Server 2012 Updates on Windows 8

Jody Thornton

Hi Jody and Jaguarek62. The two Vista-related repositories are still up. The link in this thread’s original post is indeed not working, but the link in this greenhillmaniac post IS working, so perhaps Jody should edit the OP. But those are the Server 2012 updates since Windows 8’s EOL that are the topic of this thread, which isn’t exactly what bruno16757 asked about. Does Windows Update no longer work for fresh installs of Windows 8.0 now? Of course there is no “to now” for 8.0 updates (only 8.1 being supported), which is why Jody started this thread years ago!

Edit: Looks like greenhillmaniac first mentioned “new link” August 22, 2016, so give him a break. :blink:

Edited by Vistapocalypse

On 4/17/2021 at 10:12 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

Edit: Looks like greenhillmaniac first mentioned “new link” August 22, 2016, so give him a break. :blink:

Hey relax a little.  I'm not here everyday.  I was just hoping @greenhillmaniac was OK.  I just wondered what happened.  So I'm not trying to get "worked up"

I'll edit the first post

No offense intended Jody. It’s good to have a working link the first post.

On 4/11/2021 at 3:34 PM, bruno16757 said:

anyone got a update up  too march 2021 for windows 8.0 ???

No, because support for 8.0 ended in January 2016. But if you have 8.0 x64, then the updates discussed in this thread can be installed.

• 2 months later...

As of July 2021, all of the new security only updates for Server 2012 (including KB5004294 and KB5004960) now will remove the Adobe Flash Component from Windows 8.

I enjoy playing some locally run flash games like YetiSports, so this is a deal breaker for me.  I'll keep you posted on my next course of action.

Edited by Jody Thornton

• 3 weeks later...

Just bumping this thread because I wondered one of two things, regarding the latest Windows update:

• has anyone installed it, yet been able to get third party ActiveX Flash installations to work?  I only want to run locally installed Flash content, outside of a browser.
  • is it yet known whether or not Flash removal will be part of the August security-only updates?

I’m holding off updating until I have a sure answer.

On 7/31/2021 at 6:34 PM, Jody Thornton said:

Just bumping this thread because I wondered one of two things, regarding the latest Windows update:

• has anyone installed it, yet been able to get third party ActiveX Flash installations to work?  I only want to run locally installed Flash content, outside of a browser.
  • is it yet known whether or not Flash removal will be part of the August security-only updates?

I’m holding off updating until I have a sure answer.

Wow!  There's NOBODY that can answer this question?  I'm not meaning to sound impatient - I promise.  I'm just astonished that there are no takers.

54 minutes ago, Jody Thornton said:

Wow!  There's NOBODY that can answer this question?  I'm not meaning to sound impatient - I promise.  I'm just astonished that there are no takers.

Hi Jody. Running Windows 8 must get lonely. I’m content to say goodbye to Flash Player myself, but you might be interested in something that Mathwiz posted last night in the main thread on this subject:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/182654-adobe-flash-shockwave-and-oracle-java-on-xp-part-2/?do=findComment&comment=1203135

46 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Hi Jody. Running Windows 8 must get lonely. I’m content to say goodbye to Flash Player myself, but you might be interested in something that Mathwiz posted last night in the main thread on this subject:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/182654-adobe-flash-shockwave-and-oracle-java-on-xp-part-2/?do=findComment&comment=1203135

Thank you - I'll check it out.

Well this particular issue would affect Windows 10 too.