Make Static Website available to internet

urgenthelpneeded

Hi i want to host a website on windows server 2008 r2 and i dont want to buy a domain i want to use my own.

I have a dsl d-link modem which is provided to me by my ISP and i have a router linksys wrt54g which is been connected to my modem

I have installed WEB IIS on my server now, i have opened the port 80 on windows firewall and also on the router and modem too but still i cant access the website through public id??

Can any1 guide me with this issue??

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

You may have to get in touch with your ISP and ask them firmly if they somehow block this type of setup on purpose or there is some technical reason for it.

I myself have a GPRS connection only and having the same problem not being able to reach a locally hosted server from the outside.

It's possbile that any connection going through any type of modem (as opposed to direct cable connection) cannot support this setup. But better check with your ISP.

I appreciate your help

I called them and asked they have told me its unblocked.

I can do web hosting service.

You may have to get in touch with your ISP and ask them firmly if they somehow block this type of setup on purpose or there is some technical reason for it.

I myself have a GPRS connection only and having the same problem not being able to reach a locally hosted server from the outside.

It's possbile that any connection going through any type of modem (as opposed to direct cable connection) cannot support this setup. But better check with your ISP.

Then there may be a problem with the DSL modem and/or the router not forwarding certain HTTP(S) calls.

There are also certain services (such as Web server HTTP and Secure web server HTTPS) that may have to be enabled/tweaked. Not sure how to access them in your OS version - in XP they're under Windows Firewall > Advanced > (select your WAN connection) > Settings > Services.

Also do take into account that the ISP may be bluntly lying about that, but keep it as the last possible explanation.

Replace (temporarily) the DSL modem and router, if possible.

Eliminate the router (temporarily) from the configuration, see if it works with a direct connection to the modem.

Unfortunately this is not my expertise so do keep asking around and testing different configurations. Good luck!

I have checked everything dsl modem too

Can you tell me is STATIC IP ADDRRESS NECESSARY FROM ISP?

Then there may be a problem with the DSL modem and/or the router not forwarding certain HTTP(S) calls.

There are also certain services (such as Web server HTTP and Secure web server HTTPS) that may have to be enabled/tweaked. Not sure how to access them in your OS version - in XP they're under Windows Firewall > Advanced > (select your WAN connection) > Settings > Services.

Also do take into account that the ISP may be bluntly lying about that, but keep it as the last possible explanation.

Replace (temporarily) the DSL modem and router, if possible.

Eliminate the router (temporarily) from the configuration, see if it works with a direct connection to the modem.

Unfortunately this is not my expertise so do keep asking around and testing different configurations. Good luck!

You should still be able to connect to your site externally when you have dynamic IP. If you don't choose to purchase a plan with your ISP for a Static IP, you'll need something like Dynamic DNS to be able to assign a domain name to it.

You also are going to need to allow connection to your website through the Windows firewall. When testing locally, you can tell that this is a problem because the localhost path will work but the IP address won't.

In Windows Firewall with Advanced Security, under Inbound rules, allow the two World Wide Web Services options on your specific connection profile, or if unknown set it for all types.

As you have mentioned about dynamic dns then why windows server provides the role of dns.

My windows firewall setting is as per you said i havent changed or modified any changes in my inbound rules still i cant access my website via external ip address? Why can you tell me that

Forget about dynamic dns i am okay with external ip address just to check its working or nt.

You should still be able to connect to your site externally when you have dynamic IP. If you don't choose to purchase a plan with your ISP for a Static IP, you'll need something like Dynamic DNS to be able to assign a domain name to it.

You also are going to need to allow connection to your website through the Windows firewall. When testing locally, you can tell that this is a problem because the localhost path will work but the IP address won't.

In Windows Firewall with Advanced Security, under Inbound rules, allow the two World Wide Web Services options on your specific connection profile, or if unknown set it for all types.

Just for testing: download and run rejetto's HFS (HTTP File Server) from here, switch to Expert Mode and poke around Menu > IP address (use Find external address), see what IPs it finds. Then try to reach HFS using each of those IPs (if more than one). That may offer a hint on what type of network you're connected to.

Check your Modem/Router. You'll need Port Forwarding to start with (external to fixed Internal). Next, your ISP will/may provide a different (dynamic) IP occasionally (which is ok BUT...). Lastly, in the case of Dynamic IP (even with port forwarding) the Website in your IIS has to be Registered via Static IP (AFAIK) and the only way to get around that (Dynamic) is a Service like DynDNS or No-IP, in which case your Website will be "registered" as a Sub-Domain under theirs. Mine is "<something-something>.NO-IP.INFO". Otherwise, you *literally* have to use the External IP oustside of your LAN, maybe even *inside* it, depending on how your Modem/Router works.

Been there, done that. Your only other alternative is Static ISP IP.

HTH

JFYI, it didn't work for me even when using No-IP services. There is/may be something in the ISP's infrastructure that disrupts communication. I can't access my HFS server from the inside using the external IP (82.137.x.x class) but I can access it through an intermediary IP (10.x.x.x class). However nobody from the outside can access it on either IPs.

That's for a USB GPRS modem (ZTE model MF-190) but the same may be true for other (modem) connection types.

Unless I'm really clueless and there's actually much more tweaking involved.

Do you have a Firewall on your PC? It has to be opened for the ports on your Internal IP. If you're using DMZ (not the same as Port Forward) on the Router/Modem then you have to open the Firewall ports on the External.

I can't access my HFS server from the inside using the external IP (82.137.x.x class) but I can access it through an intermediary IP (10.x.x.x class).

I have no experience for single Modems. Mine is AT&T ADSL In (external dynamic IP) and Wireless.4-PortWired Out (internal Dynaimic DHCP-served). Yours assigns 10.x.x.x IP's? How is that possible (not normal - usually 192.168.x.x) unless you changed it?

That's for a USB GPRS modem (ZTE model MF-190)

You have to be able to access the Modem and modify settings. Is it possible? If not, it's the Modem. As I said, I use NO-IP and it works fine. You *did* install the Program and run it, right? You also have to ensure your Setup is correct when you go into your Online Account. :huh:

Edited by submix8c

They probably do some NAT or something between the modem connection and the Internet.

I also have a DHCP server on this machine (an XP set up to share the modem connection to all the LAN machines, where these machines are in the 192.168.0.x class).

The 10.x.x.x IP is assigned automatically, as well as the external IP, at each connection to the ISP's server.

No (useful) settings for the modem.

No additional firewall or anti-virus suite, default Windows firewall is disabled.

Since networking in not really my forte I can only assume a broken bridge between internal LAN 192.168.0.x and external IP 82.137.x.x due to the intermediary 10.x.x.x or some settings that are completely out of my reach.

Apologies for hijacking the topic, I'm only hoping some of the information here could help in fixing the original poster's issue.