Server 2012 Updates on Windows 8

Jody Thornton

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully what I'm asking is not in violation of the forum terms and conditions:

Has anyone on Windows 8 attempted downloading and installing the November 14, 2023 update (KB5032247), which is the Monthly Rollup?

I have turned off Windows Update, now that October 2023 has come and gone.  I didn't wish to act as a guinea pig this time, but I am interested if it still installs, without any tools or patches.

On 11/14/2023 at 9:43 PM, Jody Thornton said:

Hopefully what I'm asking is not in violation of the forum terms and conditions:

Has anyone on Windows 8 attempted downloading and installing the November 14, 2023 update (KB5032247), which is the Monthly Rollup?

I have turned off Windows Update, now that October 2023 has come and gone.  I didn't wish to act as a guinea pig this time, but I am interested if it still installs, without any tools or patches.

need a bypass esu

I thought so.  I had resigned to not using it, as I knew that October 2023 updates were going to be the last ones generally available.  I have turned off the Windows Update service, since I now just manually update Windows Defender.  So I'm going to run the OS as is for the remainder of the year.  I'm still getting updates for Firefox ESR 115, so we're good until September there.

I'm OK that I can't use these new ESU updates for Windows 8.  I always installed the "Security Only Update" and not the rollups, since that allowed me to bypass the Spectre, Meltdown and Flash patches.

End of an era.  Next year I'll move to Windows 10 LTSC 2019.  I'll miss ya Windows 8.

9 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

I'm still getting updates for Firefox ESR 115, so we're good until September there.

End of an era.  Next year I'll move to Windows 10 LTSC 2019.  I'll miss ya Windows 8.

Not the end. Not yet. At least while we can run "Wine on Windows".

https://reddragdiva.dreamwidth.org/607714.html

https://web.archive.org/web/20090110105132/http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOnWindows

I know WSL is only available for > w10,  but we have Cygwin, MinGW....

Building Firefox with msys2

https://github.com/msys2/MINGW-packages/discussions/10526#discussioncomment-5350944

example with a non supported version of filezilla (seen here in msfn):

filezilla.png

Edited by sonyu

8 hours ago, abbodi1406 said:

How would have skipped Spectre/Meltdown patches when all Security Only Updates include ntoskrnl.exe?

My understanding is if I skipped that month's update (I think it was April 2018), I would have the following updates, and not the one with Spectre/Meltdown patches.  I never used the rollups.

Anyway, everything worked out fine :)

21 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

I thought so.  I had resigned to not using it, as I knew that October 2023 updates were going to be the last ones generally available.  I have turned off the Windows Update service, since I now just manually update Windows Defender.  So I'm going to run the OS as is for the remainder of the year.  I'm still getting updates for Firefox ESR 115, so we're good until September there.

I'm OK that I can't use these new ESU updates for Windows 8.  I always installed the "Security Only Update" and not the rollups, since that allowed me to bypass the Spectre, Meltdown and Flash patches.

You‘re not limited to Firefox 115 ESR if you‘re on Windows 8. Windows 8(.1) can run the latest Firefox (119-121) with an adjustment made to the browser file. No Extended Kernel, no ESU, what so ever

2 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

You‘re not limited to Firefox 115 ESR if you‘re on Windows 8. Windows 8(.1) can run the latest Firefox (119-121) with an adjustment made to the browser file. No Extended Kernel, no ESU, what so ever

No I actually prefer ESR versions.  They stay with the same feature set, and userChrome.css changes to the UI are set.  Otherwise, I'd have to make changes every three weeks.

Plus I'm staying on Windows 8 for the meantime, not Windows 8.1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2023 at 3:17 AM, Jody Thornton said:

eh maybe use either W10 LTSB 2016 v1607 or recent LTSC 2021 v21H2.
LTSC 2019 was based on the buggy v1809 release (though recent CUs for LTSC 2019 make it nearly stable), which one other person in another forum deems that version "half baked"

KB5031427 is the very last security only update for Server 2012 R0 / Windows 8
and KB5031407 is the equivalent security only & very last SO update for Server 2012 R2 / Windows 8.1.
Microsoft is no longer producing any more new security-only updates for Windows Server 2012 / Windows 8.x beyond those two updates.

Edited by erpdude8

1 hour ago, erpdude8 said:

eh maybe use either W10 LTSB 2016 v1607 or recent LTSC 2021 v21H2.
LTSC 2019 was based on the buggy v1809 release (though recent CUs for LTSC 2019 make it nearly stable), which one other person in another forum deems that version "half baked"

KB5031427 is the very last security only update for Server 2012 R0 / Windows 8
and KB5031407 is the equivalent security only & very last SO update for Server 2012 R2 / Windows 8.1.
Microsoft is no longer producing any more new security-only updates for Windows Server 2012 / Windows 8.x beyond those two updates.

That's alright.  I already have the LTSC 2019 box setup, customized, pared down and ready to go for use next year, so I'll stick with it.  Plus the LTSC 2016 won't have support updates for as long, And I hear the more recent LTSC builds have a much fatter and bloated Windows Defender implementation that causes a performance hit.

• 2 months later...