Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

1 hour ago, GTAGAME said:

Nope, it says that it's not a valid Win32 application.

That may be due only to the Major/Minor OS version settings in the PE executable, a lot of executables (thanks Microsoft for having set compiler defaults to a higher OS version at each release of Visual Studio) are - accidentally - set to a higher version that what is really needed by the actual source code, I cannot count the exe's that work on XP just fine once the OS is set correctly. (not necessarily this is the case here)

jaclaz

Something to keep in mind.

The latest version of the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (MRT) for Windows Vista, version 5.47 (KB890830), was published on 4/11/2017, the day extended support for Windows Vista ended. Microsoft states that it "releases a new version of the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool every month"; therefore, the version scheduled for release in May might not support Windows Vista, given the company's previous track record with (abysmal) support for that operating system (Windows XP reportedly received updates to MRT for over a year after extended support ended).

Antivirus:

Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool 5.47 (FREE, CS)

Edited by Werewolf

On 4/20/2017 at 5:13 PM, Werewolf said:

Something to keep in mind.

The latest version of the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (MRT) for Windows Vista, version 5.47 (KB890830), was published on 4/11/2017, the day extended support for Windows Vista ended. Microsoft states that it "releases a new version of the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool every month"; therefore, the version scheduled for release in May might not support Windows Vista, given the company's previous track record with (abysmal) support for that operating system (Windows XP reportedly received updates to MRT for over a year after extended support ended).

Antivirus:

Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool 5.47 (FREE, CS)

Thanks for the information and addition. Perhaps MSRT will support Vista for a while longer, as Windows 8.0 is still supported. Just have to wait and see.

• 2 weeks later...

i think these should be added to the list

SuperAntiSpyware (Antivirus)
Palemoon 27.3.0 (Web Browser)(Even Supports XP As of Yet)
MalwareBytes (Supports XP aswell)

Edited by burd

On 5/7/2017 at 3:37 AM, burd said:

i think these should be added to the list

SuperAntiSpyware (Antivirus)
Palemoon 27.3.0 (Web Browser)(Even Supports XP As of Yet)
MalwareBytes (Supports XP aswell)

Added SuperAntiSpyware... The other two are already on the list, and since Pale Moon continues to support Vista, I won't specify a version number, since it's constantly changing. Once the final version of Pale Moon is released for Vista (whenever that may be), I will add it to the list.

3 hours ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

Added SuperAntiSpyware... The other two are already on the list, and since Pale Moon continues to support Vista, I won't specify a version number, since it's constantly changing. Once the final version of Pale Moon is released for Vista (whenever that may be), I will add it to the list.

Yes,i dont know how i didnt see malwarebytes on the list

Logitech Gaming Software 8.81 was the last version to support vista

but the latest software still works,i use the latest one which only supports 7+

Bullguard Antivirus
F-Secure Internet Security
eset nod32
trend micro internet security
eScan Antivirus/Antispam (Still Supports Windows 2000 SP4 Rollup 1)

Most of these Support XP SP2+ Aswell

Digital audio workstations:

Avid Pro Tools 10 ($$$, CS, UNS) - despite dropping support of XP/Vista from 9 onwards, both 9 and 10 versions can be installed - 9 as far as I remember without problems, but PT10 requires editing MSI file in Orca. Just find the Avid Pro Tools.msi in the installation folder (it's hidden maybe, I don't remember) and fire it up in Orca. Search the LaunchCondition section and delete something like "VersionNT >601...". You can also delete the RAM limitation memory check, it starts something like "PhysicalMemory>=1024" or 2048. Pro Tools notifies itself about less than 2GB of RAM at launch, but that trick allow you to install it on lower amount of memory.

Probably newer versions doesn't work, since they have an audio engine rewritten and 64-bit only. I've got Vista 32 so I'm not able to check.

WARNING! Avid Virtual Instruments 10 doesn't work on Vista and lower. Probably it's due to the newer version of Windows Installer. Removing entries from LaunchCondition changes nothing.

Audio editing software:

Sony Sound Forge 11.0.272 ($$$, CS, UNS) - it's the last version of the Sound Forge working on Vista officially. However, I haven't tried newer builds, maybe there is a way to install it.

Multimedia:

Winamp (FREE, CS, UNS) - it hasn't been updated since few years, but there is a unofficially patched latest official version fixing some bugs. You can obtain it from the Winamp forums: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=374929

Most likely the last one. ;(

More software will be added later. ;)

On 5/24/2017 at 11:18 AM, 2008WindowsVista said:

Thanks for the additions, all. Sorry it took so long to add them, I've been quite busy with other things lately so I just got around to adding them.

No Worries,Just Glad to give my additions to the list. :)

Im probably the only user who has top notch hardware on vista i think :P

i7 6700HQ
GTX 1060
12GB RAM
1TB HDD 
:D

Thanks for the addition, Werewolf.

NOTE: Waterfox 53.0.3 is the final release for Windows Vista. Later versions require the TryAquireSRWLockExclusive function located in KERNEL32.DLL, which is a Windows 7+ function. However, after a discussion about it with the head developer himself, he said he would consider doing a separate release for older systems, which I presume to be Vista/XP x64.

You can view our discussion here: https://github.com/MrAlex94/Waterfox/issues/166