Recurring updates fail to install

FranceBB

Hi,

I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 3 plus all the updates post end of support (WEPOS and POSReady 2009), root certificates updates and I have a modified kernel made from Windows Server 2003 x86 in order to have PAE unlock as well. When I open Windows Updates, it keeps finding two updates and tries to install them but they both fail to install every single time. I tried to install them using Windows Setup and using the shut down function (I mean, when user is logged off) but none of them worked. I tried to disable and create from scratch the update folder created by Windows, but it didn't solve the problem. These updates are (KB928367) and .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3.

The funny thing is that I have all the .NET Framework already installed and I don't even think I need these updates:

.NET Frameworks installed
    v4.0 Full
    v4.0 Client
    v3.5 SP1
    v3.0 SP2
    v2.0 SP2
    v1.1 SP1
    v1.0 SP3

So... yep, that's about it. Any sugestion?

Thank you in advance.

Thank you for that.

I'm gonna do that and I'll let you know asap.

Besides, I would like to keep .net 1 due to compatibility with a few old programs.

Off topic

As to the country, I'm in Italy on a temporary basis since I live in Elgin Mews (Notting Hill, London). It's a lovely place, pretty close to Hyde Park. I'm Italian, though, so I use to go back to Italy quite often; you know, family etc so you will see my ip change quite often. Anyway, if you want I can change the flag, I mean, it's not a big deal. Up to you.

Aaron Stebner's blog has all the info you need to remove and reinstall .NET 1.0, and it can be both removed and reinstalled without touching the other .NET versions. However, there is some evidence that when removing and reinstalling once does not fix the issue you mentioned, doing it twice works (I've seen it myself, and no, I don't know why). Good luck!

As for the flag, given what you said, it's OK, let it remain as it is.

As for the flag, given what you said, it's OK, let it remain as it is.

Good :), the only issue is now about the member name :dubbio: , at first sight I thought you were a Brit living in a French Bed & Breakfast that accidentally bought an Italian PC in a highway service area in Italy[1]:ph34r:.

jaclaz

[1] ... and curiously enough :w00t: there was actually a PC in the box ;).

FranceBB is just France (my name - Francesco) and B is the first letter of my surname. If you Google FranceBB OPF-Italia you will find out that I used to be an important fansubber in the Italian fansub world and that I'm no longer a fansubber.

Anyway I don't wanna go off topic any further ;)

Thank you Dencorso for your help; I'm gonna uninstall and re-install it tomorrow! :)

I removed .net 1.0 SP3 and that, indeed, solved the error in Windows Update, but now when I try to perform a fresh install it says that it's not possible to install .net 1.0 SP3 'cause is not compatible with the version already installed (which is none, except for the new ones). I think I'll need to uninstall all the other .net frameworks and then re-install them all from scratch...

I'll keep you updated.