Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

3 hours ago, amancinocy said:

I will try to notify the concern,

3 hours ago, amancinocy said:

I edited my previous post to add more security programs with Vista compatibilty

... Extremely grateful to you on both counts... :thumbup

Sorry, don't ask me for Vista programs (yes, I think you wouldn't either), because I'm upgrading to Win7. I will try to make this PC as my music editing/old gaming (so 7/XP dualboot) machine, and some software requires Windows 7 to run.

And I think I used it with a period correct PC,

Intel Pentium 4 524 3.06 GHz (overclocked to 3,63 GHz) 2006

ATI Sapphire Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512 MB AGP 2007

1.5 GB RAM (Should be high for early 2007)

It was good, but I don't know would it run same with RTM version.

Edited by DragonSC7601
Upgrade to 7, but Vista was good either.

16 hours ago, DragonSC7601 said:

but where can I post a tutorial about Windows Defender (Vista and XP)

Welcome to the MSFN forums :)

Might I ask what this tutorial is all about? Since WD is a native/integral Windows OS feature first introduced in Vista (IIANM, on XP is a standalone/separate download...), perhaps posting it on the main Windows Vista forum looks appropriate ;); but a forum admin may think otherwise...

Thanks :) It's about definition updates, maybe anyone get interested... or some Server 2008 hacks are allowing it to update itself?

I'll post it if it's not, this method also works with XP!

Edit: Sorry people, it doesn't work anymore. I've tried with latest updates and nope.

Edited by DragonSC7601
Didn't work

I do not know if my discovery is of practical importance, but VirtualBox 6 beta 2 x86 works on Vista, and this is the latest version (from the 6.x series) for 32-bit hosts. Beta 3 and up requires 64-bit host system. Also, if you update from a stable 5.x branch, then localization remains (very partially), if installed from zero, only English is available. Perhaps this version has some functional advantages. Or maybe not. In any case - it is undesirable to use such complex software in the beta form - there are possible bugs with drivers, networks, and so on. But the fact remains that it can be launched on Vista.
vbox6beta2-1.thumb.jpg.6e0ff59b878a74aa8c64c5ed670c5b33.jpg

UPD.  Just replace the folder C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\nls from the release version - and all languages will be available.
UPD2. To disable beta warning run in terminal window: VBoxManage setextradata global "GUI/PreventBetaWarning" "6.0.0_BETA2"

Edited by artomberus
localization and beta warning notice

NextPVR 5 is now in public beta, but does not support Vista. :( There is not yet any need for a legacy download link because the current stable version 4.2.4 does support Vista, and the developer has not ruled out further 4.x versions.

Edited by Vistapocalypse
fixed broken link

On 4/25/2019 at 4:07 PM, artomberus said:

360 Extreme Explorer 11.0.2031.0 - working on Vista! It's based on Chromium 69.0.3497.100. And this is the latest rendering engine that exists for Vista. Works stably, Chrome extensions are supported.
Here - https://browser.360.cn/ee/en.html

extreme.png

I just visited your 360 Extreme Explorer link, but it gave me a newer download version 11.0.2116.0. Have you tested that version on Vista yet? I seldom use Vista for web browsing anymore, but I wanted to analyze the installer. FWIW it gets a "green light" at VirusTotal.

On 6/24/2019 at 11:36 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

version 11.0.2116.0. Have you tested that version on Vista yet?

11.0.2116.0 has only been a minor version update; actually, there have been several released after version "2031" :

11.0.2031.0 => 11.0.2052.0 => 11.0.2086.0 => 11.0.2116.0

and all of them remain XP/Vista compatible, all based on the same Chromium 69.0.3497.100 source code ;) . There's a "General Discussion" thread over at the XP forums you might want to follow:

with contributions even from Vista users (including several from yours truly... :P).

Latest version (in an "unofficial" portable installation) running on my Vista SP2 32-bit laptop:

V9lruVF.jpg

Edited by VistaLover

16 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Have you tested that version on Vista yet?

No, for the reason that I use the repacked, localized for my language version of the program. And I update it only with significant changes. But all minor application updates are still compatible. There are no viruses there - this is the official website of the browser. I don’t consider Chinese telemetry as a virus - this is an known feature of that software :)

Yeah, I’m fairly skeptical of trying this myself due to the Chinese origin and the scandalous behaviour 360/Qihoo have shown in the past. Pretty impressive that a Chrome 69 derivative works at all on Vista...

Edited by digzu

7 hours ago, digzu said:

Yeah, I’m fairly skeptical of trying this myself due to the Chinese origin and the scandalous behaviour 360/Qihoo have shown in the past. Pretty impressive that a Chrome 69 derivative works at all on Vista...

QQ Browser uses Chromium 70 :3

Now we need to figure out how to find or compile an offline installer in case the company discontinues this version.

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

11 hours ago, digzu said:

and the scandalous behaviour 360/Qihoo have shown in the past.

3 hours ago, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

QQ Browser

... If you thought 360/Qihoo had shown scandalous behaviour (in the past?), what do you call QQ's one ? :angry:

https://citizenlab.ca/2016/03/privacy-security-issues-qq-browser/

https://www.quora.com/Is-QQ-safe-to-install

... And, as mentioned elsewhere, I simply hate it that the latest breed of Chinese Browsers (e.g. Maxthon and QQBrowser) auto-associate themselves with Word and PDF documents, including media (audio+video) files...

I had once Maxthon 5 installed in its portable mode, but even then it kept hijacking document and media file associations; I had a terrible time ridding my laptop's disk and registry of many of its remnants  :angry: ...

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

... If you thought 360/Qihoo had shown scandalous behaviour (in the past?), what do you call QQ's one ? :angry:

https://citizenlab.ca/2016/03/privacy-security-issues-qq-browser/

https://www.quora.com/Is-QQ-safe-to-install

... And, as mentioned elsewhere, I simply hate it that the latest breed of Chinese Browsers (e.g. Maxthon and QQBrowser) auto-associate themselves with Word and PDF documents, including media (audio+video) files...

I had once Maxthon 5 installed in its portable mode, but even then it kept hijacking document and media file associations; I had a terrible time ridding my laptop's disk and registry of many of its remnants  :angry: ...

Yikes...thanks for the heads-up. I used the Chinese web browser with a caution before but dang... :(

Has anyone tried Avant browser on Windows Vista? I just installed it on XP. It launches but does not load anything; it's completely blank besides the window. The options are viewable but pages do not load.

Avant browser uses Chrome 74.0.3729.131 and Firefox 66.0.5.7070. If these two are included within the browser automatically and do not require a manual installation like Lunascape, that's kinda impressive.

EDIT: Oddly, WIndows XP does not give an error, but Vista does. "webkit.exe - Entry Point Not Found" appears. The program then stops responding on Vista.

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~