Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

14 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

The update that Jaguarek62 warned about on April 19 was actually KB4493458. Jaguarek62 is not using any antivirus software (unless his bank installed safety software), but reported issues with VMware services.

Yeah my brain sometimes doesn't function as intended :D just to clarify this, i'm completely WITHOUT any antivirus software but windows defender (with the newest definition). Still this doesn't change the fact, that the problem persisted until the newest preview. i hate that avast care about vista so little, that they won't release hotfix for this. Anyway sorry for the chaos i've made here about update numbers. Cheers

I've checked Krita. Version 4.1.7 is working on Vista (by unpacking method), Krita 4.2.0 - no.  "The procedure entry point RaiseFailFastException could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll."

On 6/4/2019 at 1:41 PM, Jaguarek62 said:

...i hate that avast care about vista so little, that they won't release hotfix for this...

Avast (including AVG) actually ended support for Vista beginning December 1, 2018 (see End of support for Windows XP/Vista), and only promised definition updates for version18.8 or older. However I have been following a thread at another forum that @Stevo might find very interesting, Windows Bluekeep patches causing Win32k.sys BSOD. The OP was running Server 2008 SP2 and using AVG 18, which attracted the attention of Avast representative Peter. On June 4, Peter posted:

Although this was not widely reported as far as I am aware, this issue has been confirmed. Our developers released a microupdate to resolve the issue for KB4489887 Windows Server 2008 compatibility as of a few hours ago.

(KB4489887 was a preview released in March, and was the first update to change the build number to 6003.) It is difficult to believe that Avast would take any action that benefits legacy versions of their free products. On the other hand, this could explain why artomberus had no issues with AVG Free 18.8 in his June 4 post despite running build 6003: Perhaps he was among the first beneficiaries of the micro-update? Still, the only further information I can find relates to business products, e.g. BSOD/Failure to Boot after Installing AVG Business Edition on Windows Server 2008. There is some general information about micro-updates in an earlier article:

You can ensure your device received the micro-update by searching the registry for this value:

for Avast products: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aswVmm\Parameters (CsrssCompat(REG_DWORD) = 1)
for AVG products: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\avgVmm\Parameters (CsrssCompat(REG_DWORD) = 1)

Thanks again for investigating this artomberus, as I am not currently running build 6003 and cannot readily investigate myself. If I finally understand this issue correctly, any Server 2008 update that changed the build number to 6003 would have caused Win32k.sys BSODs on Vista systems with Avast/AVG installed - but not anymore! :D

The micro-update is not actually present in the legacy installer (signed in November 2018), but is downloaded automatically - the user doesn't even have to be logged in (see this April article). Edit: I suppose the online installer might supply the micro-update immediately.

Edited by Vistapocalypse

Success finally. All updates installed and Avast 18.8 running OK now.

@Vistapocalypse. Thanks for your link to spiceworks. I was following that thread too and the persistence of @spicehead-3vg61 grabbed the attention of @Peter (Avast) mentioning my original post here at MSFN. The first Avast/AVG micro-update (released in April) did indeed change my registry settings for Csrss as @artomberus showed in his screen shot (but in my case using Avast instead of AVG) but my system was still BSOD on reboot.

Avast was showing:-

Avast program version 18.8.2356 (build 18.8.4084.0)

Virus definitions version 190521-4

After confirmation from @Peter (Avast) on 4th June, I ran the Avast Emergency Updater: (just to be sure) (at this stage I had not seen a difference in the ‘About Avast info’)

C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvEmUpdate.exe as detailed here. After a reboot:

Avast now showing:-

Avast program version 18.8.2356 (build 18.8.4084.0)

Virus definitions version 190606-4

It appears that Avast Free (For Home) did not update to program version 19.3 (and later to 19.5) as indicated here for (Avast Business Antivirus) but remains at 18.8, BUT now the second micro-update (within the Virus definition update) (released on 4th June) has resolved the BSOD and I am now up to date with MS Updates...Phew!

Edited by Stevo

On 2/18/2019 at 10:38 PM, WinClient5270 said:

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR FEBRUARY 18, 2019:

• Updated information about VLC Media Player in Windows Vista: with the upcoming 4.0 release now in Beta, Windows Vista will no longer be supported as of this release, with 3.0.7 (currently still in beta) being the last version, so a link to this version has been added.

It looks like VLC 3.0.7 stable was released today.

5 hours ago, Stevo said:

It appears that Avast Free (For Home) did not update to program version 19.3 (and later to 19.5)

Actually, this is NOT accurate; Avast does provide 19.x versions of their Free Antivirus flavour; e.g. if you navigate to

https://www.avast.com/download-thank-you.php?product=FAV-AVAST&locale=en-gb

you will end up downloading from:

https://bits.avcdn.net/productfamily_ANTIVIRUS/insttype_FREE/platform_WIN/installertype_FULL/build_RELEASE

which, once on disk (337 MB, off-line setup), can be verified to be of file version 19.4.4318.0. But versions 19.x require Win7+, the version you have installed (18.8) is the last supported one on Vista/Server2008 ;) ...

Cheers :)

19 hours ago, Stevo said:

Success finally. All updates installed and Avast 18.8 running OK now...

Great news! @WinClient5270 will not have to edit the listings for AVG and Avast to add, "Works on build 6002 but causes BSODs on build 6003." :D

(However there could be other build 6003 incompatibilities lurking out there.)

An obvious thought occurred to me and I decided to check it out. If Vista is compatible with Chromium 50, then Vivaldi at its base must also be compatible. I unpacked the installer 1.1.453.52 Stable - and put the files in the place where the already installed version of Vivaldi was located. And the browser has successfully launched :) I also assume that the latest test version of the browser that will run on Vista is Vivaldi 1.2.470.11 Snapshot. But unfortunately - links to old snapshots from the official site do not work - the files are deleted. And nowhere else on the network is there an installer for this version. If you have it or you know where to find it - please share it :)

VivaldiBr.thumb.png.398e8e5b295426401eb094693aba8e21.png

Sorry for the inactivity all- finally got around to updating the topic! :D Now to post the latest Summary of Changes...

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR JUNE 11, 2019:

• Updated Vivaldi 1.0 entry to 1.0.435.46.
  • Added Vivaldi 1.1.443.3 Developer to "Web Browsers" -> "Chromium-based" section.
  • Added Adguard to "AntiVirus/Security software" section.
  • Updated information about Telegram Desktop: the software will stop supporting Windows XP/Vista on Sept. 1, 2019.
  • Fixed broken download link for Adobe Reader X v10.1.16.
  • Added FineReader 14 to "PDF Viewers/editors" section.
  • Updated WPS Office 2016 entry to WPS Office 2019.
  • Updated link for VLC Media Player 3.0.7 to point to the final version instead of the beta version.
  • Added ArtWeaver Free and Pro 6.x to "Video/Photo Editing software" section.
  • Updated information about Krita -  no longer ONG; added 4.1.7 as the last version to work with Windows Vista (newer versions do not work due to missing Win7+ DLL functions).
  • Updated information about Sony Sound Forge - later versions up to 13.x can be ran on Vista by using the Portable version of the software (thanks to @artomberus for finding this).
  • Fixed broken download link for Microsoft Virtual PC 2007.
  • Added new section - "Language Translation software"
  • Added Promt 18 to "Language Translation software" section.
  • Added Nero 2019 Platinum (unofficial repacked version) to "Optical Disc Media Management software"
  • Added SuperTuxKart to "Games" -> "Active Development" section.
  • Added Adobe AIR 29.0.0.112 to "Software/game development" section.
  • Fixed broken download links for Java 9.x.
  • Fixed broken download link for Notepad3 4.18.512.992.
  • Added OpenVPN 2.4.6-I602 to "VPN Clients" section.

Will it be legal if I provide here link to download the x86 version of Java 9? On MEGA. I will not break any rules and rights? After all, these installers (JRE and JDK) were originally publicly available to anyone?

Edited by artomberus

10 hours ago, WinClient5270 said:

Updated information about Telegram Desktop: the software will stop supporting Windows XP/Vista on Sept. 1, 2019.

Does this mean the immediate termination of the Telegram from this date, like Skype? Or - only the lack of updates - and the program will work until the next incompatible change - half a year, a year?

2 hours ago, artomberus said:

Does this mean the immediate termination of the Telegram from this date, like Skype? Or - only the lack of updates - and the program will work until the next incompatible change - half a year, a year?

Only updates will stop. At the current point, extremely old versions of telegram are still able to connect and work.
So I'd say we have a while
:yes:

Edited by i430VX