Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

On 1/4/2017 at 10:00 PM, JodyT said:

@2008WindowsVista, I forgot about Cyberfox.  I'll have to remember that one if I need to resinstall Vista

I'd actually recommend Waterfox over that, as it is still officially supported on Vista. But Cyberfox works too, for now. They'll probably both stop updating once Mozilla finally throws in the towel come Firefox 52.

Also, looks like the new Slimjet 13 beta doesn't work on Windows Vista, throwing up a BEX "stopped working" error when attempting to run it. So it looks like Slimjet 12.0.15.0 is the end of the line for Vista (they might push out one or two more minor updates to Slimjet 12 before 13 final comes out). I guess the Chromium world on Vista has finally come to an end.

Supposedly, Slimjet 10 and Opera 36 are supposed to still continue to receive security updates to a point on XP and Vista, but they're infrequently updated, with the last update to Slimjet 10 being in October 2016 and Opera 36 being in April 2016, which really only leaves Pale Moon or SeaMonkey as the only viable options (K-Meleon is also infrequently updated, at least for now).

Unless someone miraculously comes out with unofficial updates for Vista to add missing Windows 7/8.x kernel functions, I think we can expect Vista to become about as usable as vanilla Windows 2000 in the next 3-5 years or so, unfortunately.

Edited by 2008WindowsVista

This list is a great idea! Glad I didn't think of it (too much like work). I'm new to MSFN, but Vista and I go way back.

PDF viewers:

Adobe Reader XI does support Server 2008 (https://helpx.adobe.com/reader/kb/system-requirements-adobe-reader.html), which probably explains why it's UNS (works) on Vista. My only issue is that its Updater doesn't work, so patches must be applied manually. Reader XI's EOL should be coming around October.

I don't use Foxit Reader, but noticed many months ago that its system requirements (https://www.foxitsoftware.com/products/pdf-reader/) no longer list Vista or XP. However I don't see this change in their version history (https://www.foxitsoftware.com/products/pdf-reader/version-history.php).

Apple software:

The Data Execution Prevention errors began with iTunes 11.2 (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6241945). (I'm using 11.1.5 because it does not have the issue.) The ability to sync with older iOS devices using iTunes 12.1.3 was finally broken by iOS 10.2 (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7799391).

Antivirus:

A list of antivirus products that have already ended support for Vista can be found at https://www.vistax64.com/system-security/304411-vista-no-longer-supported-some-security-software.html. Your list of ONG AVs looks terribly short, but where to begin? Panda and Webroot come to mind.

3 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

This list is a great idea! Glad I didn't think of it (too much like work). I'm new to MSFN, but Vista and I go way back.

PDF viewers:

Adobe Reader XI does support Server 2008 (https://helpx.adobe.com/reader/kb/system-requirements-adobe-reader.html), which probably explains why it's UNS (works) on Vista. My only issue is that its Updater doesn't work, so patches must be applied manually. Reader XI's EOL should be coming around October.

I don't use Foxit Reader, but noticed many months ago that its system requirements (https://www.foxitsoftware.com/products/pdf-reader/) no longer list Vista or XP. However I don't see this change in their version history (https://www.foxitsoftware.com/products/pdf-reader/version-history.php).

Apple software:

The Data Execution Prevention errors began with iTunes 11.2 (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6241945). (I'm using 11.1.5 because it does not have the issue.) The ability to sync with older iOS devices using iTunes 12.1.3 was finally broken by iOS 10.2 (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7799391).

Antivirus:

A list of antivirus products that have already ended support for Vista can be found at https://www.vistax64.com/system-security/304411-vista-no-longer-supported-some-security-software.html. Your list of ONG AVs looks terribly short, but where to begin? Panda and Webroot come to mind.

Thank you for the information, and welcome to MSFN! I ran Vista from 2007 to 2015 with minimal issues, I only upgraded to Windows 8.1 due to the lack of proper Haswell support under Vista, but it isn't 8.1 as you know it: http://prntscr.com/dxh3ka

I didn't even know that Reader XI supported Server 2008, I figured it only worked on Vista because XP was still supported (gotta love Adobe logic). Good to know that Server 2008 is supported; I'll update the list to reflect that. As for Foxit, I tested the latest version of it on Vista a few weeks ago and it worked flawlessly, but I'll test it again to make sure this still holds up.

Thanks for clarifying the DEP error w/ iTunes, I wasn't sure what version exactly started this issue but I do recall getting it somewhere in the 11.x series, hence the "around" 11.1 that I emphasized in the list. I'll fix that.

Thanks for the AV list, I'll add those to the list in a new AV section (not in ONG section). If you can think of anymore AVs (or any other programs for that matter) that aren't listed, let me know and I'll add them. :)

EDIT: the list has been significantly updated. You should check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

DCC Programs:

Autodesk 3dsmax 2012 

Autodesk 3dsmax design 2012

Autodesk Maya 2012

Autodesk Mudbox 2012

Edit: It appears the 2013 applications do not support Vista but support XP. 

Edit 2: I have managed to install programs that don't support vista like Substance Painter 2 and the Epic Games Launcher. I did this by moving the Windows 7 Windows Installer into Vista's Windows Installer folder and re-naming Vista's one to msiexec.old.exe. Unfortunately when I run the programs it gives me an error:  

kernel.png

So what I did was I moved all the folders and files pertaining to this Kernel32.dll from Windows 7 into Vista and I renamed the old Vista files to Kernel32.old.dll and Kernel32.old.mui respectively. Windows 7 had 2 more extra folders to do with the Kernel so I just moved them over. Unfortunately I still get the same error :(

Edited by Alex21788

On 2/18/2017 at 0:01 AM, Alex21788 said:

DCC Programs:

Autodesk 3dsmax 2012 

Autodesk Maya 2012

Autodesk Mudbox 2012

Edit 2: I have managed to install programs that don't support vista like Substance Painter 2 and the Epic Games Launcher. I did this by moving the Windows 7 Windows Installer into Vista's Windows Installer folder and re-naming Vista's one to msiexec.old.exe. Unfortunately when I run the programs it gives me an error:  

kernel.png

So what I did was I moved all the folders and files pertaining to this Kernel32.dll from Windows 7 into Vista and I renamed the old Vista files to Kernel32.old.dll and Kernel32.old.mui respectively. Windows 7 had 2 more extra folders to do with the Kernel so I just moved them over. Unfortunately I still get the same error :(

You cannot move kernel32 from one os to another , they depends on internal kernel structure . How much vista and se7en seems equal they are not in respect of many places of internal structure . Same way you cannot use Kernel32 of xp in 2000 but for unknown reason 2k3 sp1 kernel32 work on xp with respective ntdll.

I just started using Vista Business 32 bit recently and wanted you guys to know on the gaming front that Alien Isolation on steam works great even though it lists win7 as the earliest compatible OS.  For some reason however the latest version of Malwarebytes acts haywire at times, I ended up just dropping back to 1.75 and it works with no issues and still takes new malware updates.

Edited by OldSchool38
cant spell correctly to save my life!

18 minutes ago, OldSchool38 said:

I just started using Vista Business 32 bit recently and wanted you guys to know on the gaming front that Alien Isolation on steam works great even though it lists win7 as the earliest compatible OS.  For some reason however the latest version of Malwarebytes acts haywire at times, I ended up just dropping back to 1.75 and it works with no issues and still takes new malware updates.

It's perfectly normal that most games that list 7 as a minimum still work on Vista, since both have DirectX 11... As an example: http://steamcommunity.com/app/208650/discussions/0/615086038677678684/

"Hey you all, guess what, it (Batman Arkham Knight) DOES work on vista. I'm running it on a vista, and it works amazing. Well the only main problem is my 4gb memory. Upgrading it in a bit. My computer has Intel Core i3, 4gb Memory, Nvidia GeForce GT 740, and Operating System Windows Vista."

On 2/17/2017 at 1:31 PM, Alex21788 said:

DCC Programs:

Autodesk 3dsmax 2012 

Autodesk Maya 2012

Autodesk Mudbox 2012

kernel.png

Sort of a late response, but thanks for the additions. Added them to the list.

Similarly to Autodesk AutoCAD 2013/2014, I'm wondering if the 2013 suite of applications that you mentioned will also run on Vista by running the software in Windows XP compatibility mode. I'm willing to bet that it would, but I'm not able to test that software as I don't own it.

On 1/17/2017 at 7:35 PM, 2008WindowsVista said:

I'd actually recommend Waterfox over that, as it is still officially supported on Vista. But Cyberfox works too, for now. They'll probably both stop updating once Mozilla finally throws in the towel come Firefox 52.

Especially the case now that Cyberfox is biting the dust.  Cyberfox will shift to 52 ESR (likely today) and then die once the ESR cycle has completed.

:(

On 3/9/2017 at 9:52 PM, JodyT said:

Especially the case now that Cyberfox is biting the dust.  Cyberfox will shift to 52 ESR (likely today) and then die once the ESR cycle has completed.

:(

I am no more afraid . My ExtendedXPv 1.4(not released to public) is running firefox 55 Beta plus for now i am on palemoon which is working fine with ExtendedXP .

58ccdaee3adda_FTPVoyager.thumb.png.b1609548a337ee5b4209d44f007ea1e1.png

Another free FTP client that supports Windows Vista is FTP Voyager by SolarWinds. It is unique among FTP clients in that it uses the Microsoft Office 2007 Ribbon design; it includes theme customization options and support for KeyTips.

The latest version is 16.2.0.328. FTP Voyager requires users to register when downloaded from the official website; however, mirror websites such as Softpedia require no registration.

EMET.png.85739e848481721553b3149f8d88edb9.png

On the subject of additional Microsoft software, the company's Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) 5.52 supports Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2).

A few other things that I did not see listed.

Blogging:
Open Live Writer (FREE; OS)
The open source replacement for Windows Live Writer; uses the Scenic Ribbon.

Instant messaging:
Telegram Desktop (FREE; OS)

Microsoft software:
Microsoft Mathematics 4.0 (FREE; CS)
A graphic calculator with advanced equation functionality; uses the Scenic Ribbon for its interface. Requires Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2).

Microsoft Windows Live Essentials 2011 (FREE; CS)
The official download link referenced in this article by Microsoft is no longer operational; however, the offline installer for all languages was archived, allowing users to install the software even without a connection to the Internet. Includes Bing Bar, Family Safety, Mail, Messenger Companion, Microsoft Silverlight, Movie Maker, Outlook Connector Pack, Photo Gallery, Windows Live Mesh, Windows Live Messenger, and Windows Live Writer.

Support for Windows Live Mesh and Windows Live Messenger was discontinued on February 13, 2013 and April 8, 2013, respectively. As of 2016 Mail can no longer connect to Outlook.com. I am not aware of any incompatibility with online services (e.g., if one cannot login to Movie Maker with a Microsoft account) but the local application features (e.g., video editing) are still functional. Note that Mail, Movie Maker, Photo Gallery, and Writer use the Scenic Ribbon for their user interfaces.

Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 (FREE; CS)
A synchronization program that allows users to sync with devices running Windows Mobile 2003 or later.

Windows USB/DVD Download Tool (FREE; OS)
A utility that allows one to create bootable optical media or USB flash drives with ISO files.

Security:
SpywareBlaster (FREE; CS)
An application that blocks tracking cookies and other malicious third-party items. Supports Windows 2000 as well.

System Analysis:
Belarc Advisor (FREE; CS)

Video/photo editing software:
VSDC Free Video Converter (FREE; CS)
Unique among video converters in that, like FTP Voyager, it also uses the Office 2007 Ribbon for its user interface.

VSDC Free Video Editor (FREE; CS)
Also uses the Office 2007 Ribbon. A paid version is also available.

Viewers and Editors:
Notepad++ (FREE; OS)

Resource Hacker (FREE; CS)

Window management software:
AquaSnap 1.17.1 (FREE, $$$$; CS)
Provides window management features similar to those present in Windows 7 (e.g., Aero Shake) to previous versions of Windows. Version 1.17.1 is the last version officially compatible with Windows Vista and Windows XP. It is no longer supported by Nurgo Software but it can still be downloaded either as MSI file or as a portable installation.

Edited by Werewolf
Windows Live Writer 2011 Scenic Ribbon

On 3/19/2017 at 1:47 PM, Werewolf said:

A few other things that I did not see listed.

Blogging:
Open Live Writer (FREE; OS)
The open source replacement for Windows Live Writer; uses the Scenic Ribbon.

Instant messaging:
Telegram Desktop (FREE; OS)

Microsoft software:
Microsoft Mathematics 4.0 (FREE; CS)
A graphic calculator with advanced equation functionality; uses the Scenic Ribbon for its interface. Requires Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2).

Microsoft Windows Live Essentials 2011 (FREE; CS)
The official download link referenced in this article by Microsoft is no longer operational; however, the offline installer for all languages was archived, allowing users to install the software even without a connection to the Internet. Includes Bing Bar, Family Safety, Mail, Messenger Companion, Microsoft Silverlight, Movie Maker, Outlook Connector Pack, Photo Gallery, Windows Live Mesh, Windows Live Messenger, and Windows Live Writer.

Support for Windows Live Mesh and Windows Live Messenger was discontinued on February 13, 2013 and April 8, 2013, respectively. As of 2016 Mail can no longer connect to Outlook.com. I am not aware of any incompatibility with online services (e.g., if one cannot login to Movie Maker with a Microsoft account) but the local application features (e.g., video editing) are still functional. Note that Mail, Movie Maker, Photo Gallery, and Writer use the Scenic Ribbon for their user interfaces.

Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 (FREE; CS)
A synchronization program that allows users to sync with devices running Windows Mobile 2003 or later.

Windows USB/DVD Download Tool (FREE; OS)
A utility that allows one to create bootable optical media or USB flash drives with ISO files.

Security:
SpywareBlaster (FREE; CS)
An application that blocks tracking cookies and other malicious third-party items. Supports Windows 2000 as well.

System Analysis:
Belarc Advisor (FREE; CS)

Video/photo editing software:
VSDC Free Video Converter (FREE; CS)
Unique among video converters in that, like FTP Voyager, it also uses the Office 2007 Ribbon for its user interface.

VSDC Free Video Editor (FREE; CS)
Also uses the Office 2007 Ribbon. A paid version is also available.

Viewers and Editors:
Notepad++ (FREE; OS)

Resource Hacker (FREE; CS)

Window management software:
AquaSnap 1.17.1 (FREE, $$$$; CS)
Provides window management features similar to those present in Windows 7 (e.g., Aero Shake) to previous versions of Windows. Version 1.17.1 is the last version officially compatible with Windows Vista and Windows XP. It is no longer supported by Nurgo Software but it can still be downloaded either as MSI file or as a portable installation.

My goodness; thank you for all of those additions, and welcome to MSFN! 

Added all of those to the list (or at least I think so, lol)

On 3/20/2017 at 7:33 PM, 2008WindowsVista said:

My goodness; thank you for all of those additions, and welcome to MSFN! 

Added all of those to the list (or at least I think so, lol)

Thank you!

You seem to have forgotten SpywareBlaster.

I believe that I may have another for you. Unfortunately, with the release of version 10.9.2, the most recent change log of WSUS Offline states, citing Microsoft's decision to end support, that it will be the last version of WSUS Offline to support Windows Vista:

- NOTE: This version will be the last one supporting Windows Vista (see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/22882/windows-vista-end-of-support)

18 hours ago, Werewolf said:

Thank you!

You seem to have forgotten SpywareBlaster.

I believe that I may have another for you. Unfortunately, with the release of version 10.9.2, the most recent change log of WSUS Offline states, citing Microsoft's decision to end support, that it will be the last version of WSUS Offline to support Windows Vista:

Oops! I felt like I was forgetting something... Fixed that!

That's unfortunate to hear about WSUS offline... Added to the list in a new (Third party system utilities) section. I also thought to put in the last version of Classic Shell for Vista, too. Thanks again for your help! 

A side note... the amount of (ongoing) supported browsers on Windows Vista is getting shorter too, sadly :unsure: