Server 2012 Updates on Windows 8

Jody Thornton

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2022 at 5:27 PM, dave67 said:

Will there be something similar for 8.1? 

Do you mean like a MEGA update repository like what @greenhillmaniac made?  That was because updates for Windows 8 disappeared after January 2016.  From what I gather, for the same thing to be available for Windows 8.1 after January 2023, you would need to use updates fro Server 2012 R2 until October.

After that, I also gather that obtain ESU updates from Server 2012 and 2012 R2 wuld be illegal if we weren't paying the support fees.  I guess there's 0-Patch

19 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

Do you mean like a MEGA update repository like what @greenhillmaniac made?  That was because updates for Windows 8 disappeared after January 2016.  From what I gather, for the same thing to be available for Windows 8.1 after January 2023, you would need to use updates fro Server 2012 R2 until October.

After that, I also gather that obtain ESU updates from Server 2012 and 2012 R2 wuld be illegal if we weren't paying the support fees.  I guess there's 0-Patch

Yes

• 1 month later...

Are all the updates of the repository free of Meltdown and Spectre? 

Do you know if it's possible to install Net Framework 4.8 on Windows 8.0 the same way as greenhillmaniac installed Powershell 5.0 on 8.0 ?

Or if it's better to integrate them on WS2012 R1 and use MICROSOFT SERVER CONVERTER 2012 to convert 2012 to Workstation?

I don't know if I can publish the link here but there is a batch script ( made by @abbodi1406 ) to install .NET Framework 4.8 packages on Windows 10 Version 1507/1511, by modifying the mum files and remove parent node using powershell.exe
this, however, allow to install the package from offline servicing only (because security catalogs integrity will prevent live online installation). It is possible to do the same on Windows 8.0 ? 

So this script will solve this other comment, right?:  

On 6/16/2022 at 4:56 PM, greenhillmaniac said:

The last .NET update that works with vanilla Windows 8.0 is .NET 4.6.2. Unfortunately, .NET 4.8 only installs if Server 2012 or Embedded 8 Standard parent packages are available. It is possible to edit some of the update's .mum files and slipstream them offline, but you need to do this for every possible .NET 4.8 update in the future, and I figured it would be too much of a hassle for the regular user.

So the way to create an ISO with all w8.0 pre-EOL updates + post-EOL updates without installing rollups containing spectre and meltdown code is:

1) Run WSUS 9.25 on 8.0 and then manually remove (if any) the rollups on download folder (>march 2018).

2) Download all pre-EOL updates of the repository and add to the folder

3) Integrate all the updates with a tool like ntlite, right?

I hope the rollups have "-UR-" in the filename when downloaded with WSUS, if not this won't be an easy process... 

Please, correct me if I'm wrong, I want to create my own updated iso without spectre and meltdown code on it :(:rolleyes:

Thanks

I love Windows 8.0 ...as much as XP, 2K3, 2K, ME, 98SE & 95 :)

Edited by sonyu

• 4 months later...
On 2/15/2023 at 10:10 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

Does the February MSRT 5.110 work?

It actually does. And is even being offered on Windows Update for both Windows 7 & Windows 8.1 (have no clue if the same is also true for Windows Server 2008).

Win81_upd_history.thumb.jpg.1be8053a150a7f8b54d4d709de549b05.jpg

MalRemToolRunning.JPG

The only thing that will dictate how long I stay on Windows 8 is Firefox ESR support longevity.  If ESR 115 is supported, I’ll stay on Windows 8 until 2024.

i wasn’t planning to stick it out through the ESU period, because once Firefox ESR support on Windows 8.1 bites the dust, then there won’t be any other suitable “modern” browsers to rely on.  I suppose 360Chrome from ArticFoxie could work in a pinch, but that’s an older Chromium build that it’s based on.  I’m not sure I’d want to bank on that for too much longer.

So hopefully I can wring out one or two more years from Windows 8 before adopting Windows 10 LTSC, which I have ready to go on another machine.