Windows PE I could use some help, please

STZ128

Hello,

My name is Steve.

This is where I am.

My workstation (Technical computer) is running Win XP.

My target (Test machine) is an old AMD machine.  With an IDE based CD Rom drive and 1Gb memory..

I downloaded the MS WAIK tool kit.

After several days of playing around, I finally have a PE CD boot image built.

The image loads on the test machine correctly.

Now I need to optimize the image to make room in ram for my application.  (BOINC.exe).

1) I tried add the /Enable-profiling to DISM.

Then re-building the image, I got the warning about not using profiling on earlier OS.

I discovered that the error could be bypasses by adding a ssshhh.dll from a windows 8 computer.

Now the build completes.

2) When the image loads on the Test computer, every thing runs file.

But then I try to create the profile, it get an error:

error 0x80070004  or  error 0x80070057

I have no idea that these error are telling me!

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

Edited by STZ128

You can't mix anything non-XP (Vista and above) with XP. Won't work as that OS doesn't have those facilities.

All you get to do is Image.WIM it and Deploy it. There's an entirely different method/PE for XP. XP OPK never used WIM's. Subsequent OS' used WAIK/MDT/etc. Everything has to be Prepared in advance (using XP OPK). After that you can chose to create/deploy a WIM.

HTH

Here's a list AFAIK. My own personal one with minor notes and reminder to "get the rest of them".

(note - only goes through Win7)

EDIT -

YANKED my list as the WWW is (again) rife with misinformation. I've corrected my list but think leaving this attachment would do a great injustice to anyone believing the information is accurate.

OPK's for XP/2003 were deemed v1.x.

OPK's and WAIK's for Vista+ are extremely confusing as far as WWW (even Wikipedia :w00t: ).

Seems everyone confuses the two.

WAIK v2.x = OPK v1.x (believe it or not) but only pertaining to Vista+.

The difference is WAIK lacks certain modules used to create a valid WinRE (available to OEM's only to build a WinRE partition). IOW, they are NOT necessarily interchangable.

I have no clue about OPK's for NTx.x/Win2K or if they even exist. :huh:

(Yep, Win2K existed - http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/70054-adding-password-to-my-unattended-windows/)

In several cases only a DOC/CHM Update was provided for a given OPK (e.g. 2K3SP1->2K3R2. You'll note those changes in (e.g.) DEPLOY.CAB as well (for XP/2K3). ;)

Why such a numbering scheme is so misunderstood and confusing is beyond me. :crazy:

(I blame MS... and the WWW, of course.)

-attachment=bla-bla-WinPE-OPK Archive VersionsDOTdeleted-

Edited by submix8c

HTH

Thanks for the reply. 

My image loads and is functional.

My problem is enabling the profiling on the Test computer so I can eliminate files from the image to make it smaller.

thanks

steve

HTH

Thanks for the reply. 

My image loads and is functional.

My problem is enabling the profiling on the Test computer so I can eliminate files from the image to make it smaller.

thanks

steve

Loosely, you are using on an old limited power machine a very recent PE (possibly based on a Windows 8/8.1 or even 10) i.e. PE 4/5/5.1/10.

This is fundamentally "wrong" in the sense that you are using something that is bigger, fatter and more bloated than what you actually *want* or *need* (if the final goal is just to run boinc.exe).

If you could use an older "base" (such as a Vista WAIK - PE 2.x - or a 7 WAIK - PE 3.x) the "base" image will already be smaller.

I am not sure to understand which kind of profiling you are referring to. :unsure: , but maybe you could use - instead of the "plain" WAIK/ADK build one of the many "customized" builders with a "minimal" project, such as Winbuilder based projects or one of Wimb's thingies, or even the QuickPE:

http://reboot.pro/files/file/340-quickpe/

In other words, you should IMHO find out what is the minimum environment you need to run that program and create the minimum PE that is suited to just run it.

jaclaz

Stock Vista WinPE2.0 x64 typically requires some amount less than 1GB RAM on the client not sure if it is more/less than 768MB.

My standard practice is:

WinPE2.0 x64 1GB RAM or higher

WinPE2.0 x86 512MB RAM or higher

Using newer PEs should only be as-needed or when clients have more than 1GB RAM.

I appreciate all the help!

I tried the QuickPe image builder, it is very similar to the method I was using.  The loaded image still only left  32Mb of ram for the system.

Profiling:

In my web search, I have found that DISM may not utilize the "/Enable-Profiling" option!

Although I have seen it being used in examples. (#%$@)

How it would work:

1)  Setting the /Enable-Profiling when building the image, code would be added to the image that would

log whenever a dll or object was loaded on the test.

2) When the image was run, all support dll or object loaded, would be logged into a file.

If a dll or object was not loaded, it would NOT be listed.

3) After the windows was running, one would exercise the application(s) with every option.

This would cause the objects/dll required to be added to the list.

4) Now WPEUTIL would be executed on the test machine.  This would create a list of required objects/dll.

5) Now, with this list, another image build is startedt.  The objects logged on the list would be included

in the image.  Objects NOT on the list would be NOT included in the image.  This image hopefully would be smaller

and would require less ram.  (And more for my application.)

Perhaps there is another PE builder that includes this function??

Misc Notes:

I have about 20 main boards, power supplies, chassis and several equipment racks that I was using for BOINC when Win95 was

the required OS.  Now they say the OS required is WinXP.   So I am trying to generate Winpe 2 or 3 that can be used to host my

clients.  (Updating the H/W is not an option for me because of $$$)

Any other ideas on this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Ahhh-Haaaaa

I figured it out!

The whole problem was:  The child inherites from the parents and never the other way!

I broke the "system" into individual batch files.  The working directory was changed in a called batch file, but of course

the change was lost when returning to the main batch file!

I noticed will watching a UTube video!  DOOH!

Now everything is working with profiling.  Tomorrow I will start optimizing!  Hurray!

I will keep in touch with my results.

Thanks to all those the responded!

Later,

Steve

If required is Windows XP you could use a PE 1.x (like a BartPE or the one or the other versions of LiveXP) or one or the other versions of minimal XP builds.

Also, with only 1 Gb of RAM you'd better use a "flat" PE (cannot say if recent PE's can be made "flat", PE 1's and 2's and I seem to remember 3's could).

jaclaz

Jaclaz

Thanks for the note.  I just started to optimize the image.

I will look into the the XP version.

The application (BOINC) needs >32Mb of unused ram before it wan even start to work.

So everything little bit helps.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Steve

FWIW, I use two variations of WinBuilder "LiveXP". One from CD (uses RAM to load into) and a simple variation copied to HDD Partition (using RAM normally). Not really sure if this is what you want, though, since...

If you wouldn't mind sharing your current procedure (with further "why" explanation) that would be nifty.

HTH (Hope This Helps)

Side note -

Good luck finding the XP OPK. Gone with the wind. :( But WinBuilder will never (hopefully) disappear.

Side note -

Good luck finding the XP OPK. Gone with the wind. :( But WinBuilder will never (hopefully) disappear.

And for a PE 1.x one can use still the good ol' BartPE builder ... here is a (lesser known but very complete project) using it:

http://teutonpe.freehostia.com/

and a lesser known but working alternative builder (just for the record):

http://www.kare-net.de/LiveSystempro-e.html

jaclaz

Sure,  submix8c.

The Tech machine is used to build the image.  I have several directories, one for the image work area and the other for the

containing the programs to be embedded int the test computer.

The WAIK process if performed by:

rem    MakeMaster.bat   rev. 1.5  2/29/2016
rem  Step 1
rem    1.1    Remove files
cd "C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools"
set    PEDIR=c:\Kepler_Master-image
set    ADD=c:\Kepler_Master
rd /s/q %PEDIR%
echo on
rem    1.2    Build structure
call copype x86  %PEDIR%
echo on
copy winpe.wim iso\sources\boot.wim
echo on
rem pause
cd %PEDIR%
echo on
rem  Step 2
rem    2.1    Mount WINPE.wim
dism /Mount-WIM  /WimFile:ISO\sources\boot.wim /Index:1 /MountDir:mount
rem pause
rem  Step 3
rem    3.1    Add Packages
dism /Image:mount /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\WinPE_FPs\winpe-wmi.cab"
rem pause
rem  Step X
rem      x.1    Add Additional
xcopy %ADD%\additional\*.*  %PEDIR%\mount\ /E /y
rem pause
rem  Step 4
rem    4.1    Enable Profiling
dism /Image:mount /Enable-Profiling
rem pause  UnMount next
rem  Step 5
rem    5.1    Unmount
DISM /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:mount /Commit
rem pause
rem  Step 6
rem        Make ISO
oscdimg -n -m -o -betfsboot.com ISO ISO\winpe_x86.iso
Nothing clever or clean, but it seems to work!

What is the size of your ISO ?

Profiling was used in Make_PE3 to Reduce Size and you can also make a Minimal Version.

The MIN Version 7pe_x86_X.iso has size of 180 MB which should work to boot your old low ram machines.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143529-make-pe3-program-to-create-portable-windows-7-pe/

If you have sufficient RAM then Win8.1SE or Win10PE are the best WinPE, which can boot modern machines in UEFI or BIOS mode.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/121446-install-from-usb-after-booting-with-pe/page-2#entry1117324

Edited by wimb

My target (Test machine) is an old AMD machine.  With an IDE based CD Rom drive and 1Gb memory..

If you have sufficient RAM then Win8.1SE or Win10PE are the best WinPE, which can boot modern machines in UEFI or BIOS mode.

:whistle:

jaclaz

Wimb,

My machines are so old.... they do not know about booting from USB devices.  I was hoping to use the romed NIC to implement PXE booting....(later opertunites!)  Info on image sizes follow.

When I use my Master build:  It uses WAIK to build a win3.0 with my application installed.

ISO size 164Mb

Boot.wim  size 136mb

Target available Ram  30 mb

I create a profile while on the target, then I modify the Master image to generate an Optimized image.

The optimized image:

ISO size 246Mb

Boot.wim size 80Mb

Target X: ram size is 32Mb.

The following questions from this information are:

1)  Why is the ISO size on the otimized version larger than the original?  (Perhaps this should telling me something?)

2)  The wim files are showing me what I expect... (appears reasonable)

3)  But the available ram on the x: ramdrive still remains to be 32Mb.

I ran a system information program (SIV32L.exe).  It tells me there is a paging file on the test machine.

I used regedit to examine the register, I do not see any references to paging file.  If there is one, it must be set at startup and not registered.  If I could minimize the paging file, or make it zero, I think that would solve my problem.

So, If anyone has any ideas, I would much appreciate it.

steve