Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

On 11/24/2017 at 2:47 AM, pinkmoon89 said:

Does the non-Electron GitHub Desktop application still work? I remember trying last year GH Desktop on Vista when I still had real hardware that ran it, and it worked fine, despite the fact it said Vista wasn't a supported OS.

Sorry for the late response, but after some searching around on Google, I can't seem to find the non-Electron version of the Github Desktop app. Could you provide a download link to it (legally of course), please?

For reference, the Electron-based app doesn't work, complaining of a missing entry point "Shell_NotifyIconGetRect" in SHELL32.DLL, as this is a Windows 7+ function.

Edited by WinClient5270

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR DECEMBER 3 & 4, 2017:

• Added tip for Internet Explorer 9 on Windows Vista: You can continue to receive security updates for the browser by installing security updates for IE9 for Server 2008 on Vista.
  • Updated information about SeaMonkey: the browser's final version to support Windows XP and Vista (v2.49) was released. The current download link points to the main SeaMonkey download page (since 2.49 is the latest version currently) but will be changed to a page containing the final version of 2.49.x when the next major version of the browser is released.
  • Updated information and download link for Word Viewer 2010: Microsoft removed the software from their website as of Nov. 29, so a link to a WayBack Machine archive of the download site has been posted instead.
  • Added FileHippo link to last version of Microsoft OneDrive to support Windows Vista (Build 17.3.7076.1026).
  • Clarified information about Java compatibility.

Can confirm the new K-Meleon 76 Goana build is working on Vista (as to be expected). Found a similar encoder to Handbrake as well, but the last version to support XP/Vista systems is 3.2.7.1, which at the time of writing is 2 years old.

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,143253

http://www.xmedia-recode.de/en/download.html

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR DECEMBER 30, 2017:

• Added link in "Web Browsers" section to a separate list by @~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ containing ONLY web browsers that support Vista, for those interested.
  • Updated information about Waterfox: the head developer and some other users have recently discussed adding XP/Vista support back into Waterfox. It is unclear whether or not anything has materialized, however the list will be updated as new information becomes available.
  • Renamed "Instant Messaging" section to "Instant Messaging/Internet Communication" to be more descriptive/inclusive.
  • Added HexChat v2.10.0 as the last version to support Vista in "Instant Messaging/Internet Communication" section.
  • Added Basilisk by roytam1 to (ONG) "Web browsers" subsection.
  • Updated/simplified information about Pale Moon: Basilisk by Roytam1 is now in its own separate entry and the overly-detailed paragraph about Pale Moon support has been condensed into a short sentence for easier reading.

8 hours ago, WinClient5270 said:

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR DECEMBER 30, 2017:

• Added link in "Web Browsers" section to a separate list by @~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ containing ONLY web browsers that support Vista, for those interested.
  • Updated information about Waterfox: the head developer and some other users have recently discussed adding XP/Vista support back into Waterfox. It is unclear whether or not anything has materialized, however the list will be updated as new information becomes available.
  • Renamed "Instant Messaging" section to "Instant Messaging/Internet Communication" to be more descriptive/inclusive.
  • Added HexChat v2.10.0 as the last version to support Vista in "Instant Messaging/Internet Communication" section.
  • Added Basilisk by roytam1 to (ONG) "Web browsers" subsection.
  • Updated/simplified information about Pale Moon: Basilisk by Roytam1 is now in its own separate entry and the overly-detailed paragraph about Pale Moon support has been condensed into a short sentence for easier reading.

any link to the waterfox discussion?

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR JANUARY 14, 2018:

• Added Kaspersky Antivirus 2017, Kaspersky Internet Security 2017, and Kaspersky Total Security 2017 to "Security software" section.
  • Added Hyper-V "1.0" (2008) to "Virtualization software" section.
  • Added download link to iCloud Control Panel 2.1.3.
  • Added CamStudio v2.7.2 and Fraps v3.5.99 to "Multimedia editing software" section, as neither program has received an update in nearly 5 years, and as such are most likely abandoned.
  • Renamed "Misc. Software Utilities" section to "System Maintenance."
  • Renamed "Misc. Hardware Utilities" section to "Hard Drive Maintenance"
  • Moved DAEMON Tools Pro v7.0, Diskeeper 12 Pro, and Samsung Magician 4.9.7 to "Hard Drive Maintenance" section.
  • Added DAEMON Tools Lite v10.2 to "Hard Drive Maintenance" section.
  • Removed HxD Hex Editor v1.7.7.0 as the application has not been updated since 2009 (with the exception of a 2.0 RC release in March 2017) and as such, is most likely abandoned.
  • Moved Logitech Gaming Software to (ONG) "Hardware identification and temperature management" section as an (UNS) entry, thus eliminating the need to keep updating the version number.
  • Moved Virtual CD-ROM Control Panel and Windows USB/DVD Download Tool to "Additional Microsoft software/utilities" section.
  • Added information about Avast Antivirus (Free and Pro versions): Windows Vista Starter Edition is not supported.
  • Added Comodo Antivirus For Servers, Comodo Cloud Antivirus, and Comodo Cloud Scanner to (ONG) "Antivirus/security software" section.
  • Removed Kaspersky Antivirus, Kaspersky Internet Security, and Kaspersky Total Security from (ONG) "Antivirus/security software" section.
  • Updated information about Sophos Endpoint Security & Control: the software will continue to support Windows Vista until October 31, 2018.
  • Renamed (ONG) "Browsers > Multi-engine supported browsers" to "Independently based" in order to accommodate more types of browsers.
  • Added K-Meleon on Goanna by roytam1 to (ONG) "Browsers > Independently based" section.
  • Removed CamStudio and Fraps from (ONG) "Screen Recording & Capture software" section.
  • Added new (ONG) section: "Bootable USB Flash Drive creation tools."
  • Added Rufus and WinSetupfromUSB to (ONG) "Bootable USB Flash Drive creation tools" section.
  • Updated information about Google Earth: the desktop client is currently being replaced by a web-based version of the application, which means the desktop client may not be maintained/updated much longer.
Edited by WinClient5270
Added missing information

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR JANUARY 21, 2018:

• Updated information about Advanced Chrome 54: the browser still receives updates as of Jan. 2018.
  • Fixed broken download link for Advanced Chrome 54.
  • Removed link to List of Working Web Browsers for Windows Vista post, as it has recently been deleted for unknown reasons.
  • Updated information about Windows Defender: the software should continue to receive definition updates until Jan. 2020, when support for Windows Server 2008 ends.
  • Updated information about Dropbox in Vista, complete with a link to a guide I made on how to keep the software working properly in Vista after the January 8, 2018 end of support.

Added download links for the following last versions of software to support Vista (NOTE: These are only for FREE or TRIAL versions of software whose vendors have provided download links, or the software may be hosted by a trusted source, such as FileHippo.com.):

• Kodi 17.3 - hosted by vendor
  • Adobe Reader X v10.1.16 - hosted by vendor
  • Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 SP1 - hosted by vendor
  • VMware Player 6.0.4 (which must manually be updated to 6.0.7) - hosted by FileHippo
  • Spotify 1.0.24.104 - hosted by FileHippo
  • Paint .NET 3.5.11 - hosted by FileHippo
  • Picasa 3.9.141 Build 259 - hosted by Internet Archive
  • AMD Catalyst 13.12 Display Drivers - hosted by vendor
  • NVIDIA Display Drivers version 365.19 - hosted by vendor
  • Classic Shell 3.6.8 - hosted by vendor on SourceForge
  • SharePoint 2010 (trial - must enter registration key after 180 days or uninstall if unregistered) - hosted by vendor
  • Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 - hosted by vendor
  • WSUS Offline 10.9.2 - hosted by vendor
Edited by WinClient5270
Removed broken FileHippo link to PowerDVD 15 trial

Tested:

Fallout 4 - OK

Fallout Shelter - OK (XP x64 too)

BeamNG.Drive - OK

How to Survive - OK

Rise of Tomb Raider - Fail (TryAcquireSRWLockExclusive could not be located in the dynamic link library Kernel32.dll)

Tom Clancy's The Division - Fail (TryAcquireSRWLockExclusive could not be located in the dynamic link library Kernel32.dll)

Steep - Fail (TryAcquireSRWLockExclusive could not be located in the dynamic link library Kernel32.dll)

State of Decay YOSE - Fail (TryAcquireSRWLockExclusive could not be located in the dynamic link library Kernel32.dll)

+ Also you can install nVidia Display Drivers version 372.54, official site says its supports only Win7+, but it still works on Vista.

Edited by Andreasmir

11 hours ago, Andreasmir said:

Tested:

Fallout 4 - OK

Fallout Shelter - OK (XP x64 too)

BeamNG.Drive - OK

How to Survive - OK

Rise of Tomb Raider - Fail (TryAcquireSRWLockExclusive could not be located in the dynamic link library Kernel32.dll)

Tom Clancy's The Division - Fail (TryAcquireSRWLockExclusive could not be located in the dynamic link library Kernel32.dll)

Steep - Fail (TryAcquireSRWLockExclusive could not be located in the dynamic link library Kernel32.dll)

State of Decay YOSE - Fail (TryAcquireSRWLockExclusive could not be located in the dynamic link library Kernel32.dll)

+ Also you can install nVidia Display Drivers version 372.54, official site says its supports only Win7+, but it still works on Vista.

372.70 also works if you havent noticed,check it out 

Thank you for the information, @Andreasmir! Added them to the list. :)

One question, do the 372.54 drivers require modification to the .INF files to work under Vista, or do they work out of the box? I've went ahead and added them to the list regardless, but I need to add that the .INF files need modification if that is indeed the case. I would test this myself but I can't at the moment. 

With that said, here's the Jan. 31, 2018 SOC...

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR JANUARY 31, 2018:

• Added Skype v7.36.0.150 as the final version for Vista in "Instant messaging/internet communication" section.
  • Added NVIDIA Display Drivers version 372.54 to "NVIDIA Graphics Drivers" section.
  • Added How to Survive in "Games" -> "Last official release to run on Vista" section.
  • Added BeamNG.Drive, Fallout 4, and Fallout Shelter to (ONG) "Games" section.
  • Removed Skype from (ONG) "Instant messaging/internet communication" section.
Edited by WinClient5270

15 hours ago, WinClient5270 said:

Thank you for the information, @Andreasmir! Added them to the list. :)

One question, do the 372.54 drivers require modification to the .INF files to work under Vista, or do they work out of the box? I've went ahead and added them to the list regardless, but I need to add that the .INF files need modification if that is indeed the case. I would test this myself but I can't at the moment. 

With that said, here's the Jan. 31, 2018 SOC...

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR JANUARY 31, 2018:

• Added Skype v7.36.0.150 as the final version for Vista in "Instant messaging/internet communication" section.
  • Added NVIDIA Display Drivers version 372.54 to "NVIDIA Graphics Drivers" section.
  • Added How to Survive in "Games" -> "Last official release to run on Vista" section.
  • Added BeamNG.Drive, Fallout 4, and Fallout Shelter to (ONG) "Games" section.
  • Removed Skype from (ONG) "Instant messaging/internet communication" section.

I will download the 372.54 and see and report back :) ( i do have the ones from softpedia that support vista, will still download from the official nvidia site)

EDIT : IT DOES WORK WITHOUT MODIFICATION!!! to much shock,i think it might be the only official one unless the older ones do support it aswell.

Edited by burd