Root Certificates and Revoked Certificates for Windows XP

heinoganda

On 7/29/2018 at 5:07 PM, Thomas S. said:

Info: there is a newer version of this adminpack (WindowsServer2003-KB340178-SP2) from ~ 2007.

So be careful with this very old stuff...

Why do not you give a correct link right away? This forum is there to help each other.

Following a link to the latest Adminpak for Windows Server 2003:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=6315

Incidentally, for the two files certutil.exe and certadm.dll not necessarily the Adminpak must be installed, with 7zip open the msi file and extract the two files.

:)

Edited by heinoganda

57 minutes ago, heinoganda said:

Why do not you give a correct link right away? This forum is there to help each other.

To HELP - right word!

Because it is not relevant to this problem!?! Didn't you say that yourself??? :crazy:

And what is the 'right' link? Which version and language?!!? :no:

I don't know, must look for it like everyone else here and do not have the motivation to do THIS work for others.

Be glad I ever gave a clue to the newer version!

Are these enough reasons? No? More relevant:

I give the right hint to solve the problem. For me this is enough help.

I don't need more questions about 'not working' admin tools from people not knowing what they are doing and for what this tools are...

To use the admin snap ins / tools you need a training. And this is not possible here!!

Otherwise you have created more problems than help.

I was more than 20 years admin and user advisor - I know where I have to be quiet... :worship:

On 7/29/2018 at 10:07 AM, Thomas S. said:

The link was not given to solve the discussed problem. It is only a example how to use Inet...

If you don't know what it is - let it be. It's the second advice, but most ignored.

So many problems without a reason - sorry, but... :buehehe::whistle:

Info: there is a newer version of this adminpack (WindowsServer2003-KB340178-SP2) from ~ 2007.

So be careful with this very old stuff...

I was specifically after the "certutil.exe" utility. AFAIK it's only available as part of the full package. Edit: Although thanks Heinoganda for listing the two files I (and 99% of us) really needed. Unfortunately I'd already installed the whole thing.

Anyway, I have it now - along with a boatload of other utilities I'll never use in my "Administrative Tools" folder.

Edited by Mathwiz

1 hour ago, Thomas S. said:

Because it is not relevant to this problem!?! Didn't you say that yourself??? :crazy:

Right, I have already documented in a previous comment that it is even without certutil.exe feasible to solve the actual problem and additionally provided a code for a batch file. Hence my adaptation to Windows XP, with appropriate solutions, before users harm their Windows XP with older tools.

And what is the 'right' link? Which version and language?!!? :no:

The user can choose this, if it is necessary to install the administration tool for Windows Server 2003 SP2 or to extract the two files.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=6315

I give the right hint to solve the problem. For me this is enough help.

We are also grateful for that, but the implementation for the average consumer is already a bit more difficult, especially as already written, that the support side of MS refers to newer Windows variants. This should not be a reproach, but even if it goes against the grain with some questions, the tone should remain factual.

I don't need more questions about 'not working' admin tools from people not knowing what they are doing and for what this tools are...

To use the admin snap ins / tools you need a training. And this is not possible here!!

I have to agree with you, there would have been a hint in a previous comment was not bad, but unfortunately the cat is out of the bag. Therefore, my attempt that the two files certutil.exe and certadm.dll (extract with 7zip) are sufficient for the purpose.

I can only hope that the users understand that the Admin Tools are not needed to solve the problem with Event ID 4107 or Event ID 11!

I am not able to correctly find the latest update for heinoganda's Root Certificates and revoked certificates updater.

update 06/29/2018  Version 1.3

Added feature, more information in "Info Version 1.3.txt" in the download.

Please show me the correct link ... I only see two 'Download' tabs and only get a music player download or crazy ads from the other. I'm being told my 'flash' is 'out of date', which it is not. All kinds of crazy ads and 'junk' trying to be downloaded on my computer from that link.

It must have been hacked in some way since there is no download from heinoganda that I can find ... just a bunch of silly ads.

thanks,

5 hours ago, heinoganda said:

...but even if it goes against the grain with some questions, the tone should remain factual.

Thank you very much for this advice (sorry for my tone)! :angel

Please note that I remain factual as long as the matter is factual. :cool:
Some users ignore the most important hints (e.g. Java), blindly install everything that exists - without needing it - and then wonder about new bugs or security problems.
In such cases, I basically change the tone and I become very clear sometimes! :realmad:

But I am human and made mistakes myself, so let us end this dispute - make no sense...

2 hours ago, Monroe said:

I am not able to correctly find the latest update for heinoganda's Root Certificates and revoked certificates updater.

Please show me the correct link ... I only see two 'Download' tabs and only get a music player download or crazy ads from the other.

If you try to use a web browser where an ad blocker (μBlock) is installed, then this problem should not be present.

certinfo.jpg

But I am human and made mistakes myself, so let us end this dispute - make no sense...

Nobody wants to argue here, as I see it more as a controversial exchange of words.

Edited by heinoganda

EDIT - I found heinoganda's link and installed and ran Cert_Updater v 1.3.  The sun is still shining, but maybe everybody has switched right and left shoes - anything is possible with the Cert_Updater!

Hey, heinoganda, my oldest and dearest friend -- there's a version 1.3?  May I ask you for the link etc.?  (And what will happen this time if I try to use it?  Maybe I'll win the lottery?)

Also, do you recommend that I stay away from Windows Server 2003 SP2 administration tool at this time?  I'm just reading some science fiction short stories about old repair robots on junkyard space ships that get all the humans into deep trouble, and so maybe I should avoid this "administration tool" for the moment?

Thanks.

Edited by glnz

10 hours ago, Monroe said:

Please show me the correct link ... I only see two 'Download' tabs and only get a music player download or crazy ads from the other. I'm being told my 'flash' is 'out of date', which it is not. All kinds of crazy ads and 'junk' trying to be downloaded on my computer from that link.

It must have been hacked in some way since there is no download from heinoganda that I can find ... just a bunch of silly ads.

thanks,

Zippyshare.com is renowned for hosting deceptive ads that look like the actual download link, and pop-ups that try to scare you into downloading their spyware. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of good alternative file sharing sites around.

Thanks heinoganda and Mathwiz for the assistance.

Heinoganda ... I don't know why I had a problem with your download this time, I have downloaded your downloads before from zippyshare with no problems. I use the New Moon browser from roytam1 and I don't think it has an 'ad blocker' of any kind, but I could be wrong.

I was sent a link and I got the download OK.

Mathwiz, I am a little familiar with zippyshare and the crazy ads ... have only downloaded a few times there ... but this time was 'no go' for me trying to find the right link.

Again thanks for the help to both of you.

Monroe

I've had this problem a lot with Zippyshare, junk advertising pages appearing when you click the download link.
If you just go back and try again, eventually you will get the correct page, although it can take a few tries.

Mathwiz ... I just started to use New Moon 28 this past week-end with the latest update from roytam1. I am using NM 27 at this time but I will use NM 28 more and see how it works.

I will check uBlock Origin out ... I am not familiar with it. I take it is a Firefox add on . I will check it out on Google and try to get it added or in place with New Moon 28.

After my experience last night with zippyshare ... I want it installed or some form of ad blocking. That was sort of wild with things popping up everywhere.

Dave-H ... thanks for the information. Just wasn't sure why I was having so many problems this time with zippyshare. I have been there before a few times and didn't have the problems like I did last night.

They may have added more ads ... it is nice to have a place to get downloads from people and nothing is exactly free these days but it was a real 'knock-down' last night.

I'm anxious to look into everything Mathwiz just posted about New Moon 28, maybe that will fix things for the future.

Monroe

Has the added functionality of Cert Updater v1.3 been tested yet? Read in the "Info Version 1.3.txt".

@Dave-H

Have you already tested the problem solution for Event ID 4107 or Event ID 11 with the batch file or Manually?

Our lottery player would like to return his ticket. Oops, what is the "resident supermegaüberhyper-ultraparanoid"? :blink: