Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

Looks like VirtualBox 6.0 has been released yesterday, I wonder if it still runs on Vista? Didn't see anything about Vista in the changelog so there's always a chance it still does, can't check myself sadly since it's only for 64 bit OSs, and the last release for 32 bit ones is 5.2 which apparently will be supported till July 2020.

Edited by Tamris

On 3/2/2016 at 3:31 AM, WinClient5270 said:

Notepad++ (FREEOSONG)

... I can confirm that the most current release (v7.6.1) continues to be Vista SP2 compatible:

MZT9xHP.jpg

Notepad2-mod (FREEOSONG)

Notepad2-mod hasn't been updated in a long while; its github repo is marked as archived, last commit was pushed on Aug 15, 2017. So it is safe to assume that this project has become "abandonware", with the latest official release v4.2.25.998 becoming in essence the very last (final) one (still compatible with Windows XP SP3 + Vista SP2):

0jnWjKu.jpg

Notepad3 (FREEOSUNSONG)

As you say, NotePad3 does not officially support the Vista OS (and the new owners, Rizonesoft, also dropped WinXP support):

Requirements Windows® 7, 8 / 8.1, 10 (32 and 64 bit)

However, the last stable release v4.18.512.992 apparently runs fine on Vista SP2:

WK8zT5V.jpg

Most sadly, the rosey story ends up here :( ; during the autumn, the dev team moved on to a new compiler with revised compiler settings/kernel optimisations so that the new branch 5 released builds (currently in the Release Candidate dev stage) are not capable of being launched under Vista, due to missing API calls: 

rWHMugw.jpg

So, version 4.18.512.992 should be marked as the last Vista compatible one ; obviously, the maintainers themselves have no intention of restoring Vista support to the app, but it is my gut belief - without, that is, browsing the code itself - that, again, we may have to deal with an artificial Vista block; the app is open source, so hopefully the code could be recompiled targeting again the Vista OS... Here's hoping... ;)

On 12/12/2018 at 11:34 AM, someguy25 said:

Please update the winamp line its now version 5.8 and it works on xp and vista(and winamp is making a comeback in 2019:))

Thanks for letting me know. Fixed.

On 12/19/2018 at 6:41 AM, Tamris said:

Looks like VirtualBox 6.0 has been released yesterday, I wonder if it still runs on Vista? Didn't see anything about Vista in the changelog so there's always a chance it still does, can't check myself sadly since it's only for 64 bit OSs, and the last release for 32 bit ones is 5.2 which apparently will be supported till July 2020.

Happy to report that Virtualbox 6.0 final works just fine in Windows Vista :yes:

RXRND1p.png

On 12/22/2018 at 12:10 PM, VistaLover said:

... I can confirm that the most current release (v7.6.1) continues to be Vista SP2 compatible:

MZT9xHP.jpg

Notepad2-mod hasn't been updated in a long while; its github repo is marked as archived, last commit was pushed on Aug 15, 2017. So it is safe to assume that this project has become "abandonware", with the latest official release v4.2.25.998 becoming in essence the very last (final) one (still compatible with Windows XP SP3 + Vista SP2):

0jnWjKu.jpg

As you say, NotePad3 does not officially support the Vista OS (and the new owners, Rizonesoft, also dropped WinXP support):

However, the last stable release v4.18.512.992 apparently runs fine on Vista SP2:

WK8zT5V.jpg

Most sadly, the rosey story ends up here :( ; during the autumn, the dev team moved on to a new compiler with revised compiler settings/kernel optimisations so that the new branch 5 released builds (currently in the Release Candidate dev stage) are not capable of being launched under Vista, due to missing API calls: 

rWHMugw.jpg

So, version 4.18.512.992 should be marked as the last Vista compatible one ; obviously, the maintainers themselves have no intention of restoring Vista support to the app, but it is my gut belief - without, that is, browsing the code itself - that, again, we may have to deal with an artificial Vista block; the app is open source, so hopefully the code could be recompiled targeting again the Vista OS... Here's hoping... ;)

Thanks for the very informative post as always, VistaLover :) Updated the list to reflect this information:

On 3/1/2016 at 8:31 PM, WinClient5270 said:

System File Editors/Viewers:

Notepad2-mod v4.2.25.998 (FREEOS) Download from vendor here.

Notepad3 4.18.512.992 (FREEOSUNS) Download from vendor here.

Today's the last day that Steam officially supports XP/Vista. If you want to use Steam in 2019 and later, don't forget to make a backup of the steam folder and use the "-noverifyfiles" command to stop Steam from auto-updating itself. You can still download games and etc.. The only thing that might happen is that you can no longer use the store and the friend feature might break soon as well.. 

Where exactly do I put it? And what would happen if I don't use it? Tbh all I care about is playing games I already have installed, but not really sure if I could access them without this command...

And won't Steam try to auto-update itself anyway after launching it?

Edited by Tamris

13 hours ago, Tamris said:

Where exactly do I put it? And what would happen if I don't use it? Tbh all I care about is playing games I already have installed, but not really sure if I could access them without this command...

And won't Steam try to auto-update itself anyway after launching it?

I'm not a Steamer, but this thread in the Windows XP forum has more to say: https://msfn.org/board/topic/177702-steam-for-xp-in-2019/.

It didn't tell me much either, but I figured it out by myself, let's hope it really works and Steam has no built in time bomb or anything like that, it already says since around 6 hours that it will stop working in 0 days... Guess we'll all see what happens in a couple hours.

Edited by Tamris

So, it's been 42 minutes after the "Steam will stop working on Windows Vista in X days" usually went down by 1 day. and... Steam still works just fine, the message still says that Steam will stop working in 0 days and that's pretty much it, no difference since yesterday. Not sure if it's because of the -noverifyfiles thingy, but I guess we don't have to worry for now?

Edited by Tamris

Also, it seems that a couple days ago a new version of Otter browser was released, a first stable one even. While the installer only works on W7 or above, they also have released a .zip version that's meant for XP and newer, so looks like we have an alternative to New Moon and Basilisk that will also be getting new updates in the future.

Edited by Tamris