Storage drives are all primary etc.

Dundertaker

Storage drives are all primary etc.

Non-techy person here :) New to Windows 8.1 (in prep for Windows 10) Pardon for it :)

I recently formatted 2 bootable partitions(dual-boot) with Windows 8.1 Pro on a 1 TB hard drive via a USB-Rufus created installer(UEFI) . The default boot partition is C:W811_1. I did a clean install first C:W811_1 and then shrunk the partition to create smaller partitions for:

a) second boot partition for dual-boot (F:W812)

b) storage partitions (H / I / J and K )

I formatted the second boot partition by extracting the Windows 8.1 Pro ISO to the desktop of C:W811_1 and then from the sources folder ran setup.exe to format the dual-boot. When I formatted the second partition for dual-boot, the storage drives (H / I / J and K ) were already there(--created them first then recovered some files).

Now as I checked the Disk Management I see that all the partitions in that 1 TB are all marked as primary. Seems I did something wrong here...

Why are they all primary...?

Is that a good thing...? If not what can I do to correct it...?

Please see attached Disk Management image and Minitool Partition Wizard gui image. 

Zwmmapd.png

3Ejwfuu.png

Also, in Windows 7 desktop I always use EasyBCD and iReboot to boot to my preferred partitions (work, home, gaming, for kids). In Windows 8.1 I see that there is the Windows Loader which governs the dual-boot and other options(correct?)

Now the Windows Loader has the CD-DVD Drive and another Hard drive there along with Windows 8.1 in (4) and Windows 8.1 in (5). I was to delete that via "msconfig" but it does not show there. It shows only the 2 Windows 8.1 drives. 

How can I delete that "CD-DVD Drive and another Hard drive"...safely...?

Sorry for the elementary questions there :) Really I am not in my field :)

Thank you. 

Is that a MBR style or a GPT style disk? ;) <- rhetorical question, it is a GPT disk as seen in the posted screenshot

On MBR disks only up to 4 primary partitions are possible (or 3 + 1 Extended partition containing logical volumes).

On GPT disks all partitions are primary, it's normal, on Windows systems you can make up to 128 of them. :)

jaclaz

That was fast ;) Thanks for the reply :)

So it's normal and I do not need to do anything...?

Now the second question for this is that on this desktop I previously have a drive which has 3 partitions of Windows 7 Ultimate. As mentioned in the first post for different usages. The games I erased for storage in the meantime. 

Now I soon want to re-install or "connect" it again as Disk 2. 

Disk 1 is the 1TB drive with:

C: W811_1

F: W812

H:

I:

J:

K:

Making the deskop with 3 drives. 

Disk 1 windows 8.1 dual-boot etc. 

Disk 2 Windows 7 3boot. 

Disk 3 System Image backups

Will there be any issues here...? What do I need to check further before connecting the Windows 7 drive (Disk2)...?

What will happen to the Windows Boot Loader...?

I use EasyBCD on the Windows 7 drives, will I need to install EasyBCD and iReboot to C:W811_1 and F:W812..?

What's the best scenario on this...?

Thanks very much:)

Well, there are a few decisions that you have to take yourself.

EasyBCD is nothing but a wrap around the BCDedit functions and grub4dos (using BTW a now obsolete version of it), the exact way you use it (and the grub4dos included with it) may make a difference, but you seem to be missing (understandably) some of the gritty-nitty details, what programs like EasyBCD - independently from whether they are "good" or "bad" - are "user friendly" but they do hide the actual way they work.

Since you are using UEFI the grub4dos won't be actually involved at all, since it is BIOS only, unless you use CSM.

All in all what you want to do is to multi-boot between 5 Operating Systems 2 8.1's and 3 7's (i.e. of the same family and "recent enough") each installed to an "own" volume/partition.

This can be achieved in different ways, the easiest would be to use your current "boot" drive (what the good MS guys would call a "system" volume) and add to that 8.1 instance of \boot\BCD or \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD the other 4 ones or do the same using you.

This way when you boot you will have a screen allowing you to choose between the 5 OS.

If you have some time to dedicate to the matter, you would better study a bit the actual boot sequence of recent Windows NT systems, but basically on BIOS:

Bios chainloads MBR code

MBR code chainloads PBR code

PBR code chainloads BOOTMGR

BOOTMGR code accesses \boot\BCD allowing to choose between multiple entries

Once the choice has been made, the chosen WINLOAD.EXE is executed and the chosen Windows is loaded

on UEFI

UEFI looks for a FAT32 partition on disk (the 100 mb partition which is "Active and Boot" in your screenshots)

UEFI then chainloads the \efi\microsoft\boot\bootmgfw.efi

bootmgfw.efi code accesses \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD allowing to choose between multiple entries

Once the choice has been made, the chosen WINLOAD.EXE is executed and the chosen Windows is loaded

So, basically you just connect the second disk and add the relevant entries to your BCD using either BCDEDIT or the EasyBCD you already use.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Hello jaclaz,

Thank you very much for the reply. It's quite interesting the way you explain it. Allow me a couple of more questions please. 

This can be achieved in different ways, the easiest would be to use your current "boot" drive (what the good MS guys would call a "system" volume) and add to that 8.1 instance of \boot\BCD or \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD the other 4 ones or do the same using you.
This way when you boot you will have a screen allowing you to choose between the 5 OS.
-- Am not technically equipped here but pardon me for more questions :) Got a bit confused :)

Do you mean, in the default OS Windows 8.1 I will add the 4 ones(or 3 partitions which are Windows 7)...?
If so, I will have to install EasyBCD on that default Windows 8.1 drive which is C:W811_1...correct..? 
From there, add the other Windows 7 partitions in EasyBCD..correct..?

Or,

I boot to the default Windows 8.1 (which is C:W811_1) use BCDedit to add the 3 Windows 7 partitions..?
If I do that will I get the blue boot screen in Windows 8.1 with the addition of the other Windows 7 partitions..?
I do not know how can I do that...I mean use BCDedit..sorry :)

Can you give me some tips...

Thanks again :)

EFI/UEFI works in it's (sometimes) mysterious ways, recent Windows booting on UEFI (but also on BIOS) works as well in mysterious stupid ways.

From what you posted, right now (though you might not know this) you have one drive (or partition or volume) that is the only one that the UEFI/EFI firmware will chainload (or boot).

This volume is the smallish around 100 Mb in size formatted as FAT32 that gets no drive letter normally.

In it there is a file:

\efi\microsoft\boot\bootmgfw.efi

which once executed will access the settings stored on the file:

\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

this latter file currently should be containing two entries, one for the WIndows 8.1 that you call W811_1 and one for the Windows 8.1 that you call W812, and when you boot you are prompted to choose which one among these two you wish to boot, probably on a screen similar to this one:

windows-81-preview-how-to-14_675403.jpg

If you prefer right now you seem to have a dedicated to UEFI boot volume containing the EFI bootmgr and BCD with the two 8.1 entries, the idea is to add to this BCD the three entries for the three windows 7's.

This can be done with the "built-in" BCDedit, but since you are not familiar with it and you already have EasyBCD you can well use this latter, the file that will be modified will be anyway the BCD in the FAT32 partition.

What you may want (optionally) to do could be to get rid of the senselessly big graphics screen and use the good ol' selection screen, *like* here:

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-avoid-two-reboots-with-windows-8-1-and-windows-7-dual-boot/

jaclaz

Hello jaclaz,

Thanks for the reply. Well before I read your reply. I went and plugged-in the Windows 7 Ultimate hard disk (as Disk2 --The Win 8.1 disk is Disk1). I installed EasyBCD ver2.3 on the default Win 8.1 partition and then added the 4 Win 7 partitions. I also installed iReboot which I use in Windows 7(so  can boot directly to either of the 4 partitions in Windows 7).

When I restarted I still got the blue boot screen of Windows 8.1 there was no Windows 7 partitions there. There was no other partitions either in the options tab where it says boot to another partition --something like that--- it would only let me choose the second Windows 8.1 partition.

Using iReboot also from Windows 8.1 tray did not do any good as all I got was that round waiting which seems to go on forever.

So I went to the bios and placed the Disk 2 as boot device(not Windows loader which I use in Windows 8.1). I was able to boot to Win 7. Upgraded EasyBCD ver2.2- ver2.3. Added the two Windows 8.1 partitions and then proceeded to boot to Windows 8.1.

There was an error screen 0x000--- e something...(sorry I wasn't able to get the details yesterday).

EasyBCD did not work at all (also iReboot). They work perfectly fine in Windows 7.

Now way of booting to Windows 8.1 from Win 7.

No way of booting to Windows 7 from Windows 8.1

Will I uninstall EasyBCD...? I fear that if I did I will bork something...

Seems I need to do "built-in" BCDedit...which I do not know.

From what you posted, right now (though you might not know this) you have one drive (or partition or volume) that is the only one that the UEFI/EFI firmware will chainload (or boot).

This volume is the smallish around 100 Mb in size formatted as FAT32 that gets no drive letter normally.

-- That FAT32 partition I have that. See image below.

iSp6Qrz.png

What you may want (optionally) to do could be to get rid of the senselessly big graphics screen and use the good ol' selection screen, *like* here:

http://winaero.com/b...ws-7-dual-boot/

-- Yes you are correct there. I wanna get rid of that. But as of the moment I have issues with booting that I want to solve first.

I also noticed that the boot speed dropped so low when I plugged-in the Windows 7 drive. In Disk 2 booting to and from the other Win 7 partitions is fast(still have that 30-35sec boot speed in Win 7). But in Win 8.1 I'd say it went to seconds to minutes... :( I think the longest was around 5 or 7 minutes!!! The same was observed even when I set the BIOS boot to the "Windows Loader" for Win 8.1. Booting to W811_1 to W812 took longer. Previously it took just seconds with only the Disk1 and Disk3 installed(no other OS except Win8.1).

Why the reason for the drop in boot speed...?

Anyway, I stil have issues with dual-booting from Disk 1(Windows 8.1) to Disk 2 (Windows 7). I'd like to ask for help for that first before plunging to the boot speed issue.

How may be the best solution for the dual-boot...?

Is there anything that I should backup first prior BCD edit...?

As mentioned I do not know BCD edit..can you assist me please..please... :(

Thanks and will wait for your reply and understanding.

This is why you should (if you want to tinker with your system) to study a bit of the basics.

A Windows bootmanager BOOTMGR or its UEFI counterpart bootmgfw.efi is normally "backwards compatible" but cannot (rather obviously) be "forward compatible".

I.e. the Windows 8.1 bootmanager can boot the Windows 7 besides the 8.1, but the windows 7 bootmanager cannot boot 8.1.

So definitely you need to use the Windows 8.1 bootmanager to load the Windows 7's.

It is very possible, for *any* reason that the EasyBCD did not add those Windows 7 entries correctly and/or that some settings for the BCD are "wrong" (i.e. do not allow booting the Windows 7).

I have no idea what is iReboot, but I tend to avoid anything that is named with a small i as initial ;).

You may want to report the problem to the manufacturer's forum:

https://neosmart.net/forums/

or take the plunge and get familiar with the BCDedit tool, this would be a good place to start:

http://www.mistyrebootfiles.altervista.org/documents/BCDEdit/index.html

Or you could try this other tool :unsure::

https://www.boyans.net/

JFYI there is (maybe was) an ongoing flamewar between the Authors of the two tools and I am not endorsing in any way - not even indirectly - the one or the other :).

jaclaz

Hello jaclaz :)

This is why you should (if you want to tinker with your system) to study a bit of the basics.

--Yes DEFINITELY I AGREE! Been reading some notes I got from the net earlier and if I may I want to continue on this endeavor. I'd like to thank you first for going out of your way on this. Really am very grateful for this :) THANK YOU! Back to basic it is! Currently uploading some images. I will edit this post and supply the continuation a little later. Just a sec. 

Uploaded the images! Thanks very much for helping me out. Really am out of my league here. Please allow me a couple of more questions first on the Windows bootloader(before I go and ask about dual-booting the 2 different hard drives with Win7 and Win8 again). I have gotten some images and some data so I can provide you more information here. Attached is the bcdedit image taken from W811_1 which I marked as default in "msconfig". 

2w3t6h0.png

Please kindly check if my markings are correct and corresponds correctly with what is reflected in the Windows bootloader image. 

(1) Are my understanding of the entries and it's designation to File Explorer correct..?

See image below also. 

2rpeonl.jpg

The Windows 8.1 On volume 4 is the W811_1
The Windows 8.1 On volume 5 is the W812
I do not know why there is a "Hard Drive" and a "CD/DVD Drive". 

(2) Is it because there is a marked UEFI-TSSTcorp CDDVDW drive in the boot options menu....? 

Kindly see image below.

okzl1l.png

I seem to also remember that my Kingston Multiboot USB which houses my backup and utilities tools was marked as UEFI Kingston something. 

(3) Is that the reason why I am getting the additional "Hard drive" and "CD/DVD Drive" in the Windows bootloader...?

(4) How can I get rid of those two additional entries in BCDedit safely...?

I was to use "msconfig" but the "Hard Drive" and a "CD/DVD Drive" are not there.  

Searching the net I have read somewhere that I can remove entries in the Windows bootloader via BCDedit also. Please do kindly check the quoted texts below. 

bcdedit / delete {identifier}

Firmware Application (101fffff)
-------------------------------
identifier              {e36b9ac8-d807-11e5-8269-806e6f6e6963}
description             Hard Drive

Firmware Application (101fffff)
-------------------------------
identifier              {5fc5af6c-d691-11e5-8010-9fd401e3aa54}
description             CD/DVD Drive

Based on the text above, if I wanna delete the "Hard Drive" in the Windows bootloader, I would type, 

bcdedit / delete {e36b9ac8-d807-11e5-8269-806e6f6e6963}

For the CD/DVD Drive, 

bcdedit / delete {5fc5af6c-d691-11e5-8010-9fd401e3aa54}

Are they correct...? If I do that, where will I do that..? In any of the Windows 8.1 partition or is it always the best or must to do this in the "default partition" which is W811_1..?

(5) Looking closely I see that the identifier for "CD/DVD Drive" and "partition=F:" is the same. See image below. 

15oz3it.png

Having the same identifier "{5fc5af6c-d691-11e5-8010-9fd401e3aa54}", I am worried that if I delete the "CD/DVD Drive" I will also delete the "partition=F:" because I will type

bcdedit / delete {5fc5af6c-d691-11e5-8010-9fd401e3aa54}

(6) Will I be able to boot again using the UEFI-TSSTcorp CDDVDW drive if I delete that entry in the Windows bootloader..?

Currently I need the functionality of being able to boot to cd/dvd as I have issues with my Kingston Multiboot usb(which doesn't work at the moment even if I select it as the first boot option in Boot Options #1). 

(7) Is it possible to rename the entries listed in the Windows bootloader..?

I ask because it's confusing having to read very carefully the text below the "Windows 8.1" it's small and for faster identification I need to mark it as what it is reflected in explorer as follows:

Windows 8.1 On volume 4 as W811_1 
Windows 8.1 On volume 5 as W812

Currently have no idea as to how I can rename them.. :(

(8) Also when I was in Windows 7, that same UEFI Kingston USB I use for deploying either Macrium Reflect Workstation / ATI 2014 or my other WinPE tools. In Windows 8.1 when I plugged that in and set that in Boot Options#1 it will not boot to it. I remenber that there was a note saying that there was no hard disk or something and that I need to load it or press escape to continue (sorry I did not write it down). 

So to acccess my tools like Macrium or Acronis I use the WinPE DVD I created. They boot fine and I can use either of the tools when I load the WinPE DVD disc in the UEFI-TSSTcorp CDDVDW drive and set it to boot. 

I do not understand why my multiboot usb will not run in Windows 8.1...Any ideas..?

(9) It seems the best way to add the Windows 7 entries to the Windows 8.1 bootloader is via BCDedit rather than using EasyBCD (which is useless now as I have issues with it in Windows 8.1). 

Booting to the Windows 7 default partition I ran a command prompt as admin and checked the Windows 7 default partition bcdedit data. 

I saw that both Windows 8.1 partitions have the same identifiers with "partition=F:"(in the Windows 7 default partition bcdedit). 
See image below. 

312bn78.png

Is that a good thing there..? 2 partitions in Windows 7 (partition=D: and partition=E:) having the same identifiers..?

Well I am not worried about the bcdedit in Widows 7 because I have deleted entries in EasyBCD before. I can delete the two partitions, "partition=G:" and "partition=H:" and that would not affect the Windows bootlaoder in Windows 8.1. And EasyBCD is functioning as it should for Windows 7. 

(10)How can I add the Windows 7 partitions in BCDedit..? I do not see the entries in the Win 8.1 bcdedit. Kindly see the Disk Management imagefrom Windows 8.1 default partition (W811_1) below.

10ib8rs.png

(11) I have saved the bcd file in the default Windows 8.1 partition (W811_1) C:\ -- SAVEDBCD. If something untoward happens I should be able to recover boot options from that file correct..?

How can I recover that file, say, something went very wrong and I could not boot at all? Can I retrieve that via usb? I mean save that file in a usb and plug it in (leave it there for a moment while doing this BCDedit endeavor)..?

What may be the best way to recover from that save file..?

Sorry for the tons of questions :) Really have to understand it well (and as mentioned am not a tech guy). Learning vai asking questions only (some reading and then confirming). Being a member in forums gives me that added knowledge out of my comfort zone. More power to MSFN and of course the members who go out of their way to help newbies like me!!

Edited by Dundertaker

Hmmm.
Will need to start from the bottom and then jump up and down a bit :w00t:
11) you NEED a tested, safe, alternative way to boot that machine, access the BCD while offline in order to restore the backup, this could be the Windows install DVD or a PE of some kind.

So we must solve the "cannot boot other device" issue before anything else.

About the volume numbers you used in your description they are not "extremely" reliable,if I look at your diskpart output, I cannot see the MSR (128 Mb in size) partition, while I can see it fine in the mini-tool one.
You'd better run diskpart and issue a list volume command.
Anyway your primary Wndows 8.1 is on the volume that has drive letter C: and your secondary one is on the volume that gets drive letter F:.
And you should repeat this when booted into the Windows 7 (BTW, how eactly are you booting the Windows 7(s))?

However, there is certainly an issue (why and how this was created may depend on the exact sequence/method you used to do the various installs).
As seen from 8.1 the volume you call "Windows 8.1 On volume 4 is the W811_1" (should be 4th partition on first disk) gets drive letter C:

As seen from 7 the volume "X647" (should be 1st partition on second disk) containing your 1st Windows 7 install ALSO gets drive letter C:
As seen from 8.1 the volume you call "Windows 8.1 On volume 5 as W812" (should be 5th partition on first disk) gets drive letter F:
As seen from 7 the volume "NVT" (should be 4th partition on second disk) containing your 4th Windows 7 install ALSO gets drive letter F:
If you prefer, at the time you installed your 1st Windows 7 the volume on which it was installed had letter C: and at the time of your 4th Windows 7 the volume on which it was installed had drive letter F: whilst at the time you installed your Wndows 8.1 those same volumes got letters D: and L: respectively.

You need to somehow fix this "drive letter overlapping" as this can be a serious issue, leading to "mix" things up (if those volumes can actually boot).

But right now I have no idea on how to solve the problem :w00t:.

jaclaz

Hello jaclaz,

Thank you for the reply. 

About the volume numbers you used in your description they are not "extremely" reliable,if I look at your diskpart output, I cannot see the MSR (128 Mb in size) partition, while I can see it fine in the mini-tool one. You'd better run diskpart and issue a list volume command.

Please the diskpart images as attached. 

pSK293D.png

JgrE6d9.png

980qaG0.png

pTZ5g2y.png

Image below was taken from a WinPE disk. 
xg2DlaG.png

I too cannot see the MSR (128 Mb in size) partition there in te Diskpart>list volume....all that I see is the broadbad usb modem there which 128mb (coincidence maybe..). So I unplugged tha and check it out again. The same observation. Cannot see the MSR (128 Mb in size) partition. That should be in the vicinity of those "hidden" Volumes 9 and 10 right...?

(BTW, how eactly are you booting the Windows 7(s))?

Please see the image below of my BIOS. To be able to boot to Windows 7, I go to the BIOS and set in Boot Option 1 the hard drive that has the Windows 7 partitions which is P1:WDC_WD3200AAJS_07M0A0. When I want to boot to Windows 8.1 I set the Boot potion 1 to the Windows Loader. Currently I do that to be able to dual-boot as I have no other way of booting. 

4wTtgea.jpg

G9aRHn7.jpg

Now when I started formatting Windows 8.1 Pro, I started with a lone hard drive (because I am scared that I will damage a setup etc.) That lone hard drive which was marked P0:ST1TQYxxxxxxx I placed at SATA Port 1. I started fresh (clean install) and deleted all partitions in tha disk and relegated it as unallocated space so I could get the 350mb System Reserved. But apparently I did not get that. I got the 300mb NTFS(Recovery Partition) and the FAT32 Unlabelled EFI System Partition 100mb and that invisible 128mb GPT Reserved Partition. 

After I formatted the first Windows 8.1 partition --W811_1(C:), I shrunk it to 80gb and alloted space for other partitions. Thus having,

W811_1(C:)
W812(F:)
_A(H:) --storage
_B(I:) --storage
_S(J:) --storage
_I(K:) --storage

To format the second Windows 8.1 partiton --W812, I did it via the Windows 8.1 ISO sources folder on the desktop. I ran the setup.exe from the sources folder and pionted to the W812 partition. 

Afterwards, after I have installed some necessary programs etc, I recovered my data onto the following drives. (Note _I(K:) is empty at the moment. 

A(H:) --storage
_B(I:) --storage
_S(J:) --storage

The Windows 7 hard drive I did not do anything except to plug it in after I felt that all is well with my Windows 8.1 partitions. 
The setup needs some fixing but I do not know where to start and to fix it efficiently. 

Edited by Dundertaker

Yep, I understand.

But the issue is that once an OS has been installed to a given drive letter (as seen by the OS itself) it cannot be changed (or changing it is so difficult and prone to errors that simply it isn't worth it).

Until NT 4.00 the good MS guys made a system that was "portable" to a different drive letter very easily.

In 2K they made it stupidly difficult/complicated.

In XP they made it even worse.

All the various third party programmers in their simplicity additionally used hardcoded drive letters in paths, configuration files and throughout the Registry (and what not).

Up to XP, with increasing effort, it was however doable.

In Vista :ph34r: and later my guess is that it is almost impossible as they added a number of complications. :(

As you can see each volume gets a different number/are shifted (this is what I was talking about when I said using diskpart list volume is not reliable) depending on whether you have your broadband modem (seemingly a USB device with a CD-like device)  but much worse than that is that each volume gets a different drive letter when booted in the one or the other OS.

Such a setting is strongly NOT advised, each volume should get a same given drive letter no matter which OS is booted, as before or later you may happen to be booted on the "wrong" OS and thus do something that you will regret to the "wrong" volume. :ph34r:

About the Windows 7 booting, I understand that you are using a "firmare UEFI entry" (most probably created by your motherboard firmware :unsure:) that loads the second hard disk, but from there on, does it boot in UEFI mode (i.e. does it use the EFI BOOTMGR, \efi\microsoft\boot\bootmgfw.efi) or does it boot in CSM (i.e. it uses a "normal" BOOTMGR), I believe you are using EFI boot since the second disk seems to be GPT (in mini-tool) BUT the Disk Manager screenshot sees a Primary volume and three Logical volumes (that can only be on a MBR style hard disk).

Anyway, what happens if you boot "normally" and in the choice menu you posted a screenshot on post #9 you choose the "Hard Drive"?

jaclaz

About the Windows 7 booting, I understand that you are using a "firmare UEFI entry" (most probably created by your motherboard firmware  :unsure:) that loads the second hard disk, but from there on, does it boot in UEFI mode (i.e. does it use the EFI BOOTMGR, \efi\microsoft\boot\bootmgfw.efi) or does it boot in CSM (i.e. it uses a "normal" BOOTMGR), I believe you are using EFI boot since the second disk seems to be GPT (in mini-tool) BUT the Disk Manager screenshot sees a Primary volume and three Logical volumes (that can only be on a MBR style hard disk).

-- I believe it's normal BOOTMGR. Can't boot from one OS (say, Win 7) to the other (Win8.1) (vice versa). But it boots fine (Windows 7 --all partitions) same speed and no issues at all. 

Back last year when I attempted to dual-boot Windows 8.1 and Win 7, I did not do a clean install. I just vacated a partition in the Windows 7 hard disk, allocated one, and formatted Windows 8.1 by "Windows 8.1 ISO on desktop>sources folder>setup.exe". Issue is that the boot speed was sicking. 

Here when I started with a clean install, I mean no other disk was present at that time, all was fine, boot speed was okay, even the BSOD I experienced before was gone (well that I surmised the culprit was Comodo firewall -- so I used a security suite Avast IS 2016 (W811_1) and Emsisoft IS on the W812). 

The issues with booting only came out when I plugged-in the Win 7 hard disk. EasyBCD/iReboot was useless in Win 8.1. In Win 7 eventhough you can add the two Win 8.1 partitions (W811_1 and W812) you cant boot to it and you'll get a "no boot manager something"...The reason why I boot to both OS via the Bios Boot Option 1 setting. 

If I will change the drive letters assignments, what should it be based on the images/assignments I posted..?

Thank for your help jaclaz, I know this is somewhat out of this world and your efforts really are much appreciated. 

Am really just out of ideas(as mentioned I am out of my league) here. 

Well, what I suspect is that your previous 7's boot not in UEFI mode (if they use BOOTMGR they boot through BIOS or actually CMS - Compatibility Mode Support) whilst your new 8.1's are clearly booting in UEFI mode.
Somehow your motherboard (stupid) UEFI must be (only seemingly) smart enough to use BIOS for the 7's and autoswitch to UEFI (or viceversa from standard UEFI autoswitch to CMS/BIOS).

Again:

Anyway, what happens if you boot "normally" and in the choice menu you posted a screenshot on post #9 you choose the "Hard Drive"?

jaclaz

Well, what I suspect is that your previous 7's boot not in UEFI mode (if they use BOOTMGR they boot through BIOS or actually CMS - Compatibility Mode Support) whilst your new 8.1's are clearly booting in UEFI mode.

Somehow your motherboard (stupid) UEFI must be (only seemingly) smart enough to use BIOS for the 7's and autoswitch to UEFI (or viceversa from standard UEFI autoswitch to CMS/BIOS).

Again:

jaclaz

@jaclaz,

I selected that "Hard drive" in the Windows bootloader and it booted to the default W811_1. 

-- That may seem to be what's happening here :( ...Seems I need to "refresh" of a do a clean install or try another method here...I'll get back to you in a couple of days. I just need to finish some work and then I'll take on it again. Thanks for the help. Will be back here to follow up. 

:)