Installing SP4.

Roffen

I was unable to insert any files into the post, tried several times but no luck. Here is a sample:

[svcpack.log]
1.984: ================================================================================
1.984: 2016/02/21 13:15:37.875 (local)
1.984: k:\d65b7046fdf75dd8e691b2b0f0a907\i386\update\update.exe (version 6.3.15.0)
2.047: Service Pack started with following command line:
2.047: In Function GetReleaseSet, line 1240, RegQueryValueEx failed with error 0x2
2.047: CreateUserInterface:  DefineInstallCustomUI returned 0x0
2.078: Return Value From OnACPower = 1
2.078: OnACPower returned value( 0x1 ) which is Equal To 0x1
2.078: Condition succeeded for section OnACPower.Section in Line 1 of PreRequisite
2.078:  SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Computer Toolkit is not Present
2.078: Condition succeeded for section SharedComputerTool.Section in Line 2 of PreRequisite
2.078:  SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\KB925877 is not Present
2.078: First Condition in RDPMUI.Section Succeeded
2.078: Condition succeeded for section RDPMUI.Section in Line 3 of PreRequisite
2.078:  SYSTEM\WPA\Fundamentals is not Present
2.078: First Condition in Winflp.Section Succeeded
2.078: Condition succeeded for section Winflp.Section in Line 4 of PreRequisite
2.078:  SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS is not Present
2.078: First Condition in WEPOS.Section Succeeded
2.078: Condition succeeded for section WEPOS.Section in Line 5 of PreRequisite
13.453: InstallInfCatalogFile: Installing k:\d65b7046fdf75dd8e691b2b0f0a907\i386\update\sp4.cat as _000000_.cat...
13.453: VerifyTargetFileSize: Unable to verify size as Source = NULL for file c:\windows\_000000_.cat
14.578: InstallInfCatalogFile: Installation succeeded.
18.109: In Function TestVolatileFlag, line 11825, RegOpenKeyEx failed with error 0x2
18.109: In Function TestVolatileFlag, line 11857, RegOpenKeyEx failed with error 0x2
18.109: DoInstallation: CleanPFR failed: 0x2
18.109: In Function GetReleaseSet, line 1240, RegQueryValueEx failed with error 0x2
18.109: SetProductTypes: InfProductBuildType=BuildType.IP
18.125: SetAltOsLoaderPath: No section uses DirId 65701; done.
18.265: IncludeDirectoryIdFromInfSection: No DirId found for: DontRemoveOnUninst.DirId
18.281: SupplicantMode is Not Present
18.281: Fist Condition in Dot3svc.CheckSupplicantMode.Enabled Failed
18.281: Condition Check for Line 1 of Dot3svc.Automatic.ExtendedConditional returned FALSE

It is so big I created a MSWord doc zip file but again, was unable to plug it in. I have a solution that I will use tomorrow.

I have another error I encountered, so much was going on but I believe it happened while installing Acronis and I was trying to perform some details of the installation/registration pocedures, here:

Managed Machine Service Mini has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry...
Error signature:
szAppName> mms_mini.exe xzAppVer> 12.0.0.29 szModName> zmg_nfra.dll
Following files will be included in error report:
C:\DOCUME~1Rolf\LOCALS~\Temp\WERb212.dir00\mms_mini.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1Rolf\LOCALS~\Temp\WERb212.dir00\appcombat.txt

Edited by Roffen

It is so big I created a MSWord doc zip file but again, was unable to plug it in. I have a solution that I will use tomorrow.

I'm just curious, but what does MSWord or the .doc file type have to do with compressing/archiving the svcpack.log file into a more manageable size? What archiving program are you using to try and compress the log into a zip file?

The log file should just be a "regular" text file. Maybe you registered the .log file type with MSWord or you were using MSWord to open the file to read it if notepad said it was too large? (I forget what the size limits are for notepad.)

Here's a suggestion for some utilities that you might want to download and install that are very well known and respected, small, free for individual home use, and will all install on your XP SP3 system:

-- To calculate and verify MD5's for you you can use HashTab and/or HashCheck. You can install both, but you only heed one or the other. Either should serve your needs well.

-- If you need to open large text files that Notepad can't open because they are too large, you could use Notepad2-mod. You should find it very familiar if you are used to Notepad.  You can find the download files here.  You can either use the installer Notepad2-mod.4.2.25.970.exe, or the Notepad2-mod.4.2.25.970_x86.zip if you don't want to install it for any reason. If you choose that option, simply expand the Notepad2-mod.4.2.25.970_x86.zip wherever you like and double-click on the Notepad2.exe file to run it.

-- A very good free archiving program is 7-Zip. It's default format is .7z, but it can handle .zip, .rar, and other archive formats just fine.  Using 7-Zip should create a significantly smaller compressed copy of your.log file.

Cheers and Regards

OK, I guess I'll start from scratch again. The  "Managed Machine Service Mini has encountered a problem" msg is displayed as soon as the machine has booted.svcpack.7z

Other than that, I haven't yet done enough work to determine if there are other problems.

Maybe the svcpack can help with that.

Well, it really should be very straightforward, shouldn't it?

Here is what I think:

1. Make sure the machine is disconnected from the web.

2. If you haven't already, install Windows XP (Check requirement wrt. Service Pack version)

3. Run latest version of SP4

4. You should not get any error messages or interruptions to the installation of SP4. If anything like that happens, you, or your system is  doing something wrong.

BTW,  I don't recommend using the link to Nero Lite - it took me to a quite different place.

I thought the problem was that you experience some problems installing Service Pack 4 on your system, not me.

BTW, I do not recommend upgrading your existing installation to Windows XP SP4 when installing from CD, but install Windows XP to an empty partition of your hard disc, or a different hard disc. If you don't need to save your existing data you can choose to quick format the existing partition during setup.

About the link to my site. It should work fine. I have sent you a PM about that.

Edited by Acheron

From Win7, the link is ok. But on XP(Sp4), I got a quite unrelated site. Tried once only.

BTW, I understand that SP4 (preferably or mandatory?) should be installed on a new, without updates XP?

And auto updates may of course be enabled as sonn as it has been tested and running ok?

Edited by Roffen

Yes, I suspect you have some malware infection on your current installation. Installing SP4 on top of it will not fix this issue, as it will only update the Windows system components, but not get rid of the infection. I suggest backing up any important files, license keys and set up a fresh partition to use, or another empty hard disc to install your original Windows XP to.

Then after having installed a clean copy of Windows XP you can install SP4 on top of it.