Server 2012 Updates on Windows 8

Jody Thornton

2 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

Well this particular issue would affect Windows 10 too.

True, Flash EOL is not OS-specific, which is why moderators decided that the thread in the XP forum should be open to all members, so don’t hesitate to post a question there. I’m not sure what OS Mathwiz was referring to. I know he has Windows 7, so perhaps he is installing those ESU updates. It sounds to me like Microsoft has not done anything that would prevent a suitably old Flash Player ActiveX from working, but I don’t really know.

• 2 months later...

Right.  What I'm concerned with though is that the security updates for July, August and September 2021 also removed Flash.

I'm hopeful that one day I can decide to skip a number of months and then continue patching my system.  Currently I'm patched up to June 2021.  It would be great if I could commence from October onwards, thereby skipping the summer-month updates.  This is provided that the Flash removal is no longer combined with those updates.

I'm hoping it's no different than skipping the update that included the patch for Spectre and Meltdown four years ago.  I've had no problems since.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2021 at 7:48 AM, greenhillmaniac said:

that update appears to be included in the July 2021 KB5004302 & KB5005389 updates for server 2012 / embedded win8 as I checked the contents of the KB5004302 & KB5005389 updates myself, which seems to have the flash removal files.  also included in the KB5005094 security-only update for Aug. 2021 as well.

the flash removal files don't seem to be included in the KB5005607 & KB5006732 security-only updates so Jody could just try to install those and avoid installing KB5005094 and KB5004302/KB5005389

Edited by erpdude8

From what I posted on eightforums.com ....

.... I installed the October 2021 (KB5006732) update AND ...................... Flash Works!!!! I'm using Server 2012 updates to patch the original Windows 8.
From what I knew, the Security Only updates for July, August and September 2021 have the Flash removal. So I am glad to see that October does not.

On 11/8/2021 at 12:10 PM, erpdude8 said:

that update appears to be included in the July 2021 KB5004302 & KB5005389 updates for server 2012 / embedded win8 as I checked the contents of the KB5004302 & KB5005389 updates myself, which seems to have the flash removal files.  also included in the KB5005094 security-only update for Aug. 2021 as well.

the flash removal files don't seem to be included in the KB5005607 & KB5006732 security-only updates so Jody could just try to install those and avoid installing KB5005094 and KB5004302/KB5005389

It works.  I guess I was hoping for someone to guarantee it first, since I'd rather not experiment with this system.  But it appears we're good.

EDIT:  KB5007245 was issued today, and it appears to be the same situation, so I'll chance my luck and install it this evening.

Edited by Jody Thornton

• 5 months later...
11 hours ago, sonyu said:

Is there a fast way to integrate all Server 2012 updates into Windows 8.0 ?

Either use Dism on an offline image (install.wim) or update a Syspreped installation and then capture it. Be warned that Servicing Stack updates need to be slightly modded when installing offline, as they have an "exclusive" flag set in the 'update.mum that makes it impossible to slipstream any updates after.

• 1 month later...

Hi, is there any latest update repository? Or update list to get Windows 8.0 fully updated untill 06-2022?

Or should I download everything from mega that seems to be lastly updated in 2019? Then continue to latest Monthly Rollup + SSU and thats all? What about .NETs and Flash?

https://mega.nz/folder/ExhDEbDA#pUhzXKVp5-hgzvylW_btfQ
	+
	https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/topic/kb5014027-servicing-stack-update-for-windows-server-2012-may-10-2022-0f6b508c-dd41-49aa-b69b-3202fcd3aada
	+
	https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/june-14-2022-kb5014747-monthly-rollup-e6a24f00-91c9-4a18-9f91-4ce25ee4f22e

2 hours ago, George King said:

Or should I download everything from mega that seems to be lastly updated in 2019? Then continue to latest Monthly Rollup + SSU and thats all? What about .NETs and Flash?

I decided not to update the repository much further, since in order to stay up to date you only need to install all the updates until EOL (2016), then all Post EOL updates on my repo until September 2016 and finally just grab the latest Servicing Stack Update and Monthly Rollup offered on Microsoft's page, It's always the same deal every month, just grab the latest SSU, MR and maybe check out the .NET blog for any Security Rollups. The repo was more essential back when it was individual security updates every month IMO.

Flash was removed with KB4577586, so that's a non issue these days.

The last .NET update that works with vanilla Windows 8.0 is .NET 4.6.2. Unfortunately, .NET 4.8 only installs if Server 2012 or Embedded 8 Standard parent packages are available. It is possible to edit some of the update's .mum files and slipstream them offline, but you need to do this for every possible .NET 4.8 update in the future, and I figured it would be too much of a hassle for the regular user.

OK, so I have downloaded your repo + latest SSU + MR + Flash removal + latest .NET KBs.

So this means I'm still missing all pre-EOL updates right? Any repository / update pack for this please?

EDIT: Seem like for pre-EOL updates can be used WSUS 9.25 which have 6.2 x86 and x64 options available

https://download.wsusoffline.net/wsusoffline925.zip

Edited by George King

Unlike what greenhillmaniac does, I simply install the monthly security only updates and NEVER the rollup.  This is because I skipped the March 2018 which contained slower microcode for Spectre and Meltdown.  Also, I skipped June, July and August 2021 updates which removed the integrated Flash component.   I use Flash to run locally installed flash games like Yeti Sports, but i never use Flash online.

Works great for me, but I maintained my own local repository of these updates from the Microsoft catalog.

Likely I'll never fresh install Windows 8 again.  After October 2023, or a few more months beyond, I'll hopefully be able to migrate to an iPad Pro for most things.  With a stand and Bluetooth keyboard, it can serve as a make shift workstation, plus iOS can do way more than before, so hopefully it will evolve even further.

Windows 10 or 11 is not a consideration for me, but Q4OS could be a next step, if I dare stick with a workstation.

Edited by Jody Thornton
Ooops .. spelling error