EMET on up-to-date Windows XP

Dave-H

• 1 year later...

Unfortunately, there is no more recent EMET like version 5.52 and therefore no more recent newer PinRules. As announced by MS only for Windows 10 (Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection), maybe the PinRules can be exported here?). Sorry that I can offer no better solutions. :no:

:)

So is EMET effectively now completely obsolete?
I downloaded the latest version (5.52) and the installer contains the same PinRules that just expired.
If you have the latest version installed (not on XP obviously) does it update the PinRules automatically still to a later version?
:dubbio:

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

OK, I've now just deleted the PinRules which had expired.
I had to delete the websites that were using them (which was all of those listed) before EMET would let me do that.
I did read somewhere that these "protected sites" (Yahoo, Twitter, Facebook etc.) are only actually protected by EMET when using Internet Explorer.
Is that right?
If that's the case there's no point in having them set up anyway, as I never use IE now for websites, only for Microsoft Update, as the sites don't usually work properly now in IE8 anyway!
:dubbio:

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

Thank you for this information....Just yesterday I finally confirmed after hours and hours of going through the process of elimination, the problem.   I have MBAE version 41 installed (following the automatic update) and just this week, firefox, IE8, slimjet and outlook express have all either failed to start or stopped after loading.   I went back to previous images of my drive and still encountered the problem and was starting to think there may be a hardware issue that developed.

Finally, upon disabling MBAE, everything settled down and started functioning properly.   I now know to drop back to the previous version, which I have saved, until this issue is addressed by malwarebytes organization.  

Follow the instructions of the forum:

After you do so:

Double-Click on MBAE in your system tray to open it.

Click on the SETTINGS tab.

UNcheck the box to "Automatically upgrade to new versions".

That stops the AUTOMATIC (i.e., without prompting you to confirm) updates.   HOWEVER, you will now be presented with a "nag screen" prompting you to allow the update EACH TIME YOU REBOOT.   You need to click CANCEL whenever you're presented with this confirmation dialogue if you want to keep the older version in use.

This is what I added to the HOSTS file to avoid having MBAE auto-verison-update and nag me for updates:

127.0.0.1       data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...