Server 2012 Updates on Windows 8

Jody Thornton

fwaa haa haa haa :buehehe:

oh well no IE11 on Win8.0 clients; bummer Jody (you can go back in remove IE10 if you like)

looks like the KB4492872 IE11 packs do check the InstallType and EditionID and only install on Server 2012 & Win8 Embedded

Edited by erpdude8

On 4/5/2019 at 11:21 AM, greenhillmaniac said:

Looks can be deceiving, my friend. Just because the embedded PkgProperties on the MSU file says that doesn't mean the update.mum inside the CAB file does ;)

Just to prove my point I went ahead and installed Windows 8.0 Enterprise on VMWare to test installing the latest .NET Framework 4.8 preview update (build 3745).

And it seemed to go over just fine. Maybe you'd like to try it and see if you get the same results. I haven't tested this extensively, mind you.

you're right about saying that looks can be deceiving, but for a different reason, greenhillmaniac.

I did install the KB4054542 (.NET 4.7.2) update on my Win8.0 Pro x64 machine several days ago.  however the installation went fairly quickly without error BUT I had to really check the C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\ and C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\ folders to see if a bunch of .NET DLL files such as the System.dll, System.Core.dll, System.Data.dll etc. and the corresponding .NET EXE files like MSBuild.exemscorsvw.exengen.exengentask.exe, etc. were updated to the NET 4.7.2 versions (v4.7.3081.0) [right-click on any of those DLL or EXE files, choose Properties and click on the Details tab to check the version number].  they were not updated, even though I have KB4054542 listed in the Installed Updates section of the Programs and Features Control panel.  so the install of KB4054542 was really "partial" on Win8.0 clients

edit 4/27: anyways I have recently removed KB4054542 and have gone back to installing .NET Framework 4.6.2 (KB3151804) on my Win8.0 Pro machine as I am content in having .NET 4.6.2 & not anything higher

Edited by erpdude8

• 4 weeks later...

KB4499171 May 2019 Rollup & KB4499158 May 2019 security-only updates available May 14.

---

aww gosh darn it! :realmad:

After installing KB3191565 (WMF 5.1) using the batch file, rebooted then uninstalled the April 2019 rollup (KB4493451) and the existing Realtek HD audio driver and rebooted, my aunt's Win8.0 pro PC ended up going into a Win8 "Automatic Repair" loop; guess I'm gonna have to either do a "refresh PC" repair using the Win8 DVD or do an overwrite install of Win8.0 from the DVD (almost a "clean" install), either way I'll have to spend a few days fixing the mess I created (which kinda sucks) - perhaps after re-installing Win8.0 from scratch I'll leave out WMF 5.1 since I didn't really need it anyway

Edited by erpdude8

@erpdude8 Ouch!  Sorry that happened to you.  As of right now, I'm only installing the IE10 and Flash updates.  My security-only updates stop at November 2017, but that will change at the end of the year.  I figure when I update to the next Firefox ESR (or whichever browser I move to), I will also install all of the security-only updates since then (except for the Spectre and Meltdown ones from a year ago).

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/23/2019 at 5:02 PM, KAILITY said:

I changed to a custom Vista theme for Windows 8, which works perfect. For all of those bells and whistles of the Aero theme, you can just go to the advanced system settings and change performance settings in there. Of course, for features like Media Player

Could you upload that theme?

On 8/22/2016 at 4:52 PM, greenhillmaniac said:

Ok, just got back home, time to update the repository.

This is an overhaul to the repository, as it no longer contains superseeded updates, has Internet Explorer 10, Flash Player and Kernel Mode Driver updates on the root directory, since those are updated every month and replace the previous versions, and (most importantly) X86 UPDATES FOR YOUR COMPUTING NEEDS! These come from Windows 8 Embedded Standard and work on Windows 8.0 (tested on my 12 inch laptop with a measly Intel Celeron Dual Core at 1.2 Ghz, from 2009).

One thing to keep note of is that security updates for Media Center will not be available for Windows 8.0, since the only NT 6.2 supported OSes, Server 2012 and 8 Embedded Standard, don't have this feature. Regardless, these updates only fix vulnerabilities when oppening .mcl files, so as long as you don't open those kind of files, you shouldn't worry too much :cool:

Here's the new link: https://mega.nz/#F!ExhDEbDA!pUhzXKVp5-hgzvylW_btfQ

There doesn't appear to be any January or February 2017 updates. Is there a reason for this?

Edit: There are some updates that won't install on Windows 8.0 for me

KB3185280, KB4019214, KB4040955, KB4056899, KB4096235, KB4344165, KB4457025, KB4480070, and KB4483468

Edited by asdf2345

9 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

There doesn't appear to be any January or February 2017 updates. Is there a reason for this?

At the time Microsoft didn't release updates for Patch Tuesday in those months. AFAIK they only released a January patch for Windows 7 and that's it.

9 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

Edit: There are some updates that won't install on Windows 8.0 for me

KB3185280, KB4019214, KB4040955, KB4056899, KB4096235, KB4344165, KB4457025, KB4480070, and KB4483468

Without any kind of description of the error message there's not much I can say. I have already installed some of those updates on my test Windows 8.0 install, so I know they are compatible. Were they already installed on your system? Did you install all of the previous updates before? Were you using the correct .NET version for some of those Security and Quality Rollups?

8 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

Without any kind of description of the error message there's not much I can say. I have already installed some of those updates on my test Windows 8.0 install, so I know they are compatible. Were they already installed on your system? Did you install all of the previous updates before? Were you using the correct .NET version for some of those Security and Quality Rollups?

I had installed .Net 4.7, but it caused other issues (Programs crashing with CLR20r3), so I reinstalled Windows 8

I'll just stick with .Net 4.5

Edit: The error was "The update is not applicable to your computer"

Edited by asdf2345

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2019 at 7:53 PM, Jody Thornton said:

@erpdude8 Ouch!  Sorry that happened to you.  As of right now, I'm only installing the IE10 and Flash updates.  My security-only updates stop at November 2017, but that will change at the end of the year.  I figure when I update to the next Firefox ESR (or whichever browser I move to), I will also install all of the security-only updates since then (except for the Spectre and Meltdown ones from a year ago).

because of that, I have discontinued running Win8.0 on my relative's PC and have switched to Win10 LTSB 2015 (v1507)

on the other hand, I will install Win8.0 on an old but spare hard drive (Western digital WD1200BB 120gb) on one of my custom built PCs and will use the Win8 OS until end of 2019.

On 6/19/2019 at 9:29 AM, asdf2345 said:

I had installed .Net 4.7, but it caused other issues (Programs crashing with CLR20r3), so I reinstalled Windows 8

I'll just stick with .Net 4.5

Edit: The error was "The update is not applicable to your computer"

you could install .NET 4.6.2 (KB3151804) with its offline installer which does install 100% fully on Win8.0 clients as I did this myself unlike the .NET 4.7x/4.8 versions

Edited by erpdude8

On 6/19/2019 at 6:28 AM, asdf2345 said:

Could you upload that theme?

It's a copy paste bot.

On 2/4/2016 at 8:33 PM, OneSerendipity said:

Server 2012 has the Aero Lite theme of 8 by default, but you should be able to change to the normal Aero theme of 8 in Personalization. I changed to a custom Vista theme for Windows 8, which works perfect. For all of those bells and whistles of the Aero theme, you can just go to the advanced system settings and change performance settings in there. Of course, for features like Media Player, you still need to install Desktop Experience, along with WLAN Service and .NET Framework 3.5 to get some apps to install and work. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, 3 months without any updates. Is anybody using Windows 8.0 at this stage?

• Replaced Monthly Rollup with the new KB4507462 (located on the root directory of the repository)
  • Added Servicing Stack update KB4504418 (located on the root directory of the repository)
  • Added Flash Player Security update KB4503308 (located on the root directory of the repository) while removing any previous versions left
  • Added Security Only Updates, KB4499158, KB4503263 and KB4507464 (located in the folder "/Security Only (Post September 2016)")
  • Replaced Internet Explorer Cumulative Update with KB4507434 (located in the folder "/Security Only (Post September 2016)")
  • Replaced .NET Framework Security and Quality Rollup Updates with:
    -KB4507002 for .NET 3.5 SP1 (located in "/.NET Framework 3.5 Updates/Security and Quality Rollup")
    -KB4507000 for .NET 4.5.2 (located in "/.NET Framework 4.5.2 Updates/Security and Quality Rollup")
    -KB4506995 for .NET 4.6.x-4.7.x (located in "/.NET Framework  4.6.x-4.7.x Updates/Security and Quality Rollup")
  • Added .NET Framework Security Only Updates:
    -KB4495607 and KB4506974 for .NET 3.5 SP1 (located in "/.NET Framework 3.5 Updates/Security Only Updates")
    -KB4495591 and KB4506965 for .NET 4.5.2 (located in "/.NET Framework 4.5.2 Updates/Security Only Updates")
    -KB4495584 and KB4506961 for .NET 4.6.x-4.7.x (located in "/.NET Framework  4.6.x-4.7.x Updates/Security Only Updates")
  • Added extra update KB4508776 and replaced all previous timezone updates with KB4501226 (located in "/Extras (Non Security Updates)")
  • Updated the readme in the Extras folder to have more information about the contained updates
  • Removed the .NET Framework 4.7.2 installer in the Extras folder until the situation about it can be better defined
  • Moved all of 2018's Security Only updates into a new folder (located in the folder "/Security Only (Post September 2016)/2018")

I recommend people install the Servicing Stack update before any other, just to be safe. That should also cover everything. I'll try and do some more tests on the latest .NET versions on Windows 8.0 to get some definitive answers about their compatibility.

https://mega.nz/#F!ExhDEbDA!pUhzXKVp5-hgzvylW_btfQ

4 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

Wow, 3 months without any updates. Is anybody using Windows 8.0 at this stage?

I recommend people install the Servicing Stack update before any other, just to be safe. That should also cover everything. I'll try and do some more tests on the latest .NET versions on Windows 8.0 to get some definitive answers about their compatibility.

https://mega.nz/#F!ExhDEbDA!pUhzXKVp5-hgzvylW_btfQ

I still am, but I'm taking the cue from @NoelCand holding off on updates.  So right now, I have my Windows 8 installation updated to November 2017, and I have the IE 10 engine (the browser is removed), and the built in Flash updated to current.

Come the new year, I will try installing all of the updates from 2018 and 2019, minus the Spectre/Meltdown month from Spring 2018.  I will work backwards and install the December 2019 Security-Only update, and then November, and then October.... and so forth, until I get to the December 2017 update..  Some will likely not install because they have been since superseded by a newer update.  Then I will run my system for a month, rigorously testing it out to see if there are any performance or operational issues. And before you ask, "Jody, why don't you just install the latest rollup?"; that's because I hear on good authority that more telemetry patches are worked into the rollups.

Mind you, even though I don't like not installing updates, I have to say that my system performs splendidly as it is.

OK so, I'm about to do just what I described above (starting with the Security-Only Update from July 2019).  Let's see what happens.  If everything decreases performance-wise, I just have to remove today's updates.

Edited by Jody Thornton