Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

Also, looks like Firefox derivatives have already begun to drop support for Vista with the EOL of Firefox 52 ESR: https://www.torproject.org/download/download-easy.html.en

Tor Browser v8.0 now requires Windows 7 or later as it is now based on Firefox 60 ESR. Probably won't be long before SeaMonkey (stable) drops support as well. If anyone is still using these browsers on Vista/XP, there's no better time than now to switch over to one of @roytam1's browsers, such as New Moon... Crazy to think that these are pretty much the only browsers that still receive updates on Vista/XP... :(

On 9/11/2018 at 11:46 PM, WinClient5270 said:

If anyone is still using these browsers on Vista/XP, there's no better time than now to switch over to one of @roytam1's browsers, such as New Moon... Crazy to think that these are pretty much the only browsers that still receive updates on Vista/XP... :(

Yet a lot of people on other boards (like Vista Forums and the Pale Moon Forum) seem weary of them.  @roytam1 should clear the air with these guys, so that they'll embrace these options.

@roytam1 and feodor2 are taking the trouble to compile and keep up-to-date and debugged the only real options of browsers for Vista and XP. And they're doing it for free (= gratis) just because they want to help and support the people's right to choose their OSes freely. If there is sheeple willing to ignore that and move on, despite their generous gifts, it's too bad for those sheeple, but I, for one, think neither ought to give half a damn about that. Just my 2¢, of course.

6 minutes ago, dencorso said:

@roytam1 and feodor2 are taking the trouble to compile and keep up-to-date and debugged the only real options of browsers for Vista and XP. And they're doing it for free (= gratis) just because they want to help and support the people's right to choose their OSes freely. If there is sheeple willing to ignore that and move on, despite their generous gifts, it's too bad for those sheeple, but I, for one, think neither ought to give half a d*** about that. Just my 2¢, of course.

Naw I hear ya!

On 9/11/2018 at 7:37 PM, Sampei.Nihira said:

The last version of Noscript classic is 5.1.8.7:

https://noscript.net/getit

NoScript Classic has been updated to fix a vulnerability that allows full bypass of Tor Browser older than v8.0.

:hello:

Many thanks @Sampei.Nihira . FF 52 ESR stopped updating NS at v5.1.8.4. I would have missed this update had it not been for your post, and this thread :cool: .

@WinClient5270 , Huge thanks also, for creating and maintaining this awesome thread! And the same to those who've contributed to it :thumbup .

@Vistapocalypse Yeah, Sandboxie 5.26 (latest version) has been working good so far. Thanks for the advice re: the Meltdown and Spectre patches. I've been meaning to test them again since I updated Sandboxie. Probably best to post my results over on the Server 2008 Vista Updates thread.

:)

Edited by Ruan
Update Link.

@WinClient5270
That small patch to make Rufus work on Vista is still applicable to version 3.3. I updated the binaries. It says version 3.4 because it's compiled from the source code iteration with this commit and the author bumps the version right away after making changes after publishing the official binaries. So apart from some Italian localization typo fixes, it's identical to 3.3.

I'll probably put it on my GitHub account at a later point in time as it's more suitable place for such things. Just have some other things on my mind ATM.

Hi again all -  sorry for the inactivity (again). Had a lot going on IRL lately. 

Anyway, not really much has changed in terms of software compatibility for Windows Vista in these past few weeks since Firefox 52 stopped being updated, however, there is one thing I should point out: 

Users of Sophos Endpoint Security & Control on Windows Vista might want to be looking for other alternatives, as the software will soon no longer be supported on Windows Vista after October 31, 2018, as pointed out here. I'm not sure about other Sophos products at the moment but I'll post back here if/when I find any information regarding Windows Vista support.

Thanks again guys for keeping this topic alive and helping me keep it up-to-date. Hope to be posting more frequently from now on now that things have finally settled down in my personal life! 

• 3 weeks later...

What's the best browser then? I don't WANT to touch New Moon given the official PM devs are absolutely childish... dunno if that belongs in new thread tho

Edited by Jeyneko