Why won't some games start on VirtualBox?

Josey

Hi all, :)

I've installed Windows 98SE on VirtualBox following this how-to: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170785-virtualbox-windows-98se-step-by-step/

It seems to be running very nicely. I tired four games and two of them ("Cluedo: Murder at Blackwell Grange" and "Tomb Raider 2") seem to play well, but the other two ("Plane Crazy" and "Lego Racers 2") installed, but won't even load the opening videos or go to the menu. All that happens is that a black window opens for less than a second, and then closes.

Is there anyway to fix this?

Let me know if you need any more info.

Personally, I do not like virtualization of machines. It doesn't always run the programs you want it to, especially if it's 3D related. MS Virtual PC I don't think runs 3D at all. But I was also thinking it's probably DirectX related or the "virtual hardware" isn't capable of running those games.

Did you update to DirectX 9.0c? Some games may require hardware accelerated 3D graphics to run, which VirtualBox does not emulate for Windows 9x.

Yep, I've upgraded to DirectX 9.0c, so I'm guessing it must be to do with the hardware accelerated 3D graphics, but it's odd that not even the menus will work.

Personally, I do not like virtualization of machines.

I couldn't agree more. There's nothing like running the real hardware.

I had a working PC running Windows 98SE until about six months ago, when the capacitors got so bad that it wouldn't boot. It was in a shop for over 5 months being 'fixed', but I don't think he did a great job because after about a week the graphics started to go crazy (which is what happened just before the capacitors went last time). :(

My plan is to build a 'supercharged' Windows 98SE, but I'm finding it hard finding the right parts. The forum posts on here about compatible hardware look like they are going to be very helpful.

I was hoping to set-up a nice virtual machine to tide me over, and as a back-up. At least with VirtualBox I'm able to use most software and some games, but I need to build that PC!

Personally, I do not like virtualization of machines.

I couldn't agree more. There's nothing like running the real hardware
It will eventually come to that. No one is running Win98 on the latest specs, with all drivers installed and no issues. It's probably not going to happen. It's ok to be optimistic, but reality trumps it.

I'm going to keep looking into getting guest additions to work under Windows 98se, but for now I'm just going to build a real 98se, and just use VirtualBox once in a while for trying out software, and maybe for the games that do work on it.

First of all, don't use VirtualBox for running Windows 9x. It's not supported, and you're not going to get all of the integration features. The best VM program for Windows 9x guests is Microsoft Virtual PC 2007. VMware also supports Windows 9x, but lacks the drag and drop functionality.

There is a special build of DOSBox which emulates a Voodoo 3dfx chip, but I've never tried it and don't know if DirectX and OpenGL will work properly inside of it.

VMware also supports Windows 9x, but lacks the drag and drop functionality.

What? VMware fully supports drag and drop in 98SE. I've used it personally. Just install the VMware Tools.

VMware and VPC 2007 SP1 are the only reasonable virtualization software for guest 98SE.

Edited by MrMateczko

There is a special build of DOSBox which emulates a Voodoo 3dfx chip, but I've never tried it and don't know if DirectX and OpenGL will work properly inside of it.

When using the Dosbox method, you are stuck using 32mb of ram. There is no way to adjust it. This method is not ideal.

I never heard of that! Well its too late, I've already decided to build a Win95 PC for my voodoo card. :) Sounds neat tho.

Despite what others have mentioned VirtualBox is still the best option for Win98se

Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 is almost as good but doesn't run on Windows versions after Win7

VMware does have driver support but with no graphics acceleration, not even the software acceleration that the SciTech driver gives you in VirtualBox.