Installing Windows 2000 on a Thinkpad R60

When installing Windows 2000 on a Thinkpad R60 NEVER install unofficial updates until you are completely done installing the correct drivers! This will cause an audio issue, if you hadn't already installed the driver! You will receive the message "The HDA Audio bus driver is required and not found"

My Specs:

Intel Solo T1300

11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Express Adapter

Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000)

Extra's I've installed on the laptop

-SP5

-Unoffical updates which include compatibility launcher

How to install (Work in progress! Your model is likely different than mine and will need different drivers if so)

Although Windows 2000 is such a nice OS (And in my opinion would be better than XP if more updates were added), it can be a huge headache to setup if you're inexperienced

All possible Thinkpad R60 specs; http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:R60

Offical Thinkpad R60 Manual; https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/42x3749.pdf

I'm posting this because I know I'm not the only person in the world who's attempting this, someone looking for help on google may find this article. I'm new to setting up Windows 2000 myself and am used to easy driver installation in XP and later.

How to install Windows 2000 on a Thinkpad R60, use at your own risk! I am not responsible for any damages!

Note: Most of the drivers are somewhat manual and require you to go into C:/ then enter folder which contains the extracted driver. From there you look for the setup.exe or whatever it maybe called and install.

Step 1 - 100% necessary(重大)

Install 7-Zip (Important otherwise you have no way to open zip files if you were to download drivers from the Thinkpad after installing the internet drivers)

Install Service Pack 4 if you haven't already

Install Chipset driver (Choose the correct one, I believe there are two different drivers)

Step 2 - Graphics(容易)
-Install Display driver (You must find the correct driver for your system because there are two or three different graphic adapters if I remember correctly)

Step 3 - Ethernet

-Download and install correct Ethernet driver (There are two drivers, choose the one your laptop contains)

Step 4 - Wireless Internet(可以作难)

If 11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Express Adapter

-Install Lenovo Hotkey, Access Connections, and Power Manager, all are required in order to install the wireless. Make sure you specifically download the Access Connections driver meant for Windows 2000 and don't accidentally download the driver for XP! The XP driver WON'T work on 2000!

-You have to disable automatic connection configuration as well according to the site
Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services -> Wireless Configuration

Intel Wireless LAN (11abgn, abg, bg)   (Never tested this one yet)  

-Install Lenovo Hotkey, Access Connections, and Power Manager, all are required in order to install the wireless.

Other drivers - referring to Verizon Wireless WAN adapter and Vodafone Wireless WAN (Never tested this one yet)

-Install Lenovo Hotkey and Access Connections

Finally

This step may not apply to you, if you don't use WPA2 router
Connect to access point, Pre-shared WPA, Then make sure setting is on WPA2 and enter code
then connect!

Step 5 - Audio (NEVER INSTALL UNOFFICIAL UPDATES BEFORE INSTALLING THE DRIVERS!!!)

• Install DirectX 9.0C or later
  • Install the UAA High Definition Audio Bus Driver KB888111 (Obtain this from the Microsoft Website, make sure you use the file meant for Windows 2000, and not XP!)
  • Install Driver.

Mistakes I've made installing Windows 2000, DON'T REPEAT MY STUPID MISTAKES

• Used Windows XP drivers instead of W2K drivers (Caused Thinkvintage access connections didn't work properly on  Windows 2000)
  • Used unofficial compatibility updates which caused the audio issues in the first place
  • After installing the unofficial compatibility updates, I installed a later version of framework in order to use Levono Update for 2000. The application opens, but when searching for updates will always fail.
  • Attempted to use driverpack software meant for XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10 (Both online and offline). Software was unstable and either failed or didn't really install drivers.
Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

My issue is that I've installed SP4, DirectX 9.0C, UAA High Definition Audio Bus Driver, and the installation still gives me the error "HDA Audio Bus Driver not found" and refuses to install SoundMAX.

I tested multiple OSes on this Laptop to find

• Windows 10 will completely freeze up when opening the start menu due to old processor and 1gb of ram
  • Windows 7 is extremely limited in ram, one window might be fine depending on the website. MS Word and so is very slow.
  • Windows XP is nice at first, then becomes easily bloated
  • Windows 2000 so far seems like the best choice, since all software available is made years ago, none of them take up nearly as much ram or cpu usage
  • Mint Linux was very slow to boot, didn't really test it though. Wasn't compatible with lots of software.
  • IXLE Linux was fine, only downside being its incompatible with lots of Windows software
Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

If you look this message on Sound MAX sound driver, you should change inf file manually.

Generally , you should delete ".NTx86" for Win2000.

My issue is that I've installed SP4, DirectX 9.0C, UAA High Definition Audio Bus Driver, and the installation still gives me the error "HDA Audio Bus Driver not found" and refuses to install SoundMAX.

• Windows 10 will completely freeze up when opening the start menu due to old processor and 1gb of ram
  • Windows 7 is extremely limited in ram, one window might be fine depending on the website. MS Word and so is very slow.
  • Windows 2000 so far seems like the best choice, since all software available is made years ago, none of them take up nearly as much ram or cpu usage
  • Mint Linux was very slow to boot, didn't really test it though. Wasn't compatible with lots of software.
  • IXLE Linux was fine, only downside being its incompatible with lots of Windows software

If you look this message on Sound MAX sound driver, you should change inf file manually.

Generally , you should delete ".NTx86" for Win2000.

Can you let me know how to do so? I've never done anything similar to that before...

Did you install chipset support inf as well? http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds003827One other thing I would suggest is to search for the driver called WDM_R222.EXE and try that, I think it works with i945 chipset on Win2k.

I've installed every driver I could. Oddly, the modem driver refuses to install. I need a high definition audio bus it says. Lots of the drivers forced me to install unoffical updates and so...

I know my sound card has no chance of being broken as well, audio worked fine in Windows XP, 7, and even 10.

Windows 2000 is a nice, lightweight, minimal OS. But its a pain to setup >.<

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

I've reinstalled windows 2000 from SP4 alone and without any unofficial updates and it works perfectly now! <3 (Except for a wireless adapter which refused to be recognized, until I reinstalled it multiple times)  I realized the issue is to NEVER install unofficial compatibility updates which modify the kernel after reading your site which said somewhere it may mess with the audio.

I just realized, you are the creator of the unofficial Kernel32 updates, Rollup updates, Chrome tool and the KDW right?

Kernel32 update refuses to work and says it requires Internet Explorer SP1 Security Cumulative update, despite already having SP4 w/ Internet Explorer 6SP1...

如果我学日本文 。。。(Typing this on Windows 2000!)

Now I need to find a better web browser besides Opera and Firefox, both sometimes load a little wrong

I've reinstalled windows 2000 from SP4 alone and without any unofficial updates and it works perfectly now! <3 (Except for a wireless adapter which refused to be recognized, until I reinstalled it multiple times)  I realized the issue is to NEVER install unofficial compatibility updates which modify the kernel after reading your site which said somewhere it may mess with the audio.

I just realized, you are the creator of the unofficial Kernel32 updates, Rollup updates, Chrome tool and the KDW right?

Kernel32 update refuses to work and says it requires Internet Explorer SP1 Security Cumulative update, despite already having SP4 w/ Internet Explorer 6SP1...

Now I need to find a better web browser besides Opera and Firefox, both sometimes load a little wrong

I am not Roll update creator but KDW and extended kernel(perhaps you say unofficial kernel32) creator.

IE6SP1 Security Cumulative update in 2013 can download from my WLU site.

If you want to use vanilla Win2000.

You can use firefox 12 or 10 ESR or Qupzilla 1.6.6.

If you use Extended kernel , you can install recent firefox and recent Qupzilla and Otter Browser and so on. :)

I am not Roll update creator but KDW and extended kernel(perhaps you say unofficial kernel32) creator.

If you use Extended kernel , you can install recent firefox and recent Qupzilla and Otter Browser and so on. :)

Which part of your site contains the IE6SP1 Security Cumulative Update? I'm a bit overwhelmed by how much Japanese is on the page, and its kinda hard to find stuff.

Which part of your site contains the IE6SP1 Security Cumulative Update? I'm a bit overwhelmed by how much Japanese is on the page, and its kinda hard to find stuff.

http://w2k.flxsrv.org/wlu/wluen.htm

You can download English version.

If you want to download other language.

You should download MS Security ISO 2013 April.

A little late, but thank you so much! Windows 2000 w/ the Kernel extension is fabulous! :)

Although oddly, the rollup updates allowed the latest version of Firefox, the Kernel32 extension is causing an error so Firefox won't work. Could be because of the fact I used the chrome tool and installed the rollups. But, the latest version of qupzilla works as a trade off. 

Firefox installer reject to install when detected OS version NT5.0.

so set to run version XP mode with fcwin2k or other tool.

A little late, but thank you so much! Windows 2000 w/ the Kernel extension is fabulous! :)

Although oddly, the rollup updates allowed the latest version of Firefox, the Kernel32 extension is causing an error so Firefox won't work. Could be because of the fact I used the chrome tool and installed the rollups. But, the latest version of qupzilla works as a trade off.