ATI Widescreen support for Win9x?

Tommy

I got it to work! I dug deeper into PowerStrip's settings and found a feature that lets me add a custom resolution. I added the 1440x900, rebooted, and was able to select it in the display properties. I'm curious as to what PowerStrip did to the registry to add the resolution, because I tried everything I could think of.

Is the fact that I'm using a TV relevant? As far as I know, it functions just like any ordinary LCD monitor, just that it also has TV inputs. My VGA cable does support EDID, if that's what you mean.

@CamTron; @ABCDEFG; I was talking nVidia, my error. Yes the ATI card drivers do not have this resolution, you can temporary manually up date the registry but when you install a new card then it will be overwritten. I fluked the manual registry update, I could not emulate it. I like ABCDEFGs' idea of updating the inf,  I tried a similar thing myself but failed. There sometimes are several infs that 6.2 can use, and when installing make sure that it is choosing the one you have altered. Also be sure to update both infs. the one/s in the %WinDir%\inf and the one where the catalyst install directory is. 

Some manufacturers put some of their driver files into the windows install directory (options install), ATI All in Wonder did this and it caused installation problems afterwards, so I put the install cabs in a different directory. I have to tell windows were the install cabs are when it requires them but that is OK by me. AIW: ATI really put their best chips in these.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
removed some irrelevance

Sorry for not reading properly. It looks like the INI file in the windows inf folder has to be updated as well. In my case %WinDir%\INF\Other\ATI Tech - EnhancedC7_30314.ini for the X850. Once the INI and INF files are ready I would not allow installation from the compressed catalyst install directory. I would tell windows to find files in the inf\other system and system32\drivers folders. You can uncompressed files, expand them yourself. eg expand C:\ATI\ati2evxx.dl_ C:\ATI\ati2evxx.dll  .I still run ATIPTA and ATIPOLL (starting up) always when using nVidia cards as I  have trouble otherwise.

About nVidia drivers, the 81.98 did not work on standard PCI cards (hardware configuration wrong) but 77.72 did work these cards. 82.69 from "Win9xForever" does work these PCI cards I think but I do not run NVSVC from this driver.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
removed some irrelevance