Windows XP on Y510P

spookymulder90

Making your laptop support Windows 9x or 2000 will be even harder then supporting Windows XP.

I would look up if you can install Linux on your laptop first. That means someone already created a working driver. You then could run software developed for Windows XP using Wine.

No, I've just wanted to know how they installed new hardware drivers on old OS. I don't want to install Windows 9x or NT4/2000, these OSes can't run new games (or I'm bad?), now with KernelEx XP will can run new games and I've wanted migrate to this great OS. :D (I hope you understand me :D

Your best option for now if you don't want to use Windows 7 or newer is to switch to Linux and install latest Wine. This will enable you to run newer games. Wine developers are currently working hard on adding DirectX 11 support.

No, I've just wanted to know how they installed new hardware drivers on old OS. I don't want to install Windows 9x or NT4/2000, these OSes can't run new games (or I'm bad?), now with KernelEx XP will can run new games and I've wanted migrate to this great OS. :D (I hope you understand me :D

No, they dont use new drivers on 9X, they use the OS without drivers, or they use modded drivers (but the hardware still old).

No, unfortunately not. But if you are young enough you probably have some time to learn about developing software and drivers. So if you are interested in becoming a developer I would first like you to try to check if you can install Linux on your laptop. This should be possible if your laptop is popular enough. You then can make it work almost exactly as Windows XP with the benefit of supporting newer games.

Edited by Acheron

Doing a google search I found the following topic on Lenovo about your laptop:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/Lenovo-y510p-and-Linux/td-p/1170629

You should read this thread first to see problems other users run into when installing Linux.

There is a reason most developers don't like laptops, as you often have to deal with poor driver support for different OSes.

Did you look up the Wine Application Compatibility database?

Most information on it is heavily outdated. Only the very latest games using DirectX 12 are not compatible. Everything else is trial and error.

Edited by Acheron

I searched for Battlefield 4 and it is supposed to run on Videocards supporting DirectX 10. The latest version tested in the Wine Application DB is 1.7.29, tested October 2014. Latest Wine version 1.9.4 contains many changes and better DirectX 10/11 support.

You can also try to dualboot Windows 7/8 and Linux, so you can play non-working games on Windows and continue developing on Linux on the same machine.