Windows 10 adoption rate chart animation

eunderhill

For anyone who might be interested, here's an animated line graph chart from StatCounter showing Windows 10's adoption rate. In Febrary,it has climbed up a bit more since January, while Windows 7's decline has slowed a bit. You'll need to click on the chart to see the animation.

post-413583-0-94748500-1455933190_thumb.

Edited by eunderhill

I had to create it. I noticed that they let you change the date range on the chart and have it to where you can download the chart as a .png file. So I just downloaded the charts I was interested in and ran them through GIMP under Slackware to animate it.

The Windows 10 line continuing to climb and not plateau is worrisome.

I don't think there is anything to worry about at the moment. I used StatCounter graph to have a look at the adoption rate of Windows 10 in the various countries around the world. There are only a handful of small countries where Windows 10 has either exceeded Windows 7 or is in the process of doing so.  For the most part, Windows 10 appears to have left a bad taste in most peoples mouths around the world as they are holding out on Windows 7 and Windows XP. In some countries Mac OSX and Windows 2003 come in second. On a small side note, I even found out that Microsoft doesn't control the majority of the PC market on a few small islands. Linux is king in those places with Windows 7 coming in second. The islands are Norfolk, Pitcairne, and Christmas. There is even some island somewhere in the Pacific whose name I forget, that has a Linux use of around 17 percent. Those four islands have the highest Linux use of anywhere in the world currently.

Edit: I forgot to mention that in some countries windows 8.1 was the second most used OS. Along with an Unkown OS.

Edited by eunderhill

On a small side note, I even found out that Microsoft doesn't control the majority of the PC market on a few small islands. Linux is king in those places with Windows 7 coming in second. The islands are Norfolk, Pitcairne, and Christmas. There is even some island somewhere in the Pacific whose name I forget, that has a Linux use of around 17 percent. Those four islands have the highest Linux use of anywhere in the world currently.

Hmmm,

particularly Pitcairn, with its population of 56 people :w00t: might be not on the high priority list of MS (or Apple for that matters) marketing.

Anyway, it is interesting, this graph here:

http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-os-PN-daily-20151201-20151231

Shows how on 12th december 2015 OSX was 100% :w00t:, on 28th december Windows 8.1 was 100% :ph34r: and in several dates, 3/4/6/19/22 and 31st december Windows 7 was 100% :yes:.

It remains a mystery how Windows 10 managed to make 94.12% :unsure: on the 15th and Linux managed to make 98.26% :dubbio: on the 24th December.

jaclaz

On a small side note, I even found out that Microsoft doesn't control the majority of the PC market on a few small islands. Linux is king in those places with Windows 7 coming in second. The islands are Norfolk, Pitcairne, and Christmas. There is even some island somewhere in the Pacific whose name I forget, that has a Linux use of around 17 percent. Those four islands have the highest Linux use of anywhere in the world currently.

Hmmm,

particularly Pitcairn, with its population of 56 people :w00t: might be not on the high priority list of MS (or Apple for that matters) marketing.

Anyway, it is interesting, this graph here:

http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-os-PN-daily-20151201-20151231

Shows how on 12th december 2015 OSX was 100% :w00t:, on 28th december Windows 8.1 was 100% :ph34r: and in several dates, 3/4/6/19/22 and 31st december Windows 7 was 100% :yes:.

It remains a mystery how Windows 10 managed to make 94.12%  :unsure: on the 15th and Linux managed to make 98.26% :dubbio: on the 24th December.

jaclaz

The only thing I can think of is it might be due to visitors. Christmas Island and Norfolk Island also seem to change in the same way.

It appears that StatsCounter isn't logging a trtend at all, rather what OS is being used during any given period. One day OSX and not Linux, another day Linux and not OSX.

Multibooters must drive that website crazy!

It appears that StatsCounter isn't logging a trtend at all, rather what OS is being used during any given period. One day OSX and not Linux, another day Linux and not OSX.

Multibooters must drive that website crazy!

That's another good possibility. I do know Pitcairn does get some visitors too. It would probably be a complicatd mess to figure out what OS is in use by the small population there.

Yep :) still someone should be able to find two couples of integer numbers where:

a/b=0.9412

and

c/d=0.9826

with b and d both small enough, to be credible, let's say (given that the population is 56, less than 200 or 300 including visitors, is not like every human being is connected at a same time).

0.9412 can be easily obtained with a=16 and b=17 (and of course their multiples) but to get 0.9826 I cannot find any value that satisfies the formula.

Closest I can find is c=623 d=634

jaclaz

Let's just chalk this up to, like political polls, not very reliable indicators of reality.

That may very well be the truth. I'd say that these charts for most places give a ball park figure at best. For these small population places, it is not very accurate. A case in point, I have my Firefox under Slackware set to appear as Windows 7 to get around some problems with a few websites that I frequent that expect you to be using Windows. the question is, how many people are doing the same thing as me?

... Pitcairn, with its population of 56 people :w00t: might be not on the high priority list of MS  ...

Perhaps they know better than to risk a new mutiny by shoving malware down the pitcairners' throats ... :D

I have never used Windows 10, but I do see a parallel between recent Windows versions and my government: as every year goes by, we give up even more choice and individuality.

The questionable privacy policies of Windows 10 offset any benefit of receiving a "free" product. In my opinion telemetry is a serious risk and concern in today's age. If Microsoft is hacked, those results on their servers could expose corporate trade secrets and classified government information.