Server 2012 Updates on Windows 8

Jody Thornton

I know there was an IE 10 EOL update to nag you to upgrade.  I have cleared out my Software Distribution folder (since I no longer use Automatic Updates) so all of my update history is gone.  But I will do a search for updates, tomorrow, and report back on the updates I skipped.  How's that sound?

:)

Here are the ones I skipped:

KB3163589    Out of Date Notification
KB2976978    Compatibility Update for Windows 8.0 and 8.1 Update
KB2975331    August 2014 Update Rollup - Microsoft recommended uninstalling because of boot issues - no benefits to desktop use anyway

Thanks, I apreciate a lot the help from you and greenhillmaniac. 

The info is complete now, i already downloaded all KB with "WSUS Offline from January 2016" (made an Iso) and all in "greenhillmaniac repository", just started downloading now Update Rollups (excluding KB2975331 according to previous post).

I start thinking it is going to be better an online update, this is my current plan:

- Make an 8x64 install on HDD second partition.

- Apply updates from WSUS Iso.

- Apply Update Rollups (by date, older first).

- Apply Updates from repository (by date, older first).

- Apply Net Updates from repository (by date, older first).

- Sysprep and make *.wim image with Imagex or winlib-imagex.

I will apreciate your comments to my current plan, any suggestions are wellcome.

Best Regards

alacran

Edited by alacran
Typo

3 hours ago, alacran said:

Thanks, I apreciate a lot the help from you and greenhillmaniac. 

The info is complete now, i already downloaded all KB with "WSUS Offline from January 2016" (made an Iso) and all in "greenhillmaniac repository", just started downloading now Update Rollups (excluding KB2975331 according to previous post).

I start thinking it is going to be better an online update, this is my current plan:

- Make an 8x64 install on HDD second partition.

- Apply updates from WSUS Iso.

- Apply Update Rollups (by date, older first).

- Apply Updates from repository (by date, older first).

- Apply Net Updates from repository (by date, older first).

- Sysprep and make *.wim image with Imagex or winlib-imagex.

I will apreciate your comments to my current plan, any suggestions are wellcome.

Best Regards

alacran

Don't forget to tick the "Generalize" box after doing the updates and choosing the shutdown option, in the sysprep environment, so you can capture it in wim. You could do it in a VM too.

Well someting went wrong, I did everything as per my posted plan, almost all updates installed fine, only very few said "Not applicable to this OS" or something with that meaning and aborted before install, I even reboot after every month updates to let them finish install.

Finally after all this, and after final reboot (and having no errors in "Event Register"), I ran MS tool to "Free space on this unit", then it started and went as fas as cleanning update files (it was 991 MB) and when it was about 65 % it didn't move anymore, after waiting 2 hours tryed to cancel, but no way, I had to reboot the PC and all in that partition was wrong, not booting to 8 anymore, I had to format the partition.

Good thing is I made a Ghost image before this (just in case), Do you have some ideas in order to help me reduce OS size? I want to clean it as much as possible, before doing Sysprep and make a new updated install.wim

1 hour ago, alacran said:

Do you have some ideas in order to help me reduce OS size?

• Delete everything inside "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download". It's just Windows Update downloaded cache.
  • Delete System Restore Points. These can take up to 10GB.
  • Disable hybernation. Can restore about 5GB.
  • Run the Disk Cleanup utility. Sometimes, it can help.
  • Run on cmd with admin rights: "dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup". This will remove superseded components off WinSxS. Can cleanup from MB to quite a few GB
  • Defrag the disk. I know it shouldn't do anything, but on Windows 8.x it restored for me 100MB, after a restart, which is weird.

This is usually what I do to regain some HDD space on Windows. Since Windows 8 doesn't have the "/resetbase" switch that 8.1 has, for the dism command, it won't truly remove everything, but it's a start.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TititAyami5840 said:

does it support x86 version? i have windows 8 pro wmc.

Go to my repository of updates for Windows 8.0. I have in there x86 updates.

Keep in mind that there are no updates for WMC, so it might become vulnerable in the long run.

Is it just me, or does anyone hear Arnold's voice when they read geenhillmaniacs' posts?  Sometimes I imagine the other posters as their avatar when they type posts.... lol.  I imagine NoelC flapping his wings and making angry "caw" sounds when he unloads on Windows 10 ...lol.  Am I the only person that does that?

On 21/06/2017 at 1:47 PM, JodyT said:

Is it just me, or does anyone hear Arnold's voice when they read geenhillmaniacs' posts?  Sometimes I imagine the other posters as their avatar when they type posts.... lol.  I imagine NoelC flapping his wings and making angry "caw" sounds when he unloads on Windows 10 ...lol.  Am I the only person that does that?

Unfortunately, you don't leave much to the imagination :P

Besides, I like to think I'm saving people from the predator that is Windows 10, by making them GET TO THE CHOPA!!

Just now, JodyT said:

Add me Lol 

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have updates for Adobe Flash (KB4025376), IE 10 (KB4025252) and Security-Only (KB4025343).  The only .NET Framework updates appear to be for Windows 10.

So time to install.  I'll see you on the other side of the boot.  :P