Root Certificates and Revoked Certificates for Windows XP

heinoganda

For all who are interested in an independent Update Root Certificates and revoked certificates, I want to offer a small downloader and updater (available now) without version confusion.

Download

Download 2

Archive Password:

S4QH5TIefi7m9n1XLyTIZ3V5hSv4se1XB6jJZpH5TfB6vkJ8hfRxU7DWB2p

Eliminates misspellings, change from "Continue updating?" to "Do you want to update certificates?" thanks @hmuellers 

update 10/05/2018  Version 1.6

Corrected several bugs, optimized the program, improved some features, an additional function implemented and download URL's updated.

update 09/29/2018  Version 1.5

Corrected several bugs, optimized the program and improved some features.

update 09/25/2018  Version 1.4

Various features implemented so that no obsolete sst files are installed. It is now possible to use additional download sources for existing download sources (up to 5), one another download source has already been added. Further information can be found in the file "Info Version 1.4.txt".

update 06/29/2018  Version 1.3

Added feature, more information in "Info Version 1.3.txt" in the download.

update 02/16/2016  Version 1.2

Due Country-specific formats of date display, partly the creation date of sst files was not correctly displayed.

update 12/18/2015  Version 1.1

The creation date of the downloaded sst files appears.

:)

Edited by heinoganda

@blackwingcat

Thanks.

I've over-ridden the warning, and it seems to have installed fine!

:thumbup

@ heinoganda

I've just downloaded it thanks.

Does this do the same thing as blackwingcat's file I've just installed?

Presumably it doesn't enable future certificate updates to happen automatically, I would have to implement the procedure you outlined before to do that.

Edited by Dave-H

@Dave-H

Not quite: when you run the program the current root certificates and rekoved certificates are freshly downloaded and then updated thereafter. It can be executed at any time to update the certificates, but an Internet connection to MS is required, in order for it to be able to retrieve the latest certificates.

Thank you!

I ran it and it worked fine.

Presumably it has installed the same certificates as blackwingcat's file, as they are the most recent?

I looked at the contents of the installer, and I think I understand what it does.

Am I right in assuming that a new version of this will be need to be made every time the certificates are updated?

@ Dave-H

Excuse my bad English, you need no new program as long as the download links work. If MS updated the certificates then this program will download the newer root certificates and revoked certificates (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/dn904173.aspx). It is enough to run it every 3 months, except at times when there is an Security Advisory announcement due to uncertain certificates. (Which I'll announce in this forum also).

Please don't apologise, your English is a great deal better than my German!

:lol:

That's good to know that your program should work to download later certificate updates as well as the current ones.

blackwingcat's update file is a modified version of the MS original update patch by the look of it, so only contains the current October 2015 certificates.

What made me wonder was the version numbers in the inf files, which I thought would change and prevent it working with later updates.

Edited by Dave-H

@ Dave-H

If you are a few posts back go there a lot to read, I use the latest version numbers were where officially in updates where to refer on WU and MU (especially were offered in May 2014. by WU and MU otherwise an older update, I'm a bit careful because nobody knows what that MS still in the future at WU and MU incorporates for queries, especially for Windows XP.) 

The Cert Updater incidentally is no version number, to the confusion not able to finish.

Edited by heinoganda

@hmuellers

At times before the end of support, and at the present time these two updates were only to undo in the corresponding are removed certificates by hand in the Certificate Manager.

(Thanks for the hint, I have created until now, and I'm going to change immediately, will not affect the function.)

Edited by heinoganda

can you extract those certs and upload them ?

There's no reason for that. heinoganda's tutorial already gives links for the certificates.

I posted a tutorial here where one lets me current Roots certificates and revoked certificate for Windows XP again. Now, the steps followed exactly, then you will understand what is at stake with these version numbers! Incidentally, there is not that you should download and install only "rvkroots.exe" and / or "rootsupd.exe". :no:

@vinifera

The small downloader and updater for certificates based on the turtorial have previously published.

@all

In this context I have just a conversation with Monroe (PM) based on the topic "Certificates manager Question" where it sometimes comes to SHA-2 certificates. Currently one needs KB3055973 to get more functionality. Because this update can be installed only on the English version of Windows XP, users can get this as a multilingual version by request (PM).

Edited by heinoganda