Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

Hi all. Sorry for the inactivity here lately, I've had a lot going on IRL lately and haven't had time to update the list until now. 

On 7/22/2018 at 7:23 PM, UCyborg said:

Auto Screen Capture supposedly needs at least Windows 8. It turned out that application doesn't depend on anything that only newer systems have. Here's the fixed version that will happily run on XP/Vista/7 (.NET Framework 4.0 required). These were required code changes.

Thank you for fixing it for older OSes (especially Vista)! Added to the list.

On 7/24/2018 at 12:05 PM, VistaLover said:

It may well look as if Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE) 1.12.1.90 be the last version to run on Windows Vista SP2; this was reported by a Vista user on their forum, several hours ago :angry:; MBAE is a perpetual beta free software with all premium features turned ON for volunteers/testers; the new auto-update to v1.12.1.97 brought with it, alongside several serious issues with Chromium-based browsers on Win7+), loss of functionality on the Vista OS (XP too?), because of new functions missing in Vista's kernel32.dll :realmad:

Version 1.12.1.90 can be fetched navigating to vendor's official page here ; in the event that page changes, direct link to the setup is

https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/hrxfh20wtbre7tfaimf56i5chlodia4z

Special provision has to be taken not to trigger auto-update to the non-compatible 1.12.1.97 version, see:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/malwarebytes-anti-exploit.354641/page-152#post-2770670

(courtesy of MSFN member @Sampei.Nihira)

Thanks for another detailed & informative post as usual, VistaLover :yes: Unfortunately this comes at no surprise to me as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware dropped support for Windows Vista (and XP) not too long ago, see here: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/191650-malwarebytes-3-frequently-asked-questions/?tab=comments#comment-1243649 I'd say it's only a matter of time before the rest of Malwarebytes' software (such as Chameleon) drops support as well :(

On 7/24/2018 at 3:07 PM, Sampei.Nihira said:

Hi.

I would advise you to include the following software in the list:

https://www.novirusthanks.org/products/osarmor/

Very good for your Security Setup.

TH.

Thanks! Added to the list :yes:

Your dedication and hard work are much appreciated WinClient5270!

AntiVirus & Security Software:

Avast has given advance notice of their intention to end support: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=220639.0

Two more brands that ended support last year are F-Secure (https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure-SAFE/End-of-Windows-Vista-support-for/ta-p/92278) and Immunet (http://support.immunet.com/topic/3311-new-release-immunet-600602604606/).

As @Ruan once pointed out (in a post that was lost to the server crash of early June), certain Server 2008 patches are incompatible with Sandboxie (https://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=25590).

Microsoft Security Essentials 4.4.304.0 predates the EOL "time bomb" and still works on Vista according to @Jody Thornton, but would have to be downloaded from a third party such as FileHippo.

On 7/28/2018 at 4:29 AM, WinClient5270 said:
On 7/23/2018 at 1:23 AM, UCyborg said:

Auto Screen Capture supposedly needs at least Windows 8. It turned out that application doesn't depend on anything that only newer systems have. Here's the fixed version that will happily run on XP/Vista/7 (.NET Framework 4.0 required). These were required code changes.

Thank you for fixing it for older OSes (especially Vista)! Added to the list.

You can link to its Sourceforge page now. The author accepted my modifications and the program is now at version 2.1.5.1.

Edited by UCyborg

On 7/28/2018 at 2:15 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

Your dedication and hard work are much appreciated WinClient5270!

It's my pleasure! :yes:

On 7/28/2018 at 2:15 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

AntiVirus & Security Software:

Avast has given advance notice of their intention to end support: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=220639.0

Two more brands that ended support last year are F-Secure (https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure-SAFE/End-of-Windows-Vista-support-for/ta-p/92278) and Immunet (http://support.immunet.com/topic/3311-new-release-immunet-600602604606/).

As @Ruan once pointed out (in a post that was lost to the server crash of early June), certain Server 2008 patches are incompatible with Sandboxie (https://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=25590).

Microsoft Security Essentials 4.4.304.0 predates the EOL "time bomb" and still works on Vista according to @Jody Thornton, but would have to be downloaded from a third party such as FileHippo

Thanks, I have added this information to the list.

On 7/29/2018 at 3:04 PM, UCyborg said:

You can link to its Sourceforge page now. The author accepted my modifications and the program is now at version 2.1.5.1.

Awesome! Done.

In other news, now that we're in August, this marks the final month that Firefox 52 ESR will receive security updates, thus the absolute final version of Mozilla Firefox for Windows Vista (and XP) will be released this month. I'm not sure the exact date that this will end, but I'd recommend Vista/XP users still on Firefox switch over to one of Roytam1's browsers, as to my knowledge these will be the only options left that continue to be updated on these operating systems after August 2018.
Also, SeaMonkey 2.49.4 was released on July 27, and I'd say it's safe to assume that this will be the final version for Windows Vista since Firefox 52 ESR support ends this month. I won't list it just yet but if you use SeaMonkey on Vista, I would expect this version to be the last... :(

Pale Moon v28 just got released and unfortunately it doesn't work on Windows Vista. Well that's it.. the only browster that still worked on Vista is now unsupported as well..

I don't want to give up on Vista though, i hope that it's possible to create a custom version of Pale Moon that works on XP/Vista

Edited by GTAGAME

9 minutes ago, GTAGAME said:

Pale Moon v28 just got released and unfortunately it doesn't work on Windows Vista. Well that's it.. the only browster that still worked on Vista is now unsupported as well..

I don't want to give up on Vista though, i hope that it's possible to create a custom version of Pale Moon that works on XP/Vista

Now Moonchild last stated limited compatibility with Vista during the Beta cycle. Moonchild never states explicitly that v28 doesn't work.

11 hours ago, GTAGAME said:

As Jody pointed out, simply use Roytam1's version of Pale Moon called New Moon... it's basically the same as Pale Moon except XP/Vista support has been restored. I'm not giving up on Vista anytime soon, either. :yes:

11 hours ago, GTAGAME said:

Yeah it doesn't work, it says that it isn't a valid Win32 application and asks me to delete the shortcut afterwards.

This part is actually pretty easy to get around by modifying the application executable with blackwingcat's PEMAKER program, which allows you to change the minimum OS version number requirement from 6.1 to 6.0, which uplifts the "not a valid Win32" restriction.

However, this alone is not enough to allow the browser to run in Windows Vista, as additional DLL functions from Windows 7+ are required:
pgViSsy7QyKMmyeMIH-BKA.png

Also, according to @i430VX's post here, August 21 will mark the end of support for Firefox 52 ESR. Since this is only days away and Firefox 52.9.0 has yet to receive an update, I'd say it's safe to assume that Firefox 52 will no longer receive security updates from this point forward. For this reason, I have listed Firefox 52.9.0 as the final version for Windows Vista. If a minor update is released between now and August 21, I will update the entry to include it, but I wouldn't count on it. 

I've made several changes to the list, which I'll outline in the upcoming sum of changes soon. :)

59 minutes ago, WinClient5270 said:

As Jody pointed out, simply use Roytam1's version of Pale Moon called New Moon... it's basically the same as Pale Moon except XP/Vista support has been restored. I'm not giving up on Vista anytime soon, either. :yes:

This part is actually pretty easy to get around by modifying the application executable with blackwingcat's PEMAKER program, which allows you to change the minimum OS version number requirement from 6.1 to 6.0, which uplifts the "not a valid Win32" restriction.

However, this alone is not enough to allow the browser to run in Windows Vista, as additional DLL functions from Windows 7+ are required:
pgViSsy7QyKMmyeMIH-BKA.png

Also, according to @i430VX's post here, August 21 will mark the end of support for Firefox 52 ESR. Since this is only days away and Firefox 52.9.0 has yet to receive an update, I'd say it's safe to assume that Firefox 52 will no longer receive security updates from this point forward. For this reason, I have listed Firefox 52.9.0 as the final version for Windows Vista. If a minor update is released between now and August 21, I will update the entry to include it, but I wouldn't count on it. 

I've made several changes to the list, which I'll outline in the upcoming sum of changes soon. :)

They changed it, again... back to 5 sep... :roll1:

release-overview.d8ca18efe06f.png

Edited by i430VX

On 8/16/2018 at 11:30 PM, i430VX said:

They changed it, again... back to 5 sep... :roll1:

release-overview.d8ca18efe06f.png

Thanks for letting me know. For now I'll just leave the list as-is, though, since I doubt the browser is going to receive any further updates. If this turns out not to be the case, I'll update the entry as needed. :)

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR JULY 27, AUGUST 5, & AUGUST 17, 2018:

• Removed (ONG) status from Cocoon, Cyberfox, Mozilla Firefox 52 ESR, Pale Moon, SeaMonkey, and Tor browser entries. 
  • Updated Cocoon entry to Cocoon 52.1.1 as the last version for Windows Vista.
  • Updated Cyberfox entry to Cyberfox 52.9.1 as the last UNS version for Windows Vista.
  • Updated Mozilla Firefox 52 ESR entry to Mozilla Firefox 52.9.0 ESR as the last version for Windows Vista.
  • Updated Pale Moon entry to Pale Moon 27.9.4 as the last version for Windows Vista.
  • Updated SeaMonkey entry to SeaMonkey 2.49.4 as the last version for Windows Vista.
  • Updated Tor Browser entry to Tor Browser 7.5.6 as the last version for Windows Vista.
  • Added information about Avast Antivirus Free & Pro Editions: Windows Vista support will be ending on January 1, 2019.
  • Added F-Secure Client Security 12.20 as the last version for Windows Vista to "AntiVirus & Security software" section.
  • Added F-Secure Internet Security 2017 as the last version for Windows Vista to "AntiVirus & Security software" section.
  • Added F-Secure SAFE 2017 as the last version for Windows Vista to "AntiVirus & Security software" section.
  • Added Immunet 5.0.2 as the last version for Windows Vista to "AntiVirus & Security software" section.
  • Added Microsoft Security Essentials 4.4.304.0 to "AntiVirus & Security software" section as this version does not contain the EOL timebomb which disables the software on unsupported OSes (in this case Vista) and continues to receive definition updates.
  • Added OSArmor as an ONG option to "AntiVirus & Security software" section.
  • Added Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit 1.12.1.90 as the last version for Windows Vista to "AntiVirus & Security software" section.
  • Removed ONG status from Sandboxie entry and added Sandboxie 5.24 as the last version for Windows Vista to "AntiVirus & Security software" section, as newer versions will not work properly on Windows Vista.
  • Added Auto Screen Capture to "Screenshot Software" section.
Edited by WinClient5270