Server 2012 Updates on Windows 8

Jody Thornton

Speaking of which...what program would you recommend as the best one to see which apps are programmed to take advantage of multiple CPU cores and heavily multithreaded? Is the "Threads" column in Task Manager/Process explorer/Process Hacker indicative of that?

On my PC, amongst the programs that consume a significant amount of memory and CPU cycles, I see Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Telegram, OneDrive, foobar2000, MPC-BE, Everything Search are heavily multithreaded. All the other smaller apps are single threaded.

Edited by xpclient

On 8/2/2019 at 1:38 PM, greenhillmaniac said:

From what I understood, the update is superseded but they forgot to mark it as such in WU.

In fact, if you go to the KB pages for both and check out the file information you can see that both of them update the same components.

https://support.microsoft.com/en.us/help/4503308

https://support.microsoft.com/en.us/help/4462930

ok thanks greehillmaniac and Jody.  in case you were wondering, this was the comment abbodi made.

I simply needed to install the latest Flash update for Win8.0 and not have to install KB4462930.  the issue with 4462930 seems to occur only with Win8.1 (not 8.0)

Edited by erpdude8

On 8/6/2019 at 1:07 AM, xpclient said:

Speaking of which...what program would you recommend as the best one to see which apps are programmed to take advantage of multiple CPU cores and heavily multithreaded? Is the "Threads" column in Task Manager/Process explorer/Process Hacker indicative of that?

On my PC, amongst the programs that consume a significant amount of memory and CPU cycles, I see Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Telegram, OneDrive, foobar2000, MPC-BE, Everything Search are heavily multithreaded. All the other smaller apps are single threaded.

For figuring out what's multi-threaded and how well programs use the available resources, I like Process Hacker 2, but even regular old Task Manager will show you a decent heat map of actual CPU usage.

A program could make tons of threads and not really use them effectively.  Don't look at counts as any kind of real indication of goodness.  If a program cranks up all the cores (and hyperthreaded logical CPUs) so they're truly busy when it's cranking through your data, then you know it's doing actual (and hopefully effective) multi-threading.

Traditionally well-threaded applications I can think of off the top of my head, include Photoshop's Radial Blur filter, Visual Studio when building big projects, MalwareBytes, my own Photoshop plug-ins...  There are I'm sure a few others I'm forgetting.  Oh, I guess Passmark Performance Test will crank up all the CPUs when testing.

Windows itself does a decent job of taking advantage of multiple threads.  One thing I've always noticed is that with in excess of 12 logical processors you can really open lots of windows without feeling the load too badly.  If you have a really busy computing day this can be very handy.  On the other hand, closing 50 windows before leaving at 5 may mean you leave at 5:30.  :)

-Noel

On 8/14/2019 at 1:13 PM, Jody Thornton said:

Yesterday's Security-Only Update (KB4512482) and the IE 10 update (KB4511872) are installed.  No apparent performance impacts.

:)

@Jody: the KB4512482 update breaks apps made by Visual Basic 6 and certain macros using VBA no longer work correctly [known issue listed in MS KB article 4512482]

After installing this update, applications that were made using Visual Basic 6 (VB6), macros using Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), and scripts or apps using Visual Basic Scripting Edition (VBScript) may stop responding and you may receive an "invalid procedure call error."

in other words, KB4512482 is a "buggy" security-only patch [glad I don't patch right away and wait for a few days for new patches to come out that are less problematic]

remove KB4512482 ASAP and install the newly released KB4517302 update instead (released 8/16), which fixes the Visual Basic breakage problems.

Note This update contains all the quality and security changes in KB4512482 (released August 16, 2019). While it does not replace KB4512482 on Windows Update, if you install this update you do not need to install KB4512482.

Edited by erpdude8

3 hours ago, erpdude8 said:

@Jody: the KB4512482 update breaks apps made by Visual Basic 6 and certain macros using VBA no longer work correctly [known issue listed in MS KB article 4512482]

in other words, KB4512482 is a "buggy" security-only patch [glad I don't patch right away and wait for a few days for new patches to come out that are less problematic]

remove KB4512482 ASAP and install the newly released KB4517302 update instead (released 8/16), which fixes the Visual Basic breakage problems.

Well it hasn't affected me, so I'll just update again.  Can I just install KB4517302?  I was doing some experimentation with with the Disk Cleanup "sageset" commands, so my uninstaller might be already removed.  I'll have to chack when I arrive home.

• 3 weeks later...

Time for the August repository update:

• Replaced Monthly Rollup with the new KB4512518 (located on the root directory of the repository)
  • Added Security Only Update, KB4517302, (located in the folder "/Security Only (Post September 2016)")
  • Replaced Internet Explorer Cumulative Update with KB4511872 (located in the folder "/Security Only (Post September 2016)")

No Flash Player update that I could find this month. Happy patching! :)

https://mega.nz/#F!ExhDEbDA!pUhzXKVp5-hgzvylW_btfQ

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 11:31 AM, greenhillmaniac said:

No Flash Player update that I could find this month. Happy patching! :)

the previous Flash player updates like builds .223 & .238 were non-security fixes and Adobe did not give MS those updated flash ocx files

on Tue Sept. 10, MS did finally release a new Flash Player update (KB4516115), v32.0.0.255, which is a security update.  resolves the new security flaws with Flash Player noted in Adobe security bulletin APSB19-46:
https://helpx.adobe.com/security/products/flash-player/apsb19-46.html

Edited by erpdude8

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've installed the November Security-Only updates (including IE10).  The December ones are downloaded but I'll install when I shut down the system next week.

Only one more IE10 update after this month.  I feel really poorly that IE11 blocked Windows 8 from accepting installation.

Holiday updates for all!

• Replaced Monthly Rollup with the new KB4530691 (located on the root directory of the repository)
  • Replaced Servicing Stack with the new KB4532920 (located on the root directory of the repository)
  • Replaced Flash Player update with the new KB4516115 (located on the root directory of the repository)
  • Added Security Only Updates, KB4516062, KB4519985, KB4525253 and KB4530698 (located in the folder "/Security Only (Post September 2016)")
  • Replaced Internet Explorer Cumulative Update with KB4530677 (located in the folder "/Security Only (Post September 2016)")
  • Replaced .NET Framework Security and Quality Rollups:
    • KB4514370 for .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (located in "/.NET Framework 3.5 Updates/Security and Quality Rollup");
    • KB4514368 for .NET Framework 4.5.2 (located in "/.NET Framework 4.5.2 Updates/Security and Quality Rollup");
    • KB4533010 for .NET Framework 4.6.x and 4.7.x (located in "/.NET Framework 4.6x-4.7.x Updates/Security and Quality Rollup");
  • Added new September .NET Security Only updates:
    • KB4514349 for .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (located in "/.NET Framework 3.5 Updates/Security Only Updates");
    • KB4514342 for .NET Framework 4.5.2 (located in "/.NET Framework 4.5.2 Updates/Security Only Updates");
    • KB4514337 for .NET Framework 4.6.x and 4.7.x (located in "/.NET Framework 4.6x-4.7.x Updates/Security Only Updates");

I'll need to investigate .NET Framework 4.8 and see if it is actually installable on Windows 8.0. For everything else, there's not much to report on. Next month marks the last release of a security update for IE10.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone :)

Not saying I definitely want to do an update, because up to now I've had no problems after having stopped Win Updates at December 2017 on my Win 8.1 system, but I'm just pondering...  If I should want to bring it up to date is there a relatively simple, direct way to use the updates you've curated here to do that?  Or is this all just for 8.0?  If you tell me to "read the whole thread" I'll go do so, though seeing that there are 26 pages is a bit daunting.

Also, if it IS possible, are there trap doors?  In other words, if I should discover performance has been wrecked or something goes wrong that didn't used to go wrong, is the "Uninstall Update" going to be available?  I do have System Image backups I can drop back to in a pinch of course.

-Noel

23 minutes ago, NoelC said:

Not saying I definitely want to do an update, because up to now I've had no problems after having stopped Win Updates at December 2017 on my Win 8.1 system, but I'm just pondering...  If I should want to bring it up to date is there a relatively simple, direct way to use the updates you've curated here to do that?  Or is this all just for 8.0?  If you tell me to "read the whole thread" I'll go do so, though seeing that there are 26 pages is a bit daunting.

My update repository is only applicable to Windows 8.0, but I use Windows 8.1 on my daily desktop machine, so I can brief you in how to stay up to date and avoid any undesirable effects ;). Since you stopped updating in 2017, it should be easy to bring your system up to date again. You'll need:

31 minutes ago, NoelC said:

Also, if it IS possible, are there trap doors?

Well, all updates apart from the Servicing Stack are uninstallable, unless you run /resetbase with Dism. The Servicing Stack update is not uninstallable because it updates core servicing components of Windows 8.1. It's perfectly safe to update, with no issues reported.

The biggest offender in terms of unwanted side effects are the Monthly Rollups. By default they install telemetry components and enable CPU mitigations that slow down performance. Of course, there are workarounds to these issues.
In terms of CPU mitigations, they can be disabled by importing this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

"FeatureSettingsOverride"=dword:00000003
"FeatureSettingsOverrideMask"=dword:00000003

And the telemetry can be disabled by following this guide on Askwoody: https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/2000012-neutralize-telemetry-sustain-win-7-8-1-monthly-rollup-model/

This is what I use on my system, and I'm very happy with the results. Mind you, I use a Ryzen CPU, so I also need to have this installed to bypass the Windows Update block MS implemented.

Hope this helps :)

• 1 month later...