Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

If anybody knows a good site like Softpedia, please tell me immediately!

I've discovered a Chromium 53-browser for XP, and a 56-based browser as well! So glad those Mandarin classes are paying off! It's sad how language barriers make good software hard to find...

Both aren't in English, BUT one does not have all the annoying certificate issues like all the Chinese web browsers (excluding 360 Chrome and more or less Maxathon).

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

At the bottom of  Windows 10 May 2019 update compatibility with ESET products I came across this:

Windows Vista Users

As of April 11, 2017 Microsoft Vista customers stopped receiving security updates, hotfixes etc. from Microsoft. If you are using an ESET product on a computer with Microsoft Vista, Microsoft will begin to enforce their End-Of-Life policy for Vista. Your ESET product will no longer be able to update the Detection engine or any product modules. In order to stay protected, you will need to upgrade your computer's operating system to a more recent version.

Edit: This probably means that the current ESET version 12.1.34.0 will be the last version to support Vista. :(

Edited by Vistapocalypse
more precise version number

On 4/11/2019 at 2:22 PM, Ruan said:

Just updated to Sandboxie v5.28 a few minutes ago. System is Vista HP x86, updated to April 2019.

All is working well.

:thumbup

Sandboxie's website has been down for quite some time. It is coming back, although there is currently a temporary forum at Sophos (which owns Sandboxie). FAQs have not listed Vista as a supported OS for more than a year, so hopefully @Ruan will test the latest Sandboxie 5.30 for compatibility with Vista x86.

I tested and .NET Framework 4.6.2 Preview (not stable version, preview version of the 4.6.2) runs on Vista and installation is pretty smooth. But stable version of the .NET Framework 4.6.2 cannot be installed to the Vista.

4 hours ago, Osman Kovan said:

I tested and .NET Framework 4.6.2 Preview (not stable version, preview version of the 4.6.2) runs on Vista and installation is pretty smooth.

Interesting. Is there any software requiring .NET Framework 4.6.2 that you are now able to run successfully on Vista with the preview version installed?

Finally got around to updating the list... Thanks to everyone who contributed while I was away, and sorry all for being inactive :(

5 hours ago, Osman Kovan said:

I tested and .NET Framework 4.6.2 Preview (not stable version, preview version of the 4.6.2) runs on Vista and installation is pretty smooth. But stable version of the .NET Framework 4.6.2 cannot be installed to the Vista.

Nice find! Added to the list.

On 5/13/2019 at 3:42 AM, Jaguarek62 said:

Beamng.Drive no longer functions/runs on vista. I'm sad :(

Thanks for letting me know, I have this game also and can confirm. Added the last version to the list.

1 hour ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Interesting. Is there any software requiring .NET Framework 4.6.2 that you are now able to run successfully on Vista with the preview version installed?

There is one piece of software I know of, off the top of my head, ShareX. It hasn't officially supported Vista for a while now due to it "requiring" .NET Framework 4.6.2, but the portable version has been able to be made to work on Vista by modifying a small .config file by changing the minimum required version of .NET Framework version number to 4.6.1 from 4.6.2 (thanks to @VistaLover for discovering this sometime last year IIRC).
However, after installing .NET Framework 4.6.2 Preview, performing this modification is no longer required, and the latest portable version of the software works just fine in Windows Vista (the installer will not run):

Cf7qqcMg.png

1 hour ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Well https://wiki.beamng.com/Requirements says they do not support Vista or VMs. Was the game working before you installed Windows updates in April?

The game has not "officially" supported Windows Vista for quite some time, however it continued to work until the release of 0.16.x this month, since it now requires functions from Windows 7 or later:

KA4dHME.png

Anyway, now to make the latest summary of changes (in a new post)...

Edited by WinClient5270

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR MAY 15, 2019:

• Added 360 Extreme Explorer to "Browsers" -> "Chromium-based" section.
  • Updated Norton products to v22.15.2.22.
  • Added Zonealarm Free Firewall 15.4.062.17802 as last version for Vista to"AntiVirus/Security software" section, as the software no longer supports Windows Vista as of around November-December 2018. Link to the last version is not available since Zonealarm does not archive old versions of the software, nor is it available elsewhere from what I could find.
  • Updated ESET NOD32, Internet & Smart Security products to v12.1.34.0 as these will likely be the final versions of the software to support Vista.
  • Added SoftMaker FreeOffice 2016 Rev 767.0516 to "Office Suites" section as last version for Vista.
  • Clarified info about ShareX compatibility: added ShareX 12.0.0 as the final NON-portable version for Vista; added ShareX Portable as (ONG, UNS).
  • Added Free File Sync 10.11 as last version for Vista to "File Management" section.
  • Removed BeamNG.Drive from ONG status; added BeamNG.Drive v0.15.0.6 as the last working version for Vista to "Games" -> "Last official release to work on Vista" section; the game requires APIs only found in Windows 7 or later as of v0.16.0.
  • Added Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.2 Preview to "Additional Microsoft software/utilities" section.

5 hours ago, Osman Kovan said:

Thanks from me, also, for this nice find :thumbup ; however:

Like many of us Vista users, I have the stable release of .NET FW 4.6.1 (manually) installed (file NDP461-KB3102436-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe); sadly, that one is not officially supported (last one to be is 4.6) and, as such, won't receive security+performance updates directly from MU. One has to hunt down those updates manually in Microsoft Catalog (or use @greenhillmaniac's MEGA repo) and then proceed to install manually... :(

AIUI, 4.6.2, even in its Preview variety, is an in-place upgrade from 4.6.1, meaning that not only the base install of 4.6.1 would be overwritten, but all of its already installed updates would also be gone, once one installs 4.6.2 Preview; has someone of you verified that this is indeed the case?

Furthermore, would the updates already released for the stable version of 4.6.2 (file NDP462-KB3151800-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe) play nice (i.e. apply correctly) with the 4.6.2 Preview version installable under Vista SP2 ?

Thanks in advance for any insight... :)

58 minutes ago, WinClient5270 said:

Added Zonealarm Free Firewall 15.4.062.17802 as last version for Vista to"AntiVirus/Security software" section, as the software no longer supports Windows Vista as of around November-December 2018. Link to the last version is not available since Zonealarm does not archive old versions of the software, nor is it available elsewhere from what I could find.

... Official link to the Web installer:

https://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/1042_za/zafwSetupWeb_154_062_17802.exe

(digitally signed on Sep 28th, 2018)

However, I haven't tried an install myself to check whether the stub installer does indeed retrieve (from the web) all the needed v15.4.062.17802 files for a complete and working installation... ;)

Edited by VistaLover

Oops, looks like I made a mistake - according to this article on the end of Windows XP support for ZoneAlarm, published on May 1, 2019, the last version for XP/Vista is actually 14.3.119.000. The article also states that you have to contact support to download the last version for XP/Vista, which to me seems a little ridiculous compared to just linking it publicly for everyone, well the free versions of their software anyway.

Thanks for the link though @VistaLover, even though  that installer won't run on Vista due to my mistake:

image.png.5f2200590d90bef105a624e2317c3694.png

Sorry everyone... Fixed.

5 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Thanks from me, also, for this nice find :thumbup ; however:

Like many of us Vista users, I have the stable release of .NET FW 4.6.1 (manually) installed (file NDP461-KB3102436-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe); sadly, that one is not officially supported (last one to be is 4.6) and, as such, won't receive security+performance updates directly from MU. One has to hunt down those updates manually in Microsoft Catalog (or use @greenhillmaniac's MEGA repo) and then proceed to install manually... :(

AIUI, 4.6.2, even in its Preview variety, is an in-place upgrade from 4.6.1, meaning that not only the base install of 4.6.1 would be overwritten, but all of its already installed updates would also be gone, once one installs 4.6.2 Preview; has someone of you verified that this is indeed the case?

Furthermore, would the updates already released for the stable version of 4.6.2 (file NDP462-KB3151800-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe) play nice (i.e. apply correctly) with the 4.6.2 Preview version installable under Vista SP2 ?

Thanks in advance for any insight... :)

I can confirm after installing .NET Framework 4.6.2 on Vista, it does indeed overwrite 4.6.1, however 4.6.1 and 4.6.2 security updates cannot be installed (manually or otherwise) on Windows Vista/Server 2008 due to the updates being OS-specific:

5olG5VS.png

As such, since .NET Framework 4.6.0 is the last officially supported version on Vista/2008, this is the final version that can receive security updates on these OSes, while 4.6.1 and 4.6.2 Preview will remain unpatched.

To confirm, this is what occurs when trying to install the latest 4.6.1/4.6.2 update rollup for Windows 7/2008 R2 on Windows Vista:
wn2xjgF.png

Edited by WinClient5270