Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

On 11/8/2018 at 9:35 PM, Jeyneko said:

What's the best browser then? I don't WANT to touch New Moon given the official PM devs are absolutely childish... dunno if that belongs in new thread tho

unfortunately new moon is the only choice

On 11/8/2018 at 11:05 AM, Jeyneko said:

What's the best browser then? I don't WANT to touch New Moon given the official PM devs are absolutely childish... dunno if that belongs in new thread tho

Any of roytam1's options are great for Windows Vista and XP. You can use Basilisk/Serpent 52, K-Meleon on Goanna (KM with the Pale Moon engine to give it better compatibility), or New Moon. I won't get too far off topic here, but even though the Pale Moon developers (or at least Matt Tobin in particular) may be childish, don't let them stop you from supporting/using @roytam1's work to keep updated browsers going for Vista/XP, as if it weren't for him, us Vista/XP diehards would be out of luck... I'm extremely grateful that he's dedicating time and effort into providing not only one, but several browsers for these OSes, since I am still an avid user of Vista myself.

30 minutes ago, burd said:

unfortunately new moon is the only choice

Read paragraph above :)

On 11/8/2018 at 11:57 AM, lidgaus said:

Guitar Pro 6.2.0 R11686 (April 01, 2016) can be downloaded from the official home page:
https://www.guitar-pro.com/download.php?idfile=gp6_win

https://i.imgur.com/2Yxv4uF.png

Thanks for the addition! Added to the list in "Audio & Music Creation/Editing Tools" section. 

Another thing I should mention, Avast Antivirus (both editions) will soon stop supporting Windows Vista (and XP) in January 2019. According to this article, the software will no longer receive major version updates (and therefore new features) on Vista, but it will continue to offer protection for users of these operating systems through definition updates, which personally is fine with me since that's what really matters. 

Another update for AV on Vista - Sophos Endpoint Security & Control, a suite of applications made by Sophos (including AV), no longer supports Windows Vista as of October 31, 2018, so the last version has been listed:

On 3/1/2016 at 8:31 PM, WinClient5270 said:

Sophos Endpoint Security & Control version 11.0.15 ($$$CS) No longer updated on Windows Vista as of October 31, 2018. The software still supports Windows Server 2008, and will continue to do so until around July 2021.

However, as I pointed out on the list entry, it should also be noted that this EOL does not affect Windows Server 2008 SP2, which should be supported until around July 2021, according to the Sophos support article linked. 

Anyways, thanks to those of you who kept this topic active while I have been away. I should be online more often from now on (for real this time ;))

Regarding AV for Windows Vista: I never used it myself, but Vipre posted a Notice in February 2018 that version 11 would not support Vista, and their system requirements have since been modified to exclude Vista (support for XP having been dropped much earlier).

If I believed in paying for antivirus protection, I might consider ESET or Webroot for Vista - but I wouldn't consider buying more than a 1-year license at this late date.

8 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Regarding AV for Windows Vista: I never used it myself, but Vipre posted a Notice in February 2018 that version 11 would not support Vista, and their system requirements have since been modified to exclude Vista (support for XP having been dropped much earlier).

If I believed in paying for antivirus protection, I might consider ESET or Webroot for Vista - but I wouldn't consider buying more than a 1-year license at this late date.

Thanks for pointing that out @Vistapocalypse. I wonder if this policy also affects Windows Server 2008, since it's supported until 2020... 

Anyway, I have added this info to the list: 

VIPRE Antivirus, Internet Security, and Internet Security Pro v10.x ($$$CS) It was announced back in February 2018 that version 11 of these pieces of software would not support Windows Vista. As of right now, v11 has yet to be released, so the last version for Windows Vista is unknown right now. It is unknown at this time if this policy also affects Windows Server 2008.

On 11/10/2018 at 7:26 PM, WinClient5270 said:

Another thing I should mention, Avast Antivirus (both editions) will soon stop supporting Windows Vista (and XP) in January 2019. According to this article, the software will no longer receive major version updates (and therefore new features) on Vista, but it will continue to offer protection for users of these operating systems through definition updates, which personally is fine with me since that's what really matters.

It just happened  :(

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/11/19/avast-18-8-is-the-last-version-for-windows-xp-and-vista/

On 11/16/2018 at 9:11 AM, arturjrs90 said:

WinClient5270, I have Windows Vista 64-bit with SP2 and I have ACDSee Video Studio 2.0.0.588, which works fine! Classic Shell is open-source, and I have PPSSPP 1.6, which also works fine.

acdseevs2.jpg

Thanks for pointing that out! Fixed :)

Video & Photo Editing Software:

ACDSee Video Studio 2.0.0.588 ($$$CS)

On 11/19/2018 at 9:54 AM, Jody Thornton said:

That's a darn shame... oh well, I never was too big a fan of Avast myself to be honest. I still run an older version of MSE along with the last major version of Malwarebytes for XP/Vista, both of which still receive definition updates which is what really matters (Avast will still receive definition updates on XP/Vista too ;))

Anyway, aside from Avast/AVG, I have found a couple of pieces of software that no longer support Windows Vista:

1. OBS Studio, a popular livestreaming software, no longer supports Windows Vista after 21.0.1 (released Jan. 2018), so this version has been added to the list:

OBS Studio 21.0.1 (FREECS) Requires SP2 and Platform Update. Download here.

2. Dolphin, a popular GameCube/Wii Console emulator, hasn't officially supported Windows Vista for quite some time. Despite this, the latest "Stable" release (5.0) along with new "Development" releases continued to work on Windows Vista until a certain point at which I cannot exactly pinpoint, since there are so many versions that have been released since the last time I tested Vista compatibility. For this reason, I have simply listed the last "Stable" version to work with Vista for now:

Console Emulators:

Gamecube/Wii Emulators:

Dolphin 5.0 (stable) (FREEOS, UNS) 64-bit only. Download from vendor here.

Also, I have added a couple of new pieces of software that continue to support Vista to the "Video & Photo Editing Software" section (thanks to @i430VX for showing me these):

Flashback Express (FREECSONG)

Flashback Pro ($$$CSONG)

Edited by WinClient5270

Well I have discovered what appears to be an Electron-based application that still supports Windows Vista (and maybe even XP) - Megasync (a cloud storage desktop client from MEGA):

Xjj2ae1WSPO3sNi_B1jOTw.png

If it is Electron based, it makes me wonder how they do it... perhaps they still use older Chromium 49 code? Or if it only supports Vista or later (I haven't tested XP), perhaps they've somehow ported the Win7 version to Vista? Makes me wonder...

Cloud Storage Clients:

Megasync (FREECSONG)

Also thanks to the recent Discord findings, I have clarified Discord Voice support under Vista as well:

Instant Messaging/Internet Communication Software:

• If you want to use Discord, you must use the web version. Desktop application doesn't work. For Discord Voice support, you must use roytam1's Basilisk browser.

Hope my list continues to make the lives of those of us on Vista (and XP) a little easier! Thanks to everyone who has continued to contribute to the topic! :yes:

Edited by WinClient5270

22 hours ago, WinClient5270 said:

Megasync (a cloud storage desktop client from MEGA):

Xjj2ae1WSPO3sNi_B1jOTw.png

For whatever reason, I can't get the embedded screenshot to show up [New Moon 28.2.0a1 (32-bit) (2018-11-23)]; perhaps re-upload?

1 hour ago, Tamris said:

Using the same version of NM and it displays correctly, so I think it's something on your end. Maybe try clearing cookies/cache?

Thanks for checking :) Unfortunately, even after clearing cache+cookies, disabling uBlock Origin and restarting the browser, no go, still; here's how @WinClient5270's post displays at my end:

Vv7HW2O.jpg

Same goes for other browsers on my system :angry:; and it makes no difference either whether I am logged-in to MSFN or not...

Digging a bit deeper (Page Source), I find that the actual picture URI is

https://image.prntscr.com/image/Xjj2ae1WSPO3sNi_B1jOTw.png

but going to that I get a "403 Forbidden" nginx server error :(??? Furthermore,

https://image.prntscr.com/

does only generate a 500 Internal Server Error (nginx server); so is the problem on them (CDN server closest to my physical location) or still something with my network connection?

12 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

still something with my network connection?

It would appear that the image hosting service (prntscr.com) doesn't like my current IP address issued by my ISP, or my ISP's IP pool in general :realmad:; by running my UK VPN service (which gives me a virtual UK IP address), I can access the screengrab URI directly and, as expected, the image shows up as embedded in the mentioned thread post... Go figure! :dubbio:

On 12/4/2018 at 11:30 PM, WinClient5270 said:

Well I have discovered what appears to be an Electron-based application that still supports Windows Vista (and maybe even XP) - Megasync (a cloud storage desktop client from MEGA):

It indeed does work on XP! I've used it for a while now.
e0WhT3rgTD_OUB0UMTZwmg.png