How to Move Details Pane to Bottom without Memory Patching [Win10]

MDJ

I can't follow all your steps. I managed to download the resource file, located the Themes folder and the only folder inside is "aero", so I go further inside and Open shellstyle.dll with Resource Hacker.

I open the MUI section and delete the resource. MUI section disappears.

But then I can't find SHELL32_UIFILE section. There is a UIFILE section but not SHELL32_UIFILE

But I continue and add the downloaded resource as indicated and save the file.

Then I backup the shellstyle.dll but I cant replace it with the modified one when I try to. Windows asks me for permissions (I am an administrator, of course) and I can't replace, delete or rename the original shellstyle.dll.

I guess this is due it is being used but since I don't have any other visual style, I don't know how to unlock the file.

SHELL32_UIFILE section usually doesn't exist unless the author of the visual style added it so you can ignore this step. Talking about not being able to rename original shellstyle.dll, the problem occurs because of Windows making system files secured (custom visual style files aren't secured). In this case, you've to take ownership of it (you can use this guide). After correctly taking ownership you shall be able to rename unmodified file and keep it as a backup. As you're only using the default VS after completing steps make sure to restart File Explorer. In case changes still aren't applied sign out and resign to your account.

It didn't worked :no:

I managed to replace shellstyle.dll following your advice, restored default theme and then restarted the computer, but details pane is still at the right side

post-406726-0-38425200-1453073277_thumb.

That's easy to fix.

Don't click link,just copy url to your browser.

The link does not work, and I am signed in to OneDrive.  Just fix it.  Don't say how it works for you.

The correct link is: http://1drv.ms/1JRyFKq

The problem is the link in the post is pointing to a URL that is different from the one in the text.

Still the same problem you need to fix it so others can access.  

Try now http://1drv.ms/1JRyFKq

It works, thank you.

I managed to replace shellstyle.dll following your advice, restored default theme and then restarted the computer, but details pane is still at the right side

attachicon.gifCaptura de pantalla 2016-01-17 23.23.43.png

I tried modifying the same visual style as you do and the changes appeared after system restart. I believe the problem for you must be related with your operating system not being patched for custom visual style support. Try installing UxStyle and restarting your computer and see if that helps. I personally use different method for custom VS support—patched system files from older. I can't recommend the latter method for you though as there are some things to have in mind in order not break the boot of your operating system.

我用中文的方式說明我安裝的步驟(因為我英文很破),如果你看得懂的話照做就不會出錯

當然首先還是感謝MDJ的教學,不過他的說明裡有幾步我照做也不行(尤其是刪掉SHELL32_UIFILE.res裡的項目我卡有點久)

所以我的方式跟MDJ有點不同,不過都是可以讓詳細資料窗格永遠固定在下方

1.要安裝OldNewExplorer,不裝的話就算步驟沒錯也不會生效

2.以ResourceHacker開啟shellstyle.dll,路徑是C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\aero\Shell\NormalColor(ResourceHacker程式MDJ有提供)

3.在ResourceHacker介面裡,用鍵盤ctrl+D刪除MUI這欄

4.ResourceHacker>Action>Add from a Resource file>開啟SHELL32_UIFILE.res(MDJ提供的檔案)

5.跳出的視窗中>預設Skip不變>勾選Check/Uncheck All>SHELL32_UIFLIE打勾>Import

6.存檔,系統自動另外生成一個檔案shellstyle_original.dll,所以不用事先備份shellstyle.dll也沒關係

7.重啟explorer或重開機就完成

※我都是使用Administrator帳號去做的,所以有卡權限問題的話你可能要透過管理者帳號

※不須嘗試刪除shellstyle.dll,系統也不會讓你刪,但是改名和複製是可以的(有改過NormalColor的資料夾權限,如果你卡權限問題就記得改NormalColor的權限值)

THanks for MDJ

How specifically are we "changing the visual style to the default one" as you have in the final step of your initial tutorial?  I can't find the setting that used to be there in older versions of windows when hacking uxtheme.dll

the only place I can find to change anything related to visual styles is the general themes screen in Windows 10.....where there is a Windows default theme and a Windows 10 default theme.

changing between these two does not move the details pane to the bottom. I've restarted. I've installed the uxstyle patch.

But I'm not certain that I'm following your last step properly.

How specifically are we "changing the visual style to the default one" as you have in the final step of your initial tutorial?  I can't find the setting that used to be there in older versions of windows when hacking uxtheme.dll

the only place I can find to change anything related to visual styles is the general themes screen in Windows 10.....where there is a Windows default theme and a Windows 10 default theme.

changing between these two does not move the details pane to the bottom. I've restarted. I've installed the uxstyle patch.

But I'm not certain that I'm following your last step properly.

By saying that I meant that you shall choose default visual style which comes with Windows 10 (it's called “Aero”). Since you don't have any other try downloading one and see if it can be applied. If it can't then it means that your custom visual style support isn't working and you need to find another way to enable custom VSs in your Windows

attachicon.gifCaptura de pantalla 2016-01-17 23.23.43.png

I tried modifying the same visual style as you do and the changes appeared after system restart. I believe the problem for you must be related with your operating system not being patched for custom visual style support. Try installing UxStyle and restarting your computer and see if that helps. I personally use different method for custom VS support—patched system files from older. I can't recommend the latter method for you though as there are some things to have in mind in order not break the boot of your operating system.

Still not working. Downloaded and installed UxStyle. Restored theme to default, restarted computer, details pane still on the right side :no:

yeah, I can't get it to work either. I think it's because I'm not tracking with MDJ on his final step. This whole visual style/aero thing.....I understand that's the technology behind Windows themes since Windows 7...and I know where the Aero files are in the root Windows folder. But I don't see any Aero settings in Personalization and I see nothing that references Visual Styles when navigating through the different Windows 10 Theme options.

I downloaded the Silk Theme from DeviantArt and see those themes available now in the Personalization window.....and I can choose them....and the colors change on my windows.....I can't see anything else that is changing other than that though.

I remember messing with themes in Windows XP and custom themes could drastically change the way windows looked, including the buttons and the start menu.  The Silk theme doesn't seem to do anything but change colors.

I'm not sure if that's just how restricted Windows 10 custom themes are or if that is because the UXStyle hack didn't actually do anything

In either case, I also have not gotten the details pane to move to the bottom yet.

Edited by Spearoid

Still not working. Downloaded and installed UxStyle. Restored theme to default, restarted computer, details pane still on the right side :no:

yeah, I can't get it to work either. I think it's because I'm not tracking with MDJ on his final step. This whole visual style/aero thing.....I understand that's the technology behind Windows themes since Windows 7...and I know where the Aero files are in the root Windows folder. But I don't see any Aero settings in Personalization and I see nothing that references Visual Styles when navigating through the different Windows 10 Theme options.

I downloaded the Silk Theme from DeviantArt and see those themes available now in the Personalization window.....and I can choose them....and the colors change on my windows.....I can't see anything else that is changing other than that though.

I remember messing with themes in Windows XP and custom themes could drastically change the way windows looked, including the buttons and the start menu.  The Silk theme doesn't seem to do anything but change colors.

I'm not sure if that's just how restricted Windows 10 custom themes are or if that is because the UXStyle hack didn't actually do anything

In either case, I also have not gotten the details pane to move to the bottom yet.

I took some time for testing and I found a way how to fix the problem you're having but the previous tutorial will become much more complicated. If you wish to follow here are the steps:

• Uninstall UxStyle and any other tools for custom visual style support if you've any.
  • Download DLL tool to bypass UXTheme signature verification (it's in “Others” section).
  • Depending on your OS version choose either x86 or x64 version of file from the downloaded .7Z archive and place one of the files into a location that doesn't contain any spaces (for instance, right to C disk).
  • Download a .REG file from here.
  • If you have 64-bit version of Windows and you placed .DLL file from the downloaded archive before right into C disk you can apply AppInit_DLLs registry script. If your Windows version is 32-bit or you placed .DLL file to other location than straight to C drive edit .REG file with Notepad depending on what you did differently. You only need to edit the line which starts with “"AppInit_DLLs"="<...>”. When modifying path to the file note that you must use double slashes (for instance, if you placed a 32-bit .DLL file to C:\Tools then the line you need to modify would look like this: AppInit_DLLs"="C:\\Tools\\UxThemeSignatureBypass32.dll . Save any modifications you made and apply registry script.
  • In FIle Explorer go to “Themesfolder and copyaerofolder to somewhere else. Follow this tutorial and place copied folder back to “aerolite.msstylesfolder.
  • Go back to “Themesfolder and copy aero.theme file to somewhere else. Rename it to “aero2.theme”. Open it with Notepad and in the line which starts with “DisplayName=<...>” (it's under[Theme]section) replace the current name withAero 2” (after doing this, the line will look like this: DisplayName=Aero 2). Now find a line which starts with “Path=<...>” (it's under[VisualStyles]section) and replace current path with the following: “%ResourceDir%\Themes\Aero\aerolite.msstyles\aero\Aero.msstyles” (so the line will look like this: Path=%ResourceDir%\Themes\Aero\aerolite.msstyles\aero\Aero.msstyles). Save modified file and paste it back into “Themes” folder next to other .theme files.
  • If you haven't modified shellstyle.dll file from the previous tutorial yet then do it now and place modified file into%windir%\Resources\Themes\aero\aerolite.msstyles\aero\Shell\NormalColor”. If you did modify already make sure to check if it was copied into location above.
  • In File Explorer's folder path field paste: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,,2 . From the newly opened window choose a theme named “Aero 2”.
  • If you've done everything correctly you shall now be able to enjoy Details Pane finally getting on bottom.
Edited by MDJ