Hey guys! A few questions on Windows 2k!

Hey guys! I've been working on a retro rig recently.

Specs are:

1.8 GHz Pentium IV

512MB of RAM

40GB HDD

nVidia GeForce 6200 256MB PCI

The problem lies in the last of the specs I've listed. In Windows ME (yeah, hate all you want, but as far as I'm concerned ME>98) my dual monitors work perfectly. Each is represented as it's own separate monitor and I'm able to run programs with that in mind.

The problem I run into is with Windows 2000. In 2k, which I'm typing this from, I've tried 3 different nVidia drivers for my card and I've found no solution. I'm either left with an option for a mirrored display or a stretched between two monitors, instead of both being separate.

I run Windows ME for my old games (Twisted Metal 1 and 2 PC FTW) but, at this rate, it's basically worthless for web browsing. That's something I rely on Windows 2000 for, and for other nostalgia related stuff.

I'd love to be able to fix this issue with Win 2k, and if anyone has any insight it'd be greatly appreaciated. I've tried three versions of the nVidia drivers for 2k.

81.98 (the same version ME uses)

none work.

Also, bonus questions!

1. What's the best browser for Windows ME (KernelEX included)?

2. What's the best anti-virus for Windows 2000? (Avast doesn't seem to want to update anymore, sadly)

It's not listed on the NVIDIA site as a Windows 2000 driver, but try driver package 175.16. I like it and that's what I use.

I would think though that you should get it working even with those early drivers. You may have to do this if you install this package. Right click on the NVIDIA icon in the systray, go to nview display settings, dualview, and then it might say something to the effect of install dualview. Reboot. Once you log in it should detect your secondary dualview device and install the driver, then reboot again. Now you should be able to go dualscreen like you would in Windows Me (which is the same procedure as in WIndows 2000). Make sure you say expand your desktop on monitor 2 though, otherwise I believe it'll just be mirrored, I've never tried it another way.. I don't know about stretched though. I never had that issue. I use an NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT on my Windows 2000 machine. What driver packages have you tried so far? I usually don't get a lot of good results with other ones except the 175.16 package.

As for anti-virus, I really don't use one. I use MalwareBytes and Advanced System Care to keep my computer clean and so far I haven't had any trouble. AVG9 Free should work with Windows 2000 as long as you don't use KernelEx which breaks something when it updates to the latest virus definitions for some reason.

I don't use Windows Me, but if you use KernelEx for Windows 98/Me, you can install up to Firefox 9 without too many issues (except for printing), I use Firefox 9.0.1 on my Windows 98SE machine. Firefox 10 and 11 don't work well for me, plus I'm not fond about how it like to cut a letter off on your typed address, not sure if it was ever fixed by anyone or not though.

Also, a friendly reminder that when you make new threads, try to be descriptive in the thread title what your problem is so it'll grab the attention of others a bit easier and get you answers faster. :)

Avast 4.8 still receives updates, and is the anti-virus I recommend for systems with Windows 95/NT 4.0, and at least a 486 processor with 32MB RAM and 50MB hard disk drive space.

You can get the program file here, and the updates are available from Avast's page here.

untitled.jpg

I had a similar issue, with a nVidia FX5500 card. Tried a variety of different driver packages. I also tried installing DualView, but nothing was detected, and after about 6 reboots, nothing had changed. So I gave up. 

It begs the question - why is it "just working" under Windows ME, but not under Windows 2000? Its quite an annoying issue. 

That said, my system also contacts an Intel graphics solution, which you could extend the monitor onto or from if necessary with the default Windows components. So it seems as though this is a limitation imposed by nVidia for whatever reason. 

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/146925-dual-monitors-in-windows-2000-pro/

"Due to a limitation in Windows 2000, dual head cards that use a single chipset to drive both monitors require special workarounds in the driver to be properly recognized by the system. If these workarounds are not implemented, Windows 2000 sees a single large monitor instead of two."