 should be considered deprecated/insecure by today's web standards; be that as it may, I find most websites render OK, with the exception, of course, of github.com (since they insist on always using the cutting edge version of Javascript code); if you spoof your UA to being FirefoxESR 60.x.x, even github works OK (but I suspect this hack will soon break, as FxESR60 will reach EoL towards the end of this month...).

Cheers :P

On 8/9/2019 at 6:40 PM, VistaLover said:

Yandex Browser...version 17.6.0.1633, built on Chromium 58.0.3029.1633 source

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that is the highest Chromium version of any non-Chinese browser that works on Vista. I try to be cosmopolitan; but having grown up in the USA, I am suspicious of software from adversary nations. Speaking of which: member win32 mentioned Sputnik in a post above, which apparently isn't even popular in Russia (perhaps because it is state-owned).

Anyway it looks like browserss is incorrect with regards to the OS requirements of Sputnik; the official site (https://browser.sputnik.ru/#personal) claims Windows 7 and up.

Torch browser is still in the running, as it does officially claim to support XP/Vista (https://torchbrowser.com/faq)

It does have a lot of stuff integrated into it which does not suite me well though.

UPDATE: I just downloaded the current offline installer for Torch Browser, version 69.0.0.1674, dated 2019-07-08. Ran the installer off a USB drive to my laptop with Server 2003 (no Vista machines here, unfortunately) and it failed to copy any files to the SSD. So I opened up the installer with 7zip, then hunted through \$R1\$_11_\pack.exe\chrome.packed.7z\chrome.7z\Chrome-bin to find the browser.

It wouldn't load because of the missing API AcquireSRWLockExclusive. The good news is that it is included in Vista! As do all of the other missing dependencies.

Edited by win32

4 hours ago, win32 said:

Anyway it looks like browserss is incorrect with regards to the OS requirements of Sputnik; the official site (https://browser.sputnik.ru/#personal) claims Windows 7 and up.

Torch browser is still in the running, as it does officially claim to support XP/Vista (https://torchbrowser.com/faq)

It does have a lot of stuff integrated into it which does not suite me well though.

UPDATE: I just downloaded the current offline installer for Torch Browser, version 69.0.0.1674, dated 2019-07-08. Ran the installer off a USB drive to my laptop with Server 2003 (no Vista machines here, unfortunately) and it failed to copy any files to the SSD. So I opened up the installer with 7zip, then hunted through \$R1\$_11_\pack.exe\chrome.packed.7z\chrome.7z\Chrome-bin to find the browser.

It wouldn't load because of the missing API AcquireSRWLockExclusive. The good news is that it is included in Vista! As do all of the other missing dependencies.

afaik it doesnt work on vista either , i had  tried torch before back in 2017 and it wouldnt load with missing dlls and errors

Edited by burd

8 hours ago, burd said:

afaik it doesnt work on vista either , i had  tried torch before back in 2017 and it wouldnt load with missing dlls and errors

Wikipedia agrees that Torch browser requires Windows 7 or 8, citing system requirements from Wayback Machine. Why would Torch Media now falsely claim to support XP and Vista? Wikipedia states, "Torch Media receives payments from companies like Ask.com to bundle potentially unwanted programs with the browser." The fact that Torch does not claim to support Windows 10 causes me to wonder if Windows Defender has a signature for Torch? Edit: The stub installer is not hosted at torchbrowser.com, and here's a link to a recent VirusTotal analysis. 2nd edit: Found an offline installer. It had not been analyzed at VirusTotal for a month (4 detections), so I reanalyzed.

Edited by Vistapocalypse

20 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that is the highest Chromium version of any non-Chinese browser that works on Vista

I won't take an oath, but it's highly probable! :P

20 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

having grown up in the USA, I am suspicious of software from adversary nations.

Having grown up in Greece, I don't harbour such discriminatory preconceptions; in the grand scheme of geopolitical/historical things, Greece as a nation/state hasn't had a true ally (and you just have to simply study the last 300 yrs of European/global history to easily conclude that); has always been a pawn on the world's chessboard; the big powers of each era just manipulated Greece in a way to better suit their agendas, with Greece ending up being the party with the bigger losses...

To return to the topic, using Windows 10 (possibly previous versions, too) and/or a Google product, some of your sensitive data are bound to be stored in some US-owned server, the NSA/FBI/CIA or any other federal agency would have little trouble accessing it if you somehow found yourself under their spotlight.

Similarly, some of the Russian software may store sensitive user data to Russian servers and make them accessible to state agencies, that is if you somehow attracted their interest; of course, it is broadly known that this phenomenon (regime spying on internet users) is much more widespread with Chinese browsers, so one should always keep this in mind...

I am not likening Trump's USA to Putin's Russia, certainly none of them to Jinping's China; but to me, "superpowers" are just that, more or less they'll have their way irrespective of my beliefs... And really, in the year 2019, do you still consider Russia as an adversary nation?

In fact, I quite like Yandex.Browser and have even installed it in my sister's Win7 machine, instead of Google Chrome. The GUI is pleasing (also has a dark theme in the Win7 compatible version), has compatibility with both Opera and Google Store (for installing extensions), the English localisation is quite good and it's very easy to de-Russify (which isn't the case with the Chinese browsers). All in all, quite pleased with it (... and President Putin can freely read all of my MSFN posts, I don't mind :D).

About Torch browser: Latest offline installer is of version 69.0.0.1674, as posted; of course, I didn't try to run it, instead unpacked it like @win32 with 7-zip; the chromium binaries are deeply buried in the directory tree, after several more decompressions, I was finally able to test chrome.dll with Dependency Walker: 

noLqxtM.jpg

As you can see, many missing functions in three implicitly dependent modules (kernel32.dll, shell32.dll, user32.dll), missing delay-load dependency modules, missing functions also in some of them; in other words, it won't run in Vista.

Now, some previous versions forked on Chromium <=50, if were to be found, might actually run in Vista but, frankly, I'm not interested... :no:

Edited by VistaLover

Much as I would like to discuss world politics, this is obviously the wrong forum. I had actually wondered if my 8/10/2019 post might lead someone to conclude that I didn't know Yandex was Russian, thinking I had shown admirable restraint; but VistaLover was able to read between the lines. Nevertheless, it is impolite to ignore a direct question:

5 hours ago, VistaLover said:

And really, in the year 2019, do you still consider Russia as an adversary nation?

Most definitely.

No surprise that Torch won't run on Vista, but glad you were able to prove it without installing any PUPs.

I can't find a browser named "FireSky", just some web hosting companies. There's a Firefly browser, but it was last updated in 2013.

Even Pampa Browser is getting long in the tooth, with the last update on April 22, 2018. It would crash almost immediately after execution on both 2000 and 2003 machines with .NET Framework 4.0 installed, even with no missing dependencies in 2003 (with the exception of ieshims.dll, which doesn't exist in my 2003 or XP x64 systems, and is a delay-load module anyway). It also bundles an "extra" component, a "YouTube Manager".

Mozglue.dll in that browser is numbered 45.0.1.6190, so it appears to be a FF 45 ESR fork; nothing groundbreaking.

Edited by win32

4 hours ago, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

Could someone with NETFramework 4 test these:
Pampa Browser (claims to support XP and Vista)
FireSky (Claims to have Vista support)

Why don't you test your "gold mine of web browsers" on Windows XP? AFAIK there are only 3 or 4 browsers that work on Vista but not XP, and one of those is IE9.

4 hours ago, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

My Windows Vista installation won't install Framework 4 and it's FRUSTRATING.

OT, but set Windows Update to "Never check for updates," click OK, then restart. If you can now install your preferred .NET 4.x version, then you need to read why has vista stopped automatic updates?.

8 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Why don't you test your "gold mine of web browsers" on Windows XP? AFAIK there are only 3 or 4 browsers that work on Vista but not XP, and one of those is IE9.

Excuse me, I already did [test over 15 separate browsers] and found the only browsers that worked were either the Chinese ones I've tested before. I did find a Russian Chromium 49 browser that fixed codec  issues

Is it too much to ask if certain browsers can be tested for me when I don't have time?😂

Also, thanks for the tip.