Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

Some information.

The latest version of Adobe Air for Vista is 29.0.0.112. Starting with version 30, this software does not work on XP and Vista.

Sound Forge 13 runs on Vista, if you use the portable option (if you find it). Unfortunately, I don’t know how to do it legally, so I don’t provide links. Just information for those interested.

I also have two files - jdk-9.0.3+9_windows-x86_bin.exe and jre-9.0.4_windows-x86_bin.exe . They are successfully installed on 32-bit Vista. But! They were released, and then immediately removed from public access, and officially they are not available. However, in fact, if you need Java 9 on Vista x86, you can get it. And these are the latest versions for the x86 platform. There are no updates and never will be.

Also chinese UC Browser, PC-version - works on Vista. It is based on Chromium 55.

software.thumb.png.f593784dd36452e6d6b8e5a96fb651b2.png

5 hours ago, artomberus said:

They were released, and then immediately removed from public access,

IIRC, that was because Oracle decided they would no longer support the 32-bit OS architecture on JRE 9 and higher :angry:

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/9/migrate/toc.htm#JSMIG-GUID-59701F80-5BB1-416D-835D-C39A9112FC1E

Dropped Windows 32–bit Client VM

In JDK 9, the Windows 32–bit client VM is not available. Only a server VM is offered.

JDK 8 and earlier releases offered both a client JVM and a server JVM for Windows 32-bit systems. JDK 9 offers only the server JVM. The server JVM is tuned to maximize peak operating speed.

WPS Office 2019 works on Vista, so status is - ongoing.
FineReader 14 (latest for now) - works on Vista, if unofficial portable version used.
Nero 2019 works on Vista, if unofficial repacked version used.
OpenVPN v. 2.4.6-I602 is the last version of software, that works correctly on my Vista. Version 2.4.7 brings errors, and connection is not establishing.
The last snapshot of Vivaldi browser, that runs on Vista is v. 1.1.443.3.
PROMT 18 is the last version of software for Vista. Maybe, it's possible to run PROMT 19, but I could not do it yet.
SuperTuxKart 1.0.0 - fresh version of this game is still possible to run on Vista :)

WPSNEROFINEREADER.thumb.png.57af8f9e9730b0f2c05b433e81705185.png

@Vistapocalypse, I have installed all the updates for Vista, including some of those offered for the server version. Perhaps because of this, the build number has changed? I would like to know the reason. Nevertheless, the system works stably, there are no incompatibilities or blue screens. I do not use resident protection on this system - any antivirus causes slowdowns. Instead, I configure the OS to work safely, disabling unused services, installing updates, configuring firewall. I carefully watch what programs I run. And I left UAC enabled. I check the system from time to time using the MSE - installed on Windows 7 on the same computer. Also the last time I used Dr.Web CureIt - it started up normally on Vista and did a scan. This is a non-resident portable scanner. And a year ago I used the AVG, and everything worked. It is a pity if now it no longer works.

UPD. I just installed AVG Free. Everything is working. Rebooted - no BSOD. What update breaks antivirus? I installed everything mentioned in the forum thread that you gave, except for KB4474419 - it leads to errors and incorrect functioning of the services.
AVGFree1.thumb.png.a021afe5945d7e01bca45085730cdef4.png

Edited by artomberus
added a message

On 6/4/2019 at 1:26 AM, artomberus said:

@Vistapocalypse, I have installed all the updates for Vista, including some of those offered for the server version. Perhaps because of this, the build number has changed? I would like to know the reason...

See this post.

On 6/4/2019 at 1:26 AM, artomberus said:

UPD. I just installed AVG Free. Everything is working. Rebooted - no BSOD. What update breaks antivirus? I installed everything mentioned in the forum thread that you gave, except for KB4474419 - it leads to errors and incorrect functioning of the services.

Then it must be KB4474419 that breaks Avast/AVG and VMware! Thank you very much artomberus! :thumbup

Edited by Vistapocalypse

@Vistapocalypse, Great :) Glad I could detect this update. But do I understand correctly - does it (KB4474419) change something with encryption of updates? And all the following updates until 2020 can not be installed without it? Thanks for the clarifying link!

50 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Then it must be KB4474419 that breaks Avast/AVG and VMware! Thank you very much artomberus! :thumbup

well it isn't easy as it seems. KB4493472 was in fact the first update that has broke vmware and avast. (atleast for me though). The servicing stack update didn't change anything for me nor the may updates. The first update that started to solve my problems was KB4499178 so maybe give it a shot in vm? I have some free time tommorrow i will try to install 3 vms and test it, but i suggest to everyone just try the preview. You can uninstall it if it makes some harm to your os.

52 minutes ago, artomberus said:

I'm a little confused, but on the site - https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4493472 - no update for Vista or Windows Server 2008?

The update that Jaguarek62 warned about on April 19 was actually KB4493458. Jaguarek62 is not using any antivirus software (unless his bank installed safety software), but reported issues with VMware services.