Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

2 hours ago, burd said:

I will download the 372.54 and see and report back :) ( i do have the ones from softpedia that support vista, will still download from the official nvidia site)

EDIT : IT DOES WORK WITHOUT MODIFICATION!!! to much shock,i think it might be the only official one unless the older ones do support it aswell.

Thanks for the information, burd! Will update the list to reflect that now! :)

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR FEBRUARY 1 & 2, 2018:

• Added link to MSFN member VistaLover's "Enabling TLS 1.1/1.2 support in Vista's IE9" tutorial in "Quick Links" section. 
  • Added information regarding NVIDIA Display Drivers version 372.54: the drivers work out of the box with Vista and require no modifications, despite claiming to support only Windows 7 or later on NVIDIA's website.
  • Added Diablo III, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, StarCraft II, and World of Warcraft (October 2017) to "Games" -> "Last official release to run on Vista" section.
  • Added LLVM Compiler Infrastructure v3.7.1 to "Software/game development" section. 
  • Added new (ONG) subsection: "Window management."
  • Moved Ultramon to (ONG) "Window management" section, as I previously thought the program was abandoned but a recent November 2017 update shows this is not the case. 
Edited by WinClient5270

Recently used Vista while waiting on an SSD replacement, so I've taken the the opportunity to do some further compatibility testing.

Software I've deemed Vista-friendly:

MusicBee should still work, but I haven't tested the latest version. https://getmusicbee.com/help/faq/

From the website FAQ:

Windows Vista, 7, 8/8.1, or 10 (32 or 64 bit versions)

.NET 4.0 or higher

At least 512 MB of physical RAM

At least 50 MB of available space on your hard drive

Soundcard

DirectX 8.1 or above

Tested Couple Of Nvidia Drivers, 372.54 , 372.60 , 372.70  , 372.90 , 373.06 all of them have a Ntamd6.0 section with devices beforehand and should install out of the box but drivers after the version 372.70 simply dont work due to lack of dll/functions present in vista as we already know. So it is suggested to install 372.70 if needed for 10X  Series GFX Drivers as it is the last driver to unofficially work.

As usual, thanks for the information and additions, guys. :) 

Also, in an effort to improve the "Games" sections of the list, could someone test Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (2015), and Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (2017) on Windows Vista? As of now, the latest release in the Wolfenstein series to be tested as (unofficially) working on Vista is Wolfenstein: The New Order, which was released in 2014. Wolfenstein TOB (a prequel to Wolfenstein TNO) and Wolfenstein II TNC (a sequel to TNO) have yet to be verified as working on Vista. Both games require Windows 7 as a minimum, which increases their likelihood of being compatible with Vista.

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR FEBRUARY 8, 2018:

• Removed NVIDIA Display Driver version 372.54 from "NVIDIA Graphics Drivers" section since all driver versions up to v372.70 were verified to be unofficially working in Vista.
  • Added link to the 32 bit version of the NVIDIA 372.70 display drivers.
  • Moved Doom 2016, Rocket League, and Sonic Mania to (ONG) "Games" section, since these games continue to be actively maintained.
  • Moved Wolfenstein: The New Order to "Games" -> "Last official release to run on Vista" section, as the game's October 2017 sequel has yet to be tested in Vista.
  • Added Clementine Music Player and MusicBee to (ONG) "Multimedia" section.
  • Added Cuphead (GOG.com version) to (ONG) "Games" section.
  • Added link to a tutorial on how to remove OS restrictions from MSI installers using Orca for VNC Connect and VNC Viewer entries, as this is required in order to install the latest versions of these pieces of software on Vista.
  • Added Notepad2-mod and Notepad 3 to (ONG) "System File Editors/viewers" section.

Important announcement for VLC Media Player users running Windows Vista:

According to the VLC development team, the 3.0.x branch of VLC will be the final release for Windows XP, Server 2003, Server 2003 R2, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008.

Platform support changes:
 * 3.0.x will be maintained as a LTS (best-effort basis, mostly for security)
   that will be the last working version for quite a few systems.

Indeed the 3.0.x branch will contain the last releases running on:
     - Windows XP, Vista, and the servers equivalent of those Windows versions
     - macOS 10.7, 10.8 & 10.9, iOS 7 & 8
     - Android 2.x, 3.x, 4.0.x & 4.1.x
     - Compilers before gcc 5.0 and clang 3.4, or equivalent

* For the 3.0 branch, please note:
   * The Windows XP/2003/2003R2 support for VLC is now on a best-effort basis:
     it should work, but not without limitations.
     libVLC support for Windows XP is deprecated.
     You _really_ should upgrade to a more modern Windows version!
   * Windows Vista (all versions) without Platform Upgrade is not supported.
   * 64bit version of VLC for Windows is recommended.
   * Linux support requires now a kernel newer than 2.6.26.
   * Mac OS X 10.6 support is now removed. You need OS X 10.7.

This also means that to run the latest version of VLC in Windows Vista, users must now have Service Pack 2 and the Platform Update installed. 

Edited by WinClient5270

Thanks for the information @VistaLover! Hate to hear about yet another program dropping support for Vista. :unsure:

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR FEBRUARY 10/11, 2018:

• Added MKVToolNix v19.0.0 to "Multimedia Editing software" section.
  • Added information about VLC Media Player: Support for Windows Vista/2008 is ending soon. Users must also have installed Service Pack 2 and Platform Update in order to run the latest version of the software.

• 3 months later...

I am currently in the process of restoring the list to its original state before the MSFN server crash. I created several tutorials on how to install various pieces of unofficially supported software on Windows Vista, such as Basilisk (up until 2018.03.21; newer versions do not work), Krita, and Cyberfox 52.x, which were unfortunately lost to the server crash. I will need to recreate these tutorials one-by-one in order to link them in the main list, so you'll be seeing these popping up here for the next hour or so. Just thought I'd give a heads up. :)

Edited by WinClient5270

How to get the following browsers to work in Vista:

• Basilisk (ONLY WORKS UP TO VERSION 2018.03.21; newer versions do not work)
  • Cyberfox 52.x
  • Firefox 53.0.3 (v54 and later do NOT work)
  • SeaMonkey 2.50a1

1. After downloading and extracting the portable version of the browser(s), you'll also need to download Blackwingcat's PEMAKER software here.

• Note: for Firefox 53, you'll need to download the setup.exe file here and then extract it with 7zip manually, as no portable version is available as far as I know.

2. After downloading PEMAKER, go to the Basilisk, Cyberfox 52, Firefox 53, or SeaMonkey 2.50a1 installation folder and copy the following executables to your desktop:

basilisk.exe, cyberfox.exe, firefox.exe, or seamonkey.exe

plugin-container.exe

plugin-hang-ui.exe

crashreporter.exe (Applies to SeaMonkey only)

3. Extract the PEMAKER .ZIP file that you downloaded, and run PEMAKER as an administrator.

4. After opening PEMAKER, check "English" and choose the "Main" tab.

P_Ei-c4PQdiu5ktUUwS-rQ.png

5. Click "Load" and then choose basilisk.exe, cyberfox.exe, firefox.exe, or seamonkey.exe. Then click the "Change" button next to "OSVersion" and change "6.1" to "6.0" in the following dialogue, and do the same for "SubSysVersion". After doing this, save the file in a different location using the same file name, and then replace the original, unmodified file with its newly created corresponding modified version in the browser installation directory. Repeat these steps for plugin-container.exe and plugin-hang-ui.exe. 

If you did everything correctly, the browser(s) should run on Vista, for the most part, just fine! However, Vista's system codecs will not be properly supported (see screenshot here for more info), so I don't recommend using these browsers if you rely on proper codec support.

Basilisk 2018.03.21:

J5QStnpORU_BuK8uU2fXWw.png

Cyberfox 52.x:

ojwABjUyRF_RVQSZXlKbFA.png

Firefox 53.0.3:

mwKo-cJrT6qKVO6289rxYw.png

SeaMonkey 2.50a1 Nightly:

6ZpNfb24SY6kE81pG190oQ.png

Edited by WinClient5270
Added SeaMonkey 2.50a1 instructions

Well aside from a few things, the list has been completely restored to its original state before the server crashes. I will make a few more adjustments when I come back. 

This was quite a tedious task, especially having to reenter the key abbreviation colors and download links, so much so that my hands hurt now, lol. Really hope I don't have to do this again :zzz:

On 6/8/2018 at 1:29 PM, WinClient5270 said:

Well aside from a few things, the list has been completely restored to its original state before the server crashes. I will make a few more adjustments when I come back. 

This was quite a tedious task, especially having to reenter the key abbreviation colors and download links, so much so that my hands hurt now, lol. Really hope I don't have to do this again :zzz:

the last topic we were talking about was about itunes working past its expiry date i.e 25th May , can someone reconfirm on XP if it still works?

5 hours ago, burd said:

the last topic we were talking about was about itunes working past its expiry date i.e 25th May , can someone reconfirm on XP if it still works?

Still Works! Even Without HTTPS Proxy!

Screenshot_210.thumb.png.d33308f8d13917bfff09891f10b8abd4.png

It says undefined off to the side. Don't Worry! It is just saying you need to purchase the entire album to get the song (and apparently freaking out a little):

Screenshot_211.png.c5d438fd5bec037598d2484f3f3ce19b.png

I had itunes gift card at some point, but lost it. Can anybody on XP/Vista confirm/deny the working of purchases?

Edited by i430VX