Recovering Deleted Files

Can you post some images of the entire directory structure, so that we can assess the damage to the project?

I see the kernelex dir size is 0 KB(!) so I'd like to see exactly what has been recovered.

Well, the file seems to be fine. After recovering it, Windows said that the folder were few MB and after checking the scripts it all seemed to be fine. Now I'll put it in my VM for testing and we'll see what the results are going to be.

But the first thing in my task list is to back it up in 2 CD / DVD, in 1 flash drive and in 1 external hard drive... lol

Edited by Opticork

How many MBs have been saved? Please be specific.

How do you install it to VMs? I'm just curious to know your method.

Hope the script files for the drivers are all ok.

You could still check the integrity of the PE files offline using standard PE tools.

I am still interested in seeing a list of the project files and their sizes.

How many MBs have been saved? Please be specific.

How do you install it to VMs? I'm just curious to know your method.

Hope the script files for the drivers are all ok.

You could still check the integrity of the PE files offline using standard PE tools.

I am still interested in seeing a list of the project files and their sizes.

1) It's exactly 129 MBs including some files that are not actually used from the system.

2) I install it using my one installer that will be included in project's download link. (actually it won't just be included, it will be the only thing that you download)

3) Everything seemed to be working fine with the project. Development will be continued from tomorrow.

Not that it matters, it's called bds.exe

If you ask me, I don't see this happening anytime soon...

Some situations require specific answers. It's like misdiagnosing acute pancreatitis for asthma...

And in the request above there was only one answer for an engineer that wants to develop a compatibility layer for closed source software in less than 2 weeks.

The specific call is already included in XP. An engineer would know that, or easily find it by looking in the PE header. A troll would ask for the most irrelevant thing like the name of the program.

ADVICE: For better trolling next time consult MSDN: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms683560%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Quote MSDN:

Requirements for InterlockedCompareExchange

Minimum supported client

Windows XP [desktop apps | Windows Store apps]

Minimum supported server

Windows Server 2003 [desktop apps | Windows Store apps]

Header

WinBase.h (include Windows.h)

Library

Kernel32.lib

DLL

Kernel32.dll

The InterlockedCompareExchange64 is what bds.exe asks for because it is in Vista or later.

I was expecting someone who claims modifying closed-source software to know this before I even told this. I am a hobbyist, I study Medicine in fact, but there are people out here that have devoted their lives to the IT stuff. In my opinion, it is insulting and a mockery of their work to use a historical project's name (KernelEx) to do trolling.

It's up to the admins from now on...

Not that it matters, it's called bds.exe

If you ask me, I don't see this happening anytime soon...

Some situations require specific answers. It's like misdiagnosing acute pancreatitis for asthma...

And in the request above there was only one answer for an engineer that wants to develop a compatibility layer for closed source software in less than 2 weeks.

The specific call is already included in XP. An engineer would know that, or easily find it by looking in the PE header. A troll would ask for the most irrelevant thing like the name of the program.

ADVICE: For better trolling next time consult MSDN: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms683560%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Quote MSDN:

Requirements for InterlockedCompareExchange

Minimum supported client

Windows XP [desktop apps | Windows Store apps]

Minimum supported server

Windows Server 2003 [desktop apps | Windows Store apps]

Header

WinBase.h (include Windows.h)

Library

Kernel32.lib

DLL

Kernel32.dll

The InterlockedCompareExchange64 is what bds.exe asks for because it is in Vista or later.

I was expecting someone who claims modifying closed-source software to know this before I even told this. I am a hobbyist, I study Medicine in fact, but there are people out here that have devoted their lives to the IT stuff. In my opinion, it is insulting and a mockery of their work to use a historical project's name (KernelEx) to do trolling.

It's up to the admins from now on...

Well, I'll try to import it into the project, but I'll leave the testing for this program on you. Is that alright to you?

And by the way, who and when will unlock my topic?

At the moment, nobody.

However, the beta versions of this project will be delayed to 07.03.2016 (March 07, 2016).

After you provide a beta to the beta-testers you yourself selected, and we get convinced your project is not vaporware, then we may reopen the KernelEx thread.

Meanwhile this thread will also be closed, since the issue reported herein has been solved.

Sometimes miracles happen. :)

Now that everything is cool and dandy, here is a message to future readers:

If you initiate the format of a volume that was not intentional the best thing you can do is to pull the cord of the PC (literally, grab the power plug and disconnect it from mains, it is the fastest way to interrupt the process) or however switch the device off.

If you ALREADY formatted the volume DO NOT DO ANYTHING, switch the PC off and ask for assistance, specifically DO NOT re-format the volume, DO NOT reinstall an OS to it, DO NOT download any program or anyway copy anything to that volume.

The fact that reportedly it was possible to recover at least 129 Mb of intact files after the OP reputedly managed to do everything or almost everything that is advised to NEVER do, represents a one time miracle, it is very unlikely that it will ever happen again, so please should a similar accident happen to you do what is advised: DO NOT DO ANYTHING and ask for assistance!