Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

2 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

Also, I think the newly released Sonic Mania works on Windows Vista... I saw a forum post on Steam of a guy that said he got it working on Vista x64 (take that as you will). I wonder if the game'll run on XP....

i recently saw a brand new game released on steam that supported windows 2000, dont remember the name though ill see if i can find it :P

Edit: Games Name is "RoboCraft", Release Date: 24 Aug, 2017

Edited by burd

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR SEPTEMBER 7, 2017:

• Simplified the information contained in the "Introduction" section to be less overwhelmingly detailed, and more to-the-point.
  • Added links to Last versions of software for Windows 95, Last versions of software for Windows 98, and Last versions of software for Windows 2000 threads in the "Quick Links" section. Also added a link to a new video tutorial on how to get Windows Vista updates until 2020 (video created by me).
  • Updated information about Firefox 52.x ESR: the browser should continue receiving updates until May 2018, rather than the previous Sept. 2017 date.
  • Added Sonic Mania in "Games" "Unofficially works on Vista" subsection, along with a disclaimer that the game has not been tested by anyone on this forum, and compatibility was only verified by word-of-mouth by someone on the Steam forum. If someone here tests the game on Vista and finds it to be working, I will remove this disclaimer.
  • Updated Logitech Gaming Software entry to v8.96.81.
  • Added TorGuard VPN client to (ONG) "VPN clients" section.
  • Removed "Post-EOL updates for Windows Vista" section as the addition of the link to my video tutorial and the side note of information in the "Quick Links" section pretty much eliminates the need for it (big thanks to MSFN user @greenhillmaniac for allowing me to link to his Server 2008 update repository in my video).

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR SEPTEMBER 12, 2017:

• Updated Dolphin Emulator to UNS status, after discovering here that the application is not officially supported on Windows Vista. This has been the case for a long time and I did not know about it until today, so this change does not signify any undesirable changes in compatibility or functionality in the latest release of Dolphin for Windows Vista users. Even the latest "Development" releases of Dolphin continue to work just fine in Windows Vista. I also previously failed to mention that the application is 64-bit only, so this information has been added.
  • Added GPU-Z to (ONG) "Hardware identification and temperature management" section.
  • Added download links for .NET Framework 4.6.0 and 4.6.1.
  • Added HideMe VPN to (ONG) "VPN Clients" section.
Edited by 2008WindowsVista

On 9/13/2017 at 12:51 PM, burd said:

PirateBrowser

Firefox + Tor Browser Combined

I'm sorry, but PirateBrowser has been discontinued, so I don't think I'll bother adding it. The last update to the browser was in April of 2015, and the PirateBrowser domain has been down for quite sometime (since December 2015), giving solid evidence that the browser will no longer be updated. You can still view it on Wayback Machine here, though.

9 hours ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

I'm sorry, but PirateBrowser has been discontinued, so I don't think I'll bother adding it. The last update to the browser was in April of 2015, and the PirateBrowser domain has been down for quite sometime (since December 2015), giving solid evidence that the browser will no longer be updated. You can still view it on Wayback Machine here, though.

i got recent 2017 updates lol,its based on tor i think for updates

Edited by burd

2 hours ago, burd said:

i got recent 2017 updates lol,its based on tor i think for updates

Does your existing, and recently updated, browser identify itself as Firefox, or as PirateBrowser? 

Cheers and Regards

8 hours ago, bphlpt said:

Does your existing, and recently updated, browser identify itself as Firefox, or as PirateBrowser? 

Cheers and Regards

Tor and Firefox(52esr)

Edited by burd

On 8/31/2017 at 10:43 AM, burd said:

Logitech Gaming Software 8.96.81 Still works on vista

I wonder how long it will work on vista because support for vista ended in 2016

Glad That it keeps working though :D

Vista still has a long life ahead of it even without updates :)
XP is still pretty alive in 2017 with a bunch of software still supporting it. Vista has a very similar code to 7, so occasionally programs designed for 7 or later may accidentally work on Vista, :) too bad that isn't the case for xp xD

An example of a program working unintentionally was Qupzilla 1.66 on Windows 2000.

A nice web browser that still supports Vista is Maxthon, Qupzilla?, Palemoon?, and Dooble.

On 9/16/2017 at 11:10 AM, burd said:

Tor and Firefox(52esr)

I downloaded (what is supposed to be) the browser) from MajorGeeks and it appeared to be nothing more than a re-packaged version of Tor... I think simply listing Tor Browser and Firefox 52 ESR shall continue to saffice. I see no difference between them and this browser that warrants a new entry.

4 hours ago, burd said:

Thanks a lot for trying the game out on Vista, I will now remove the disclaimer.

2 hours ago, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

Vista still has a long life ahead of it even without updates :)
XP is still pretty alive in 2017 with a bunch of software still supporting it. Vista has a very similar code to 7, so occasionally programs designed for 7 or later may accidentally work on Vista, :) too bad that isn't the case for xp xD

An example of a program working unintentionally was Qupzilla 1.66 on Windows 2000.

A nice web browser that still supports Vista is Maxthon, Qupzilla?, Palemoon?, and Dooble.

Thanks for letting me know about Maxthon. I have added it to the ongoing support section. I personally couldn't get Qupzilla 2.0.1 to install in Vista (installer gave an NSIS error), and 2.0.2 would install and run, but as soon as I tried to load any webpages with it, it crashed the entire operating system. It is for this reason that I added Qupzilla 1.8.9 as the true last version for Vista.

Pale Moon and Dooble are already in the ONG section. Pale Moon IMHO is the best browser choice for Windows Vista. As I mentioned earlier, the main developers actually listened to me when I told them about the problems with the 64-bit version of the browser under Vista back in June 2017. Instead of backing out of supporting Vista or blaming me for using an "obsolete" operating system, the problem was fixed and the browser works better than ever.
In addition to the former, it also utilizes Windows Vista's features quite well, such as DirectWrite font rendering and system codec support (these were added in Platform Update and Platform Update Supplement for Windows Vista), something that Google never managed to (properly) pull off with Chrome.
Speaking of Chrome, even Windows Aero was no longer utilized in Google Chrome under Vista after version 40, due to Google discontinuing development for the Vista version of Chrome and simply throwing Vista on XP's version of Chrome... To this day, it irks me that this occurred. They can blame "low usage" and "lack of feedback" all they want to, but I know d*** well that they did it as an excuse to drop Vista and XP support simultaneously. Kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. The fact that Mozilla and Moonchild managed to pull these things off just fine without the apparent need for "feedback" doesn't help Google's case.

Oh well, who needs Chrome when we have Pale Moon, Slimjet 10, and Firefox 52 ESR? :D

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR SEPTEMBER 17, 2017:

• Removed Sonic Mania disclaimer, as the game has now been tested by MSFN member burd and confirmed to be working on Vista.
  • Added Maxthon to (ONG) "Web browsers" "Multi-engine supported browsers" subsection.
  • Simplified link descriptions in the "Quick Links" section to be less overly detailed and more to-the-point.