Programs simultaneously dropping Vista/XP support

WinClient5270

The main reason Vista support is being dropped early is because they recently aligned their Vista and XP codepaths at version 41. The reason for that is they didn't have enough Vista users to provide sufficient feedback on the Vista-exclusive Chrome version. Windows XP has twice the number of Vista users so simply aligning Vista and XP codepaths reduced complexity and bugs. And while Vista and 7 are far more similar than Vista and XP at the core, Win7 contains some new APIs that are missing in the older Vista versions (ones without SP2 and the Directwrite patch), thus they had no choice but to either align to XP, drop support even earlier, or run the risk of releasing a buggy Chrome to Vista users since they weren't getting sufficient feedback from end users. This is what the Chromium devs told me when I talked to them on the forums, anyway.

This also explains the "non-aero" set of events, it's basically just the XP build running on Vista, so you could sort of argue that Google hasn't been supporting Vista for months already.

It does suck that they're cutting Vista support this early, but given the low market share and poor rep that Vista never could shake off, it doesn't surprise me. At least Mozilla has no plans to drop support from what I've read, so there's always that.

I recently upgraded from Windows Vista to Windows 8 with classic shell since I built a new Haswell PC, and it doesn't support Vista. No drivers whatsoever.

Vista SP2 is still a good OS and has support partially but for the most part, third party support seems to be going right on down there with Windows XP, as many applications like Photoshop, Chrome, Adobe Reader, VMware, Office, etc. have all dropped XP and Vista support simultaneously.

The main reason Vista support is being dropped early is because they recently aligned their Vista and XP codepaths at version 41. The reason for that is they didn't have enough Vista users to provide sufficient feedback on the Vista-exclusive Chrome version. Windows XP has twice the number of Vista users so simply aligning Vista and XP codepaths reduced complexity and bugs. And while Vista and 7 are far more similar than Vista and XP at the core, Win7 contains some new APIs that are missing in the older Vista versions (ones without SP2 and the Directwrite patch), thus they had no choice but to either align to XP, drop support even earlier, or run the risk of releasing a buggy Chrome to Vista users since they weren't getting sufficient feedback from end users. This is what the Chromium devs told me when I talked to them on the forums, anyway.

This also explains the "non-aero" set of events, it's basically just the XP build running on Vista, so you could sort of argue that Google hasn't been supporting Vista for months already.

It does suck that they're cutting Vista support this early, but given the low market share and poor rep that Vista never could shake off, it doesn't surprise me. At least Mozilla has no plans to drop support from what I've read, so there's always that.

I recently upgraded from Windows Vista to Windows 8 with classic shell since I built a new Haswell PC, and it doesn't support Vista. No drivers whatsoever.

Vista SP2 is still a good OS and has support partially but for the most part, third party support seems to be going right on down there with Windows XP, as many applications like Photoshop, Chrome, Adobe Reader, VMware, Office, etc. have all dropped XP and Vista support simultaneously.

Adobe Reader is an interesting anomaly. Adobe dropped "support" for Vista at version 10 ("X"), and if you go to the download page, 10 is the only version being served for Vista users. Yet, nothing prevents the version 11 ("XI") installer from functioning on Vista.

ardrvista.jpg

On the other hand, Adobe Reader 11 (XI) is completely supported on Windows XP, right up through the current 11.0.08.

ardrxp.jpg

These two posts split from here: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/175077-in-place-upgrade-to-windows-7-home-premium/

In the future, don't OT post in a help topic and don't argue amongst each other about it. Ask a moderator to split the posts out into a new thread. The bickering posts in that other thread have been hidden.

• 4 weeks later...

Chrome ( google suck ballz ).................................................Google/Chrome filters out websites looking for direct links to archives and executable files/applications and then marks the websites as being malicious. Such you have to implement a password just to have anybody access the archives. I also have to block google from my own webpages, while the free provider of my content keeps putting Google inside of my HTML pages like crazy.

Only reason why anybody have any google account is just to put stuff on Youtube. That is all. I have to get away from that,

Edited by ROTS