Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

1 hour ago, 11ryanc said:

I used Vista on my MSI Z97 PC Mate/4790k build for several months. Each boot had a 50/50 chance of success. Even more troubling, the OS began to break after a few months of usage. Eventually I couldn't even use ClearType rendering. Updates would also fail and revert back to previous state. That very well may have just been the hard drive though. I'm very curious as to how Vista is with your config? I may get a spare SSD and give it another whirl.

To the OP, @2008WindowsVista:

Would you mind testing the TorGuard VPN client under Vista? It uses OpenVPN and a Chromium based wrapper for the client GUI. Secondly, Planet Explorers (indie sandbox game). There is a free demo. It doesn't officially support Windows Vista, however I've used older builds back in 2015/16 with success after installing the required dependencies and disabling OpenCL. https://steamcommunity.com/app/237870/discussions/0/540735426811547416/

All efforts to preserve the OS and provide support to other users is very much appreciated :)

Im using Vista Business x64 on Skylake 6770HQ and A HDD nothing special, it has some bugs but it can be bypassed i almost never reboot its like auto fixed itself or something,also one thing to note is that the bug is related to dual booting if you go from like windows 7 or 8 to vista the bug will happen the only way to fix this is to have only vista installed, i could also test torguard vpn client and planetexplorers if you'd like :)

Edited by burd

On 8/9/2017 at 10:27 AM, dencorso said:

Ditto for XP. And Sandy or Ivy Bridges are still pretty powerful for day-to-day use and much less expensive than razor-edge hardware. :thumbup

On 8/9/2017 at 9:24 AM, 2008WindowsVista said:

This is somewhat off topic, but since my motherboard died on me after getting damaged in a power surge, I decided to invest in higher-end Ivy Bridge hardware so I could run a wider range of operating systems, namely Vista. After rebuilding the machine, I installed Vista and have decided to use it as my main OS once again, for the first time since 2015. There are no weird startup errors or failed services as I experienced with running the OS on Haswell-based hardware. As such, I'll be able to test software natively (instead of using VMware), so hopefully everyone's submissions to the list will be added more quickly from now on.

If you ask me, those seeking to run Vista on semi-modern hardware (natively) should consider investing in Sandy or Ivy Bridge - they're simply less troublesome to deal with when running Vista, and (Vista) driver support is definitely superior. The symptoms experienced when running Vista on Haswell+ are just extremely annoying to deal with, and there's really no way to work around them unless you don't mind having to reboot several times to get a stable session of the OS going, or if you just don't reboot that often. I still am stumped as to what causes this bug, and why only Vista is affected, but I've pretty much accepted that it's never going to get fixed and that using older (not necessarily inferior) hardware is going to be the best way to go at this point.

Anyway, getting back on topic: since the sum of changes for Aug. 8 is so small, I'll simply consolidate it with this post:

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR AUGUST 8, 2017:

• Added Microsoft Mathematics Add-In for Word and OneNote to "Additional Microsoft software" section.
  • Added Logmein Hamachi to (ONG) "VPN Clients" section.

I have rebuilt my main system as per suggestion of dencorso as Z68 is better for XP than Z77 ( i7 3770k + 32GB RAM + GTX 980Ti+500GB SSD is over kill for me  ) year ago /

Unfortunately i am unable to find a Z68 board so i have been forced to use Z77 . USb 3.0 ports are running at usb 2.0 speed 

I have nearly 400  Software . My friends says they will have nightmare if they open my all programs in start menu.

I donot feel slow down . System startup with in 16Sec  . I use RAM disks for heavy applications . 

Ivy bridge and Sandy bridge are less buggy than newer generation . They are easily overclock-able than newer regarding stability .

My one is running at 4.5GHz with corsair water cooler .( with out single over volt)

Skylake/Kabylake has many other bugs ... even under supported platform ...

See this videos

Edited by Dibya

In light of today's announcement of MSFN potentially shutting down for good, I will be searching for an alternative forum to post this list. Although I believe no forum will match MSFN for various reasons, I believe this is the best course of action in order to preserve the information gathered here for the public to view, and also to allow it to continue growing. I will announce my decision here on this thread when I've come to one. Right now I'm considering BleepingComputer and Ryanvm, but I haven't really dug into each one to decide what would be best yet.

Thanks to everyone for all the submissions and support for the list over the past year and a half; I hope to see you all at the new thread location for the list (wherever that happens to be)...

5 minutes ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

In light of today's announcement of MSFN potentially shutting down for good, I will be searching for an alternative forum to post this list. Although I believe no forum will match MSFN for various reasons, I believe this is the best course of action in order to preserve the information gathered here for the public to view, and also to allow it to continue growing. I will announce my decision here on this thread when I've come to one. Right now I'm considering BleepingComputer and Ryanvm, but I haven't really dug into each one to decide what would be best yet.

Thanks to everyone for all the submissions and support for the list over the past year and a half; I hope to see you all at the new thread location for the list (wherever that happens to be)...

I might consider BleepingComputer and Ryanvm or Vistax64 forums since im already a member there,hope i will see you in the very near future :)

I am happy to announce that I will be holding off (hopefully indefinitely) on posting this list to an alternative forum, since MSFN will remain online for at least another month (hopefully much, much longer...). I also don't want to be committed to updating the topic on another forum.

Let the submissions resume! :)

Edited by 2008WindowsVista

Additional Microsoft software/utilities:
Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2013 Database Tool (Download)

The Business Contact Manager for Outlook Database Tool allows administrators to host Business Contact Manager for Outlook databases on a computer on which Microsoft Office 2013 and Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2013 are not installed. Once installed on a server, this tool will allow users to:

• Create and back up Business Contact Manager 2013 databases. To create a database, the user must be the local administrator.
  • Restore databases from Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2013, Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2010, Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2007 and Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2003.
  • Share Business Contact Manager databases with other users on a local network.
  • Migrate databases from Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2010 and Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2007.

The tool ensures that the necessary firewall ports are opened, that users are granted permission to the database, and that the SQL instance is configured to allow external connections. These operations require the user to be a local administrator. A supported version of SQL Server needs to be present in order to use this tool. Currently, this tool supports 2005 and 2008 versions of Microsoft SQL Server.

Supports 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista Service Pack 2 and Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2.

On 11/8/2017 at 8:27 PM, 2008WindowsVista said:

I am happy to announce that I will be holding off (hopefully indefinitely) on posting this list to an alternative forum, since MSFN will remain online for at least another month (hopefully much, much longer...). I also don't want to be committed to updating the topic on another forum.

Let the submissions resume! :)

Do you make a bakcup of this thread on Web Archive site? that helps for people who dosnt find new page

For me, the best browser on vista its UCBrowser, i received a update two weeks ago ,  fluid and stable,FF 52 feels slow using both at the same time.

My Windows 10 drive died,so i stay on vista until my drive dies

Overwatch runs on Vista fine, my cousin installed without problems,rockstar probably keeps support for gta v on Vista, at this point of his life i dont expect a major update like the crew with his new graphics,saddly vista support was drop, Battlefield 4 last UI Update works on Vista and let switch to Battlefield 1 on the game (i wish someone could mod the installer setup to make it run, 372,70 drivers add support to BTF 1 ,so , its possible run this game  , ignoring the the old drivers and missing dll's )

17 hours ago, yousuckstoo said:

UCBrowser

Yes, I have tried that; has some minor issues, though... But it's based on Chrome 50.0.2661.102 code, so quite old already from a performance and security standpoint...

Even if the (Chinese?) devs are actively patching security holes, 50.0.2661.102 is/was the last version of Chrome that would run on Vista SP2, this fact alone makes me pessimistic about future Vista compatibility/support...

The Slimjet devs dropped Vista support when they had to move to Chromium > 53 codebase, the Russian devs of Yandex Browser managed to keep Vista support even when their code was based on Chromium 57 (last version of Yandex Browser that supported Vista SP2 was 17.4.0.2461, code based on Chrome 57.0.2987.137); Yandex no longer supports XP/Vista :angry::(

13 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

Yes, I have tried that; has some minor issues, though... But it's based on Chrome 50.0.2661.102 code, so quite old already from a performance and security standpoint...

Even if the (Chinese?) devs are actively patching security holes, 50.0.2661.102 is/was the last version of Chrome that would run on Vista SP2, this fact alone makes me pessimistic about future Vista compatibility/support...

The Slimjet devs dropped Vista support when they had to move to Chromium > 53 codebase, the Russian devs of Yandex Browser managed to keep Vista support even when their code was based on Chromium 57 (last version of Yandex Browser that supported Vista SP2 was 17.4.0.2461, code based on Chrome 57.0.2987.137); Yandex no longer supports XP/Vista :angry::(

try epic browser (shows unsupported for vista but still works) based on chrome 58

23 hours ago, burd said:

try epic browser (shows unsupported for vista but still works) based on chrome 58

I have! But in all honesty, it's not a browser I can use as my main Vista browser:

1. It's focused on Privacy and Security, thus it doesn't store any browsing/download history (gets wiped out upon exit - no way to override that... ); plus, it won't allow you to resume a previous tabbing session :angry:

2. Has a nasty bug when trying to open a bookmarks folder placed on the bookmarks toolbar (won't let you inspect the content of the folder, is only able to open all bookmarks within the folder in equal number of tabs.

3. Its WMF/MSE support on Vista SP2 is broken (much like Firefox 53); so it can't use system codecs for h.264/aac playback, either as standalone MP4/m4a files or AV streams encoded in h.264/aac; you can also perform the youtube HTML5 test where you'll discover both "H.264" + "H.264 & MSE" are disabled (red).

4. The real deal breaker is that Epic Browser doesn't accept ANY EXTENSIONS from Google store, including themes, thus its overall functionality (as a Chrome 58 based browser) is severely limited to basic web browsing... :angry: Its own webstore (only viewable with Epic Browser) currently only lists 7 (security related) extensions!

Quite frankly, the only feature I found semi-useful was its built-in Epic (encrypted) Proxy, which, among making you more invisible on the net - plugins disabled for that, it does allow for accessing geo-filtered content... :cool:

Edited by VistaLover

38 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

3. Its WMF/MSE support on Vista SP2 is broken (much like Firefox 53); so it can't use system codecs for h.264/aac playback, either as standalone MP4/m4a files or AV streams encoded in h.264/aac; you can also perform the youtube HTML5 test where you'll discover both "H.264" + "H.264 & MSE" are disabled (red).

i think html5 worked for me,did you allow plugins and extensions to be used? ill use it and let you know anyhow

Thanks everyone for the submissions! I have added them and will mention them in the Aug. 22, 2017 SOC. :)

Speaking of browsers, I personally find Pale Moon x86 to be the best all-around browser for Windows Vista at the moment. It still receives major version updates on the OS quite often, and multimedia/codec support has been greatly improved with 27.4. The x64 version works fine as well, but YouTube was somewhat broken for me with it... I had to enable "MSE for WebM video" in Options to get any videos to play. The x86 version is not affected by this. The overall browser's UI fits Vista and Windows 7 quite well, and the browser has not adopted an ugly, unfitting material design UI, which is a plus.
It's also worth noting that the head developer actually listened to me when I pointed out the problems with the outdated MS Visual C run-time library DLLs causing the x64 version of the browser to not load in Windows Vista, and he fixed the issue no questions asked without pinning the blame on me for using an "outdated" operating system. I can definitely respect and appreciate that.

On another note, while almost all other browsing options are at a dead end for Vista (whether by placing Vista on a security-only release, announcing that Vista support will be dropped soon, or just simply dropping support for it altogether), in the case of Pale Moon, it does not seem as if this will happen anytime soon. The browser has slowly isolated itself away from Mozilla's code changes/decisions, and as such, OS-support decisions made by Mozilla mostly don't affect Pale Moon at all, which means that Vista support is likely to continue for the foreseeable future. I certainly recommend Pale Moon over all other browsing options if you're running Vista, or even newer versions of Windows.
However, the aforementioned departure from Mozilla's decisions does bring with it some downsides... since the browser is not a simple branch of Firefox anymore, certain extensions for FF won't work with PM. I don't know of any examples off the top of my head but I have seen a few users complaining about that before a while back. The extensions I use aren't affected by that so it isn't an issue for me, personally.

On 8/20/2017 at 1:15 AM, yousuckstoo said:

Do you make a bakcup of this thread on Web Archive site? that helps for people who dosnt find new page

@11ryanc did. It's a version of the thread from a few days ago before today's additions were added in, however, so it's not 100% identical. I do keep an offline copy of the list (in .docx format) updated though.
Thanks to the recent donations (and disabling of ad-blockers), the chances of MSFN going down anytime soon are getting thin though, so I won't be moving the list to a new forum unless that happens. If it does happen, I have picked BleepingComputer as the alternative forum for the list, so be looking for it on there (if MSFN does go down, of course).

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR AUGUST 22, 2017:

• Moved Internet Explorer 9 to "Independently-based" "Web browsers" subsection. This change was made so that the title of IE's subsection was consistent with the rest of the subsections, in that the title is written based on the browser's codebase name, not the rendering engine.
  • Added Yandex Browser v17.4.0.2461 to "Chromium based" "Web browsers" subsection.
  • Added Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2013 Database Tool to "Additional Microsoft software" section.
  • Added UC Browser to (ONG) "Chromium based" "Web browsers" subsection.

Logitech Gaming Software 8.96.81 Still works on vista

I wonder how long it will work on vista because support for vista ended in 2016

Glad That it keeps working though :D