Server 2012 Updates on Windows 8

Jody Thornton

59 minutes ago, JodyT said:

Aren't IE 10 updates integrated into the Security Only Updates greenhillmaniac?  I have IE 10 removed, but I just wanted to my sure my friend.

:)

Starting this March, Microsoft separates IE updates from the Security Only updates, so you need to download the IE10 security update, yes.

• 3 weeks later...

OK so April 2017's updates have been installed for the most part.  I installed the Security Only (KB4015548) and the Flash Update (KB4018483).  I've sourced an Internet Explorer 10 update (KB4014661) but it's a cumulative update.  Are there no security-only styled monthly updates for Internet Explorer?

On 11/04/2017 at 11:45 PM, JodyT said:

Also, there seems not yet to be any .NET downloads in the Microsoft Update Catalog, though I understand that there should be some from the announcements.

.NET Security and Quality Rollup Update (no telemetry AFAIK): https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=4014982

KB4014563 is for .NET 3.5

KB4014557 is for .NET 4.5.2

KB4014548 is for .NET 4.6/4.6.1

KB4014545 is for .NET 4.6.2

Since Microsoft decided to include the CPU blocking patch on all Security Only and Monthly Rollups for Windows 7 and 8.1, once again Windows 8.0 is verified as a great choice, free of meddling, as Microsoft proves it just doesn't care about its failed OS (in this day and age, that's a good thing).

• 3 weeks later...

April showers bring May .... updates.

It took awhile for KB4019214 (Security Only for 2012) to appear, but it's now on the Update Catalog.  So are the IE 10 update (KB4018271), the Adobe Flash update (KB4020821), and the .NET updates (KB4014577, KB4014589, KB4014586, and KB4014597) for each version.  I guess I'll just run the one I need for v4.

Ahoy Mateys!  Let's install and boot!

Only KB4014577 did not install (likely because I don't have that .NET revision installed.)  However, for the fifteenth month, we have lift off.  Yay!  Windows 8 updated for May 2017.

Edited by JodyT
I misspelled "month"

And updated repository with this month's Monthly Rollup and Flash Player update, Security Only Updates, IE10 update and both Security Only and Security and Quality Rollups for .NET (all versions.) Also included are the new timezone updates and .NET 4.7 in cab format, for easy integration with DISM.

https://mega.nz/#F!ExhDEbDA!pUhzXKVp5-hgzvylW_btfQ

Coming soon: a repository for Server 2008 updates for Windows Vista...

2 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

Coming soon: a repository for Server 2008 updates for Windows Vista...

That was especially good news.  I'm getting a new machine to eventually transfer my Windows 8 license to.  Makes me wonder if I want to put my Vista Ultimate x64 installation back on, and run it, until I get my new PC. :)

I want to install Win8 as a second boot OS on a PC that already has XP-SP3 used mainly for old games.

Once I have it installed for the first time, How can I update it? AFAIK WU is not working anymore for this OS.

So please give me a guidance where in this thread should I start in order to have all updates available before install to maybe offline update the install.wim, if I can't do this I will update it online and make an image of OS using winlib-imagex to have it as backup.

Thanks in advance

alacran

5 hours ago, alacran said:

I want to install Win8 as a second boot OS on a PC that already has XP-SP3 used mainly for old games.

Once I have it installed for the first time, How can I update it? AFAIK WU is not working anymore for this OS.

So please give me a guidance where in this thread should I start in order to have all updates available before install to maybe offline update the install.wim, if I can't do this I will update it online and make an image of OS using winlib-imagex to have it as backup.

Thanks in advance

alacran

First off, Windows Update still works, but it will only get you the updates until January 2016. If you want updates past that, you have to manually get them. Luckily for you, I made a repository with all updates from February 2016 up until today, which you can access here:

https://mega.nz/#F!ExhDEbDA!pUhzXKVp5-hgzvylW_btfQ

As for integrating updates, you could get most of them until EOL with WSUS Offline from January 2016: http://download.wsusoffline.net/wsusoffline1032.zip, and then get the post January 2016 updates from my repository.

There's also this list of Update Rollups that you can use: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/23820.windows-8-and-windows-server-2012-list-of-rollup-updates.aspx

Hope this helps :thumbup

6 hours ago, alacran said:

Thanks in advance

alacran

You'll want to follow greenhillmaniac's instructions.  Basically, I'll be installing Windows 8 updates until January 2016 (and remember there's an update you'll want to block because it nags you to update your version of Windows).  After that, I'll go through all of my updates manually (which is nearly fourteen month's worth).

Also yesterday's patch for the WannaCrypt issue, was not compatible with Windows 8, likely because the issue was previously patched from a Server 2012 update recently.

10 hours ago, JodyT said:

remember there's an update you'll want to block because it nags you to update your version of Windows

Can you tell me what KB is this one?

alacran