Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

7 hours ago, JodyT said:

Apparently, Waterfox and Cyberfox 52x both support Vista.  In both cases this should include x64 support.  Waterfox regular release post-52x have not been running on Vista however.

:(

Edit: Cyberfox v52.2 has removed Vista support.  It was removed after v52.0 (however the developer cites that even the x86 version does NOT work - yet Firefox v52x does - WTF???)

Waterfox 53.0.3 runs fine in Windows Vista, however later versions do not (I am the OP of this issue): https://github.com/MrAlex94/Waterfox/issues/166

4 hours ago, burd said:

i was using waterfox 53.3.0 or something was working on my vista sp2 x64,until i clicked check for updates and updated to 54.0 which gave me kernel32 errors.

Again, Waterfox 53.0.3 is the last version for Windows Vista. However, if you check out the link above, you'll find where the head developer told me that he has plans for a separate release for older platforms, presumably Vista/XP x64.

Edited by 2008WindowsVista

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR JUNE 27, 2017:

• Added a new ONG subsection (VPN clients)
  • Added Tunngle to (ONG) VPN Clients subsection
  • Added Google Chrome 50, Opera 37, and Firefox 53 as (UNS) browsers for Windows Vista. Referred users to @burd and @VistaLover's solution for getting the browsers to install and run in Vista.
  • Added a new ONG subsection (Audio editing software)
  • Added Audacity and Acoustica Mixcraft to (ONG) Audio editing software subsection
  • Updated information about Pale Moon under Vista (64-bit version of the browser requires an option to be enabled for proper video playback; both versions of the browser now require users to install SP2, Platform Update, and Platform Update Supplement for Windows Vista).
  • Removed HxD Hex Editor from the ONG section, as it has not been updated since 2009 and as such, is likely abandoned. Moved to Misc. System utilities section.
  • Added VideoPad Video Editor to (ONG) Video/photo editing software subsection
  • Separated screen capture software from screen recording software in (ONG) "Screen Recording & Capture software" subsection.

1 hour ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

Waterfox 53.0.3 runs fine in Windows Vista, however later versions do not (I am the OP of this issue): https://github.com/MrAlex94/Waterfox/issues/166

Again, Waterfox 53.0.3 is the last version for Windows Vista. However, if you check out the link above, you'll find where the head developer told me that he has plans for a separate release for older platforms, presumably Vista/XP x64.

Yes,I saw this,but it isnt confirmed,lets hope it turns out to be good news for all the vista and xp lovers or it will be a disaster :P

1 hour ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR JUNE 27, 2017:

• Added a new ONG section (VPN clients)
  • Added Tunngle to (ONG) VPN Clients section
  • Added Google Chrome 50, Opera 37, and Firefox 53 as (UNS) browsers for Windows Vista. Referred users to @burd and @VistaLover's solution for getting the browsers to install and run in Vista.
  • Added a new ONG section (Audio editing software)
  • Added Audacity and Acoustica Mixcraft to (ONG) Audio editing software section
  • Updated information about Pale Moon under Vista (64-bit version of the browser requires an option to be enabled for proper video playback; both versions of the browser now require users to install SP2, Platform Update, and Platform Update Supplement for Windows Vista).
  • Removed HxD Hex Editor from the ONG section, as it has not been updated since 2009 and as such, is likely abandoned. 

You missed one thing,a software called tunngle supports XP SP3+,i posted it before maybe you didnt see

1 minute ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

It's already added in an ONG subsection called "VPN Clients." 

Aah,its early in the morning maybe i missed it,my bad :)

Web Browsers

Polarity Portable 8.4.4 (Last to Support Vista)(XP Supported on the Previous Version)
Lunascape 6 
GNU IceCat 38.8.0

Comms Software
Teamspeak 3

System Utilities
System Mechanic

Edited by burd

23 hours ago, burd said:

Web Browsers

Polarity Portable 8.4.4 (Last to Support Vista)(XP Supported on the Previous Version)
Lunascape 6 
GNU IceCat 38.8.0

Comms Software
Teamspeak 3

System Utilities
System Mechanic

Thanks for these additions. I shall add them now.

55 minutes ago, burd said:

More Browsers

Xombrero 1.6.4 (Discontinued 2015)
Conkeror
Flock 3.5.3. (discontinued 2011)

Although these are noteworthy additions, the Web browsers section is getting quite long. As such, I don't want to overfill it with obscure Web browsers that are discontinued altogether (not just for Vista). I'm not trying to put down your suggestions as they do meet the criteria of "Web browsers", but like I said, the Web browsers list is getting pretty long and I don't want to overload it. Sorry about that.

As for Conkeror, I could never figure out how to get it working... I obtained the browser using 'git' and installed xulrunner 1.9.2 (Conkeror 1.0 requires at least 1.9.1), and I couldn't ever get a browser window to even open. The installation process seems overly complicated and not very user friendly (mainly due to the lack of a simple installer). Not to mention, it hasn't been updated since April 2016 according to Wikipedia, so I'm afraid I'll have to decline this addition too... 

Thanks for all the other additions you've contributed so far though, burd. Please keep them coming. 

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR JUNE 28, 2017

• Separated "Misc. System Utilities section" into two new sections: "Misc. Software Utilities" & "Misc. Hardware Utilities".
  • Moved Samsung Magician 4.9.7 & Windows USB/DVD download tool to new "Misc. Hardware Utilities" section.
  • Added System Mechanic Classic v16.0.0.10 & System Mechanic Professional Classic v15.5.0.61 to "Misc. Software Utilities" section.
  • Added new section: "Desktop enhancement software".
  • Moved Classic Shell 3.6.8, Fences 2, and ObjectDock 2 to new "Desktop enhancement software" section.
  • Added SystemShield AntiVirus and SystemShield AntiSpyware to (ONG) "Antivirus/security software" section.
  • Added a new (ONG) section: "Hard drive utilities"
  • Added IOLO DriveScrubber and AOMEI Partition Assistant (all editions) to new (ONG) "Hard drive utilities" section.
  • Added IOLO Search & Recover, and IOLO System Mechanic Business to  (ONG) "System management, cleanup, and analysis" section.
  • Added TeamSpeak to (ONG) "Instant messaging/internet communication" section.
  • Added new "Web browsers" subsection: "Multi-engine supported browsers".
  • Added Polarity Portable 8.4.4 to "Multi-engine supported browsers" 'Web browsers' subsection.
  • Added GNU IceCat 38.8.0 to "Firefox-based" 'Web browsers' subsection.
  • Added Lunascape & Conkeror to (ONG) "Web browsers" section.
  • Added information in "Introduction" section. 

1 minute ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

Thanks for these additions. I shall add them now.

Although these are noteworthy additions, the Web browsers section is getting quite long. As such, I don't want to overfill it with obscure Web browsers that are discontinued altogether (not just for Vista). I'm not trying to put down your suggestions as they do meet the criteria of "Web browsers", but like I said, the Web browsers list is getting pretty long and I don't want to overload it. Sorry about that.

As for Conkeror, I could never figure out how to get it working... I obtained the browser using 'git' and installed xulrunner 1.9.2 (Conkeror 1.0 requires at least 1.9.1), and I couldn't ever get a browser window to even open. The installation process seems overly complicated and not very user friendly (mainly due to the lack of a simple installer). Not to mention, it hasn't been updated since April 2016 according to Wikipedia, so I'm afraid I'll have to decline this addition too... 

Thanks for all the other additions you've contributed so far though, burd. Please keep them coming. 

Conkeror is pretty easy so i dont really know why you would find it tough,but yes ill keep scavenging for vista compatible browsers :)

1 minute ago, burd said:

Conkeror is pretty easy so i dont really know why you would find it tough,but yes ill keep scavenging for vista compatible browsers :)

Could you please explain as to how exactly you installed it? I can't even get a browser window to open without various errors. If you can explain that for me, I'll be glad to add it to the list.

Just now, 2008WindowsVista said:

Could you please explain as to how exactly you installed it? I can't even get a browser window to open without various errors. If you can explain that for me, I'll be glad to add it to the list.

i installed it on win7 and used it on vista,not sure if the installer has probs with vista,ill have a look and tell you