Localised version of XP, language and SP

FranceBB

I have to apologize for the horrible topic title in the first place, but I seriously wasn't able to think about anything else rather than this. Sorry xD

Ok, then, I have a few questions about XP, language packs and Service Packs.

I have a localised version of Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 installed, but, since I have an Italian version (blame on me, I know), I can't install Service Pack 4, which is not exactly a big deal, but still...

Anyway, I successfully installed updates post EoL and everything run smoothly.

Unfortunatley, my OS is in Italian and I tried to change the language times ago via International Options, but it didn't work (of course), it just installed the U.K keyboard since I don't have an international English version with the Italian language pack installed, but just an Italian version. Then, I tried to install the official multilanguage pack, but it didn't work for the same reason. As to the updates, I know that in Windows XP all the updates are localised etc, so Windows Updates is downloading updates in Italian every single time.

In a nutshell, my question is: is there a way to change the OS version without installing it from scratch? Besides, is there a way to install a kind of localised version of Service Pack 4?

Thank you in advance.

p.s almost forget, a question totally unlinked to this topic, what's the difference between XP and XP MCE? I mean, I read the Wikipedia page and, as long as I know, there should be the change to install a sort of MCE patch in Windows XP Professional in order to include MCE functions in that; is that correct?

Edited by FranceBB

Follow these steps to install SP4

1)To change the system installed locale language, run Registry Editor, and then navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Nls\Language registry key, and then change the value date for “Default” and “InstallLanguage” registry value to “0409“, which represent US English.

2) Then, open Control Panel, and open Regional and Language Options. In Regional Options and Advanced tabs, set the language to English (US) as default format and language for non-Unicode programs. Click on “OK” when done, and then reboot the system.

Hi FranceBB,

I'm also interested in building a localized Service Pack like Harkaz has done. Harkaz has been very helpful to the Windows XP community by building the Service Pack himself for English versions and even MUI versions. He also published some instructions and even a video about signing the patched files, the 'Microsoft' way.

However I would also like to see the Windows XP Service Pack project to become fully open source, so we are no longer dependent on one developer maintaining the project.

Harkaz has also mentioned something about this in the KernelEx thread here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/175138-kernelex-001-for-windows-xp-currently-in-development/#entry1117596

I have sent him a PM about my ideas about a week ago, but he has not replied yet.

Edited by Acheron

You may try to build it by starting from my SP4 and adding all language-specific registry/file information, to save some time, instead of starting from the SP3 package. It's all about understanding the INF files and what registry entries must be present. There are many other secrets about building a service pack, I've told Acheron about some of them.

This really could have made a book, but I simply don't have the time to start writing. It's not my profession anyway.