Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR JUNE 29, 2018:

• Updated Yandex Browser entry to v17.4.1.1026 as the last version for Vista (previous entry contained an older version).
  • Updated Cocoon entry to Cocoon 52.1.x, as this will more than likely be the final major release for Windows Vista, with the release of Firefox 52.9 ESR.
  • Updated Mozilla Firefox 52.x ESR entry to Mozilla Firefox 52.9.x, as this will be the final major release for Windows Vista, with minor (security) updates being released until August 2018.
  • Updated Tor Browser entry to Tor Browser 7.5.x, as this will more than likely be the final major release for Windows Vista, with the release of Firefox 52.9 ESR.
  • Removed PDF X-Change Viewer entries, as the software has been discontinued in favor of PDF X-Change Editor. 
  • Added PDF X-Change Editor to "PDF Viewers/Editors" section.
  • Added link to tutorial on how to get the latest version of ShareX running in Windows Vista.
  • Added @UCyborg's modified version of Rufus 3.1.132 (UNS) to "Bootable USB Flash Drive Creation Tools" section, along with the link to his post containing the download.

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR JULY 1, 2018:

• Removed Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit entry from the list as the software is now part of Malwarebytes Premium.
  • Updated Malwarebytes AdwCleaner to UNS status, as the software requires Windows 7 or later, but continues to unofficially work on Vista.
  • Fixed broken download link for Handbrake 1.0.7 (last version for Vista).
  • Added SeaMonkey 2.50a1 Nightly as the last version to unofficially support Vista to "Web Browsers" -> "Mozilla Firefox-based" section (modifications required; link to tutorial is next to entry).
  • Updated Basilisk 2018.03.21/Cyberfox 52.x/Firefox 53.0.3 installation tutorial to include SeaMonkey 2.50a1.
Edited by WinClient5270

Looks like GIMP has dropped support for Windows Vista as of version 2.10.0 (stable; 2.9 dev) :(

I tried running the installer, and received this message:

nsMOTWplQoOufUMDINvwRw.png

I then tried downloading the portable version of the software from here to see if it would run, and I received the following error when attempting to run it:

58RV5r8uTz6Pfoyzipq-lQ.png

As you can see, the software fails to load due to a missing function in KERNEL32.dll: SetThreadErrorMode, which is a Windows 7+ function. 

As GIMP is open source software, this little restriction could probably easily be uplifted to allow the software to run in Vista, as SetThreadErrorMode is a minor function and I recall @smeezekitty creating a proxy stub DLL to stub the call to allow newer versions of Catalyst Omega to work with Vista, back when he was active on here. However, doing that is far beyond my ability so it'll take someone like SK or @UCyborg to do it. 

I then tried installing GIMP 2.9.x on Windows Vista (this is an unstable/development release; beta to 2.10) and was greeted with the following error:

MPeQhClmT9i48PX3rFiOaQ.png

As such, I have added GIMP 2.8.22 to the list as the last version for Windows Vista:

On 3/1/2016 at 8:31 PM, WinClient5270 said:

GIMP 2.8.22 (FREEOS) Download from vendor here.

Edited by WinClient5270

For those that follow this list, I've been working on a new list titled "Compatible hardware for Windows Vista." I'm mentioning that here because once this new list is complete, I'll be moving the information contained in the "AMD Chipset & Graphics", "Intel Chipset & Graphics", and "NVIDIA Graphics" sections here to the new hardware-oriented list. I'll go ahead and link up to the new thread in the "Quick Links" section for those interested:

On 7/8/2018 at 1:45 PM, artomberus said:

Hello! Here is custom build of GIMP 2.9.9 - that works on Vista. It's portable. And it supports 32-bit colors. https://www.gimpuj.info/index.php/topic,67846.0.html

Thanks for the addition! Added to the list. However, I must point out that only the 32 bit build works in Windows Vista, as upon attempting to launch the 64 bit build, I was greeted with this error:

O63cw-dcTeWqAVWc8Rxzjg.png

GIMP 2.9.9 - Custom Build (FREEOSDownload from vendor here. Note: only the 32 bit build works. 64-bit build requires system DLL functions from Win7 or newer.

Well, it looks like AOL Shield for Windows XP and Vista has been abandoned, as the browser is now called "AOL Shield Pro" and is now based on Chromium instead of Firefox, and as such requires Windows 7 or later.

I have added the last known version for Windows Vista to the list (thanks to @i430VX for providing a download link):

Mozilla Firefox based:

AOL Shield 1.0.0.35 (FREEOS) Based on Firefox 52. Download archived installer here.

Microsoft today announced Skype Classic to be retired on September 1, replaced with Skype version 8.0
https://blogs.skype.com/news/2018/07/16/upgrade-to-the-latest-version-of-skype-for-desktop/

Having recently ditched Skype for Telegram, it doesn't affect me, but has anyone else tried to fudge the new Skype onto XP/Vista? I did, but to no avail. But my programming knowledge is limited.

On 7/17/2018 at 9:24 PM, i430VX said:

Having recently ditched Skype for Telegram, it doesn't affect me, but has anyone else tried to fudge the new Skype onto XP/Vista? I did, but to no avail. But my programming knowledge is limited.

I managed to get the installer to run in Vista, but beyond that the software would not launch, due to missing Win7+ functions:

cRc1wpp5SrGUe6qxMfu_0Q.png

So getting the software to work in Vista would require stubbing calls via a Proxy Stub DLL, similar to what @smeezekitty did to get Adobe Reader DC to work in Vista, or it would require a compatibility layer... both are far beyond my knowledge and ability and it's hardly worth doing it just for Skype since there are far better alternatives, IMO.

On another note, I noticed that after nearly 10 years, a new version of HxD Hex Editor has been released, which fully supports Windows Vista, so I have re-added it to the list:

WKHjtplsQ02IUzUgMm4tqw.png

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR JULY 21, 2018:

• Re-added HxD Hex Editor to the list in "System File Viewers/Editors" section.
  • Added ContaCam to "Video & Photo Editing Software" section.
Edited by WinClient5270

9 hours ago, WinClient5270 said:

the software would not launch, due to missing Win7+ functions

According to this PAs.com comment :

Skype (8) is no longer the Skype app it used to be. It appears to now be an electron app, a web app bundled with a Chromium-based web browser.

Electron framework requires Win7+ by definition :(:angry: ... and according to that thread, further code was removed by M$, hindering considerably stealth portabilisation of Skype 8 even on electron compatible OSes :realmad:

9 hours ago, WinClient5270 said:

On another note, I noticed that after nearly 10 years, a new version of HxD Hex Editor has been released, which fully supports Windows Vista

Nice find, many thanks! :thumbup

Auto Screen Capture supposedly needs at least Windows 8. It turned out that application doesn't depend on anything that only newer systems have. Here's the fixed version that will happily run on XP/Vista/7 (.NET Framework 4.0 required). These were required code changes.

Edited by UCyborg
Exact version of .NET Framework

It may well look as if Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE) 1.12.1.90 be the last version to run on Windows Vista SP2; this was reported by a Vista user on their forum, several hours ago :angry:; MBAE is a perpetual beta free software with all premium features turned ON for volunteers/testers; the new auto-update to v1.12.1.97 brought with it, alongside several serious issues with Chromium-based browsers on Win7+), loss of functionality on the Vista OS (XP too?), because of new functions missing in Vista's kernel32.dll :realmad:

Version 1.12.1.90 can be fetched navigating to vendor's official page here ; in the event that page changes, direct link to the setup is

https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/hrxfh20wtbre7tfaimf56i5chlodia4z

Special provision has to be taken not to trigger auto-update to the non-compatible 1.12.1.97 version, see:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/malwarebytes-anti-exploit.354641/page-152#post-2770670

(courtesy of MSFN member @Sampei.Nihira)

Edited by VistaLover

On 7/22/2018 at 10:59 AM, VistaLover said:

Skype (8) is no longer the Skype app it used to be. It appears to now be an electron app, a web app bundled with a Chromium-based web browser.

Thats very amusing, a MS product using google's browser, even Microsoft admits IE/edge is trash

:roll1: