Root Certificates and Revoked Certificates for Windows XP

heinoganda

Actual I am working on a little AutoHotkey script that will be able to download new MS CertStore SST files an install them right.

The procedere:

1. look only for newer files on MS server and download them only if they are newer.

2. compare the actual stored file dates with the last installation (file dates are stored in a INI file).

3. ask for confirmation

4. install all SST files

5. show the status (errors if some), safe dates in INI file and finish.

So only new files wiill be installed, regardless files on MS servers.

In a few days I will be ready... :)

Dialogs of first debug tests:

#1.JPG

#2.JPG

#3.JPG

Downloaded heinoganda's certificate updater. Extracted files and I got two files Certificate updater version 1.2 and Certificate updater version 1.3. I gather I will have to run version 1.3 is that right ? Is there anything else I should be aware of ? So just by running that file certificates will be updated.

Thank you in advance

By the way my windows update is disabled due to the high cpu usage. Does that matter ?

PS: My system is not Posready. I reckon I got all the office 2007updates post 2014 and all the updates that MS published after that date.

Edited by Tangy
Additional info

8 minutes ago, Tangy said:

By the way my windows update is disabled due to the high cpu usage. Does that matter ?

PS: My system is not Posready.

I believe the high-CPU issue with Windows Update was resolved recently. However, I'm pretty sure the fix was a POSReady update....

lol. The first reply is a bot, but the followin ones are not. I mean, there's a real operator there. I contacted them other times and some of them were funny and very polite. Besides, a bot wouldn't ask me to fill a report (a feedback), saying how was my experience with the operator.

They basically have a set of pre-configured answers (like the one you send with your mobile when someone tries to call you, but you are busy), but they can write things down themselves as well.

Edited by FranceBB

I've now set up a scheduled task to run @heinoganda's certificate updater automatically on Patch Tuesday every month.
I'll leave the automatic updates turned off unless and until someone reports that it's fixed.
I hadn't realised that they were doing the same thing anyway!
When updates happen, is the old certificate information replaced with the new information, or will any old certificates that aren't in the new update remain on the system?
:dubbio:

Is anyone else getting e-mail notification from this thread BTW, as I don't seem to be, although I am getting them from other threads?

Dave-H - I'm getting email notifications for SOME of the new posts on this thread (like yours just above but not some of the immediately preceding ones).

At a meta+ironic level, in my XP machine's Outlook Express (which I understand is closely tied to IE). when I click on email notifications about updates to MSFN threads, I get Certificate Error warnings, but NOT just now for the one that has inspired this post.

Edited by glnz

I got a notification for your post as well, but nothing for the previous eight before mine, but that may have been because I didn't visit the forum again until I next posted.
Are the certificate errors you're seeing just about a name mis-match?
If so, you can just switch those warnings off in the internet settings.
:)

Thanks, I haven't knowingly changed my notifications for years, but I thought it was possible that the outage a few months ago might have scrambled things, so i checked, and it looks correct.

Notifications.thumb.jpg.94505a0ce9e92597771dcf5c6a0b9505.jpg

Those are my settings, and they look like what I want, with a separate e-mail for every added post.

On 9/18/2018 at 10:30 AM, Dave-H said:

Is anyone else getting e-mail notification from this thread BTW, as I don't seem to be, although I am getting them from other threads?

I've not received a single notification on this thread......