How to Move Details Pane to Bottom without Memory Patching [Win10]

MDJ

On 2016-06-19 at 4:25 PM, EpicForever said:
On 2016-07-27 at 11:30 AM, EliteIman said:
On 2016-07-29 at 5:16 AM, ljztruck said:

Hi everyone! I'm sorry for my late answer, for some unknown reason I wasn't subscribed to my own topic. I reuploaded the file now, feel free to ask if you have any questions!

On 8/4/2016 at 1:34 AM, MDJ said:

Hi everyone! I'm sorry for my late answer, for some unknown reason I wasn't subscribed to my own topic. I reuploaded the file now, feel free to ask if you have any questions!

Thank you very much. Got the file and did all the steps. The detail pane is there for now, I just hope it stays there and doesn't disappear like before, will report if it did. Anyway, thanks for this guide. :)

On 2016-04-06 at 7:02 PM, AltairAC said:

1. I can see that a section mark has been added and the color of the Status Bar has changed from white to grey. What's your concern exactly? Are these both changes deranging you?
2. This isn't related to my tutorial but anyway I don't know any other way to fix this annoyance rather than applying a registry tweak described here: http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-show-app-version-and-other-properties-in-details-pane-of-explorer/

On 2016-04-06 at 7:02 PM, AltairAC said:

Some guidelines :

• Before doing any step of the tutorial, install OldNewExplorer
  • Follow the tutorial steps until you have two steps left (i.e. step 9 and 10 i.e. 9th and 10th bulletin point). After you saved a copy of the modified shellstyle.dll somewhere on your computer but before replacing the unmodified version, do the following:
    • make a backup copy of the unmodified version
    • take ownership of the original unmodified version (in my case : "C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\aero\Shell\NormalColor\shellstyle.dll") - the easiest way to do so is adding a "Take Ownership" option to the Win10 context menu - see here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3841-take-ownership-add-context-menu-windows-10-a.html
    • before you replace the unmodified version with the modified shellstyle.dll, change your theme to a High Contrast Theme : http://i.imgur.com/o5T5vAF.png
    • replace the unmodified shellstyle.dll with the modified shellstyle.dll
    • change your theme back to the one your try to modify (in my case: High Contrast Theme -> Aero Theme)
    • restart your computer and you are done!

Thanks for mentioning the tips marked in green! Although the step of taking ownership is only required when modifying default Windows VS it's a great idea to add this to the tutorial. Switching to High Contrast theme whilst replacing shellstyle.dll isn't required too unless a person doesn't use any custom VSs.

The step marked in red isn't required. Changes are visible at the same moment one replaces the required file and switches back to the VS to which s/he made the change, there's no need for restarting.

On 09.08.2016. at 10:32 PM, MDJ said:

1. I can see that a section mark has been added and the color of the Status Bar has changed from white to grey. What's your concern exactly? Are these both changes deranging you?
2. This isn't related to my tutorial but anyway I don't know any other way to fix this annoyance rather than applying a registry tweak described here: http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-show-app-version-and-other-properties-in-details-pane-of-explorer/

1. Yes, both changes bother me but the mismatching colors are my main "concern".

2. Thank you!

On 2016-08-12 at 0:52 AM, AltairAC said:

1. Yes, both changes bother me but the mismatching colors are my main "concern".

2. Thank you!

Have in mind that following the tutorial from Winaero I provided you'll have to repeat the same process for all different types of files you can find in your computer. Sadly, I don't know how to do this all at once.

I also wanted to announce that I was able to fix your problems with Status Bar. My earlier patch was enabling the styling of it. It means that the VS which was used determined the colors of the bar and its separators. In order to main its whiteness and separatorness in all cases I removed this function. I've already updated my main post, here's the link to the alternative version: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqH_Zsatex9liyiFQWceS_Q72B4c .

Edited by MDJ

• 1 month later...
On 7/28/2016 at 10:16 PM, ljztruck said:

OldNewExplorer is very unstable, and I often need to restart explorer.exe manully...

Would you please send the UI files again? The OneDrive sharing is unavailable... Thanks!

Yes, this is very annoying, when I'm moving a lot of files the program stops working and all of a sudden the details pane is on the side.

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2016 at 5:02 PM, AltairAC said:

Some guidelines :

• Before doing any step of the tutorial, install OldNewExplorer
  • Follow the tutorial steps until you have two steps left (i.e. step 9 and 10 i.e. 9th and 10th bulletin point). After you saved a copy of the modified shellstyle.dll somewhere on your computer but before replacing the unmodified version, do the following:
    • make a backup copy of the unmodified version
    • take ownership of the original unmodified version (in my case : "C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\aero\Shell\NormalColor\shellstyle.dll") - the easiest way to do so is adding a "Take Ownership" option to the Win10 context menu - see here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3841-take-ownership-add-context-menu-windows-10-a.html
    • before you replace the unmodified version with the modified shellstyle.dll, change your theme to a High Contrast Theme : http://i.imgur.com/o5T5vAF.png
    • replace the unmodified shellstyle.dll with the modified shellstyle.dll
    • change your theme back to the one your try to modify (in my case: High Contrast Theme -> Aero Theme)
    • restart your computer and you are done!

Hi, followed your guidelines but I still can't replace shellstyle.dll

I'm using a style called "AeroLite" that basically gives back the resizing borders of windows (it is very annoying for me that resizing borders of windows in Win10 are invisible). When I choose a High Contrast theme, the theme changes immediately instead of taking a while with the screen in blue and the wait message, so I guess AeroLite is using the same resources as the High Contrast themes (another clue on this is that the minimize, restore and close icons are identical to those in the High Contrast themes).

Anyway, when I change theme to high contrast and try to replace shellstyle.dll, I get an error message:

(Translated from Spanish): "Error 0x800704C8: requested operation can't be performed in a file with an opened section assigned to a user"

I also tried changing from AeroLite theme to default Win10 theme (this time Ii takes a while e with the screen in blue and the wait message) and tried to repeat the replace operation but same result. In fact I tried changing to other themes, but same result with all of them. Can't replace the dll

Notes:

Here is how to add Aerolite theme: http://winaero.com/blog/enable-the-hidden-aero-lite-theme-in-windows-10/

I'm also using Classic Explorer 4.3.0 (classicshell.net)

In my themes folder I have:

Folder: aero
files: aero.theme, aerolite.theme, theme1.theme, theme2.theme (aero is the default, theme1 is the one called "windows10" and theme2 is "Flowers")

then in aero folder I have:

Folders: en-GB, en-US, es-ES, Shell, VSCache
Flies: aero.msstyles, aerolite.msstyles

Inside both en-GB and es-ES I have two files: aero.msstyles.mui and aerolite.msstyles.mui

(en-US is empty and I can't access VSCache)

Inside Shell I have NormalColor and inside this a folder called en-US and the shellstyle.dll

and finally, inside this en-Us folder a file called shellstyle.dll.mui

Edited by artofwalls

20 hours ago, artofwalls said:

Since Aero Lite uses the same folder of resources as Windows 10's default visual style, you'll need to take ownership of shellstyle.dll found in %windir%\Resources\Themes\aero\Shell\NormalColor\ . In my tutorial I recommend to follow this method. After you take ownership, rename original shellstyle.dll to something else. Now paste a modified version of shellstyle.dll to the same folder. You don't need to delete original file as it's your backup. Now just switch to any of High Contrast themes and then choose Aero Lite again.

• 10 months later...