Server 2012 Updates on Windows 8

Jody Thornton

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/22811/windows-server-2012-update-history

The monthly rollup contains all updates released from October till now. Since there was no Patch Tuesday in February, and nothing for Server 2012/8.1 in January, the rollup only includes this as new:

• "Addressed issue that leads to a read I/O latency of > 70 milliseconds when the disk commit exceeds 90%, < 16 GB commit available, and the paging file is at its maximum size."

Plus the fixes from other months:

• Addressed issue where you can’t change the system time if the RealTimeIsUniversal registry entry is enabled in Windows.
  • Addressed issue where event logging fails to log the IP addresses of incoming Remote Desktop Protocol calls.
  • Updated Belarus’ ISO 4217 code from BYN to BYR.
  • Addressed issue where a cluster fails to form or nodes fail to join a cluster if the cluster database contains duplicate network or interface entries.
  • Addressed issue with the boot partition appearing in File Explorer after installing MS16-100.
  • Addressed issue where external authentications through the Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS) Proxy role start failing after renewing the token signing certificate.
  • Addressed issue that causes high CPU usage whenever a significant number of files are opened simultaneously and folders are being renamed.
  • Addressed issue with revised daylight saving time.
  • Addressed issue where some DFS namespace reparse points that are in the DFS server’s root share are unexpectedly deleted during a full synchronization with the Primary Domain Controller (PDC). 
  • Improved the reliability of Windows Kernel.
  • Addressed issue that prevents pushed-printer connections and printer connections from trusted servers from being installed in Point and Print scenarios after installing MS16-087.
  • Addressed issue when a cluster node sends an Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) request to a gateway, TCPIP returns a timeout error (Error code 11010, IP_REQ_TIMED_OUT), even if ICMP doesn’t receive a timeout.
  • Addressed issue with incorrect character mapping between the 932 code page (Japanese Shift-JIS) and Unicode.
  • Addressed issue that required users to wait up to 30 seconds after booting-up, before the device was available and ready for use.
  • Addressed issue that prevents the automatic deletion of old Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) backup files—Extensible Storage Engine (ESE) transaction logs.
  • Addressed issue that caused Cluster service on remaining nodes to stop unexpectedly when a failover cluster node experiences a power outage.
  • Addressed issue that causes a NFS service to stop responding on a two-node Windows cluster deployment, affecting clients to not be able reach an NFS share.
  • Addressed issue after installing KB3146706 that causes Office 2010 to stop responding when Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) is enabled.
  • Fixed issue that may cause backups to not work because it appears there isn't enough disk space on the target volume, even when there is enough space for the backup.
  • Addressed issue in Microsoft Secure Channel (SChannel) that sometime causes Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.2 connections to fail depending on whether the root certificate is configured as part of the certificate chain for server authentication.
  • Extended support of the Key Management Service (KMS) for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012, in order to enable the activation of clients running Windows 10 Anniversary Update-based long-term servicing branch (LTSB) and Windows Server 2016 clients, when they become available.

I don't think Microsoft includes telemetry in these, since Server 2012 is supposed to be light (and they don't give a s*** about NT 6.2 users)... Give it a shot, if you'd like :)

FYI, a data point not directly related to the "manual" method discussed here nor to 8.0, but possibly interesting or useful...

On my Win 8.1 test VM I applied the Win 8.1 updates the normal way, save for the telemetry update (KB2976978, which I hid) and rebooted. 

I had two unexpected errors implicating an error enabling logging for publisher "Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-ShimEngine/Operational" in the System event log, and a "Registry Hive Recovered" message stating Registry hive ntuser.dat was corrupted.  My firewall didn't work right after startup and in general the system just felt wrong.  However, after another reboot all was well.

Moral:  Something about the recent updates may need two reboots before it all works properly.

-Noel

I decided to uninstall both and just reinstall the security only update.  It seems to run more brisk and responsively.  I hope it's not just my imagination.  Perhaps there are server only improvements that don't translate well to Windows 8 (in the monthly rollup) - just a guess though.

:)

I'm very sorry to hear it seemed to slow down your setup, Jody.  I haven't noticed it in my test VM, but I don't honestly run it enough to feel subtle changes.  I'll certainly keep an eye open for that kind of thing when I finally update my workstation.  I did compare PassMark PerformanceTest results from my VM and the host system, and the Windows Interface tests do measure a fair bit slower in the VM - but that may just be typical.  I don't have stored PerformanceTest results for the VM from before the update to test against, though I suppose I could restore a snapshot and test...

Over on AskWoody.com there are sporadic reports of the March updates breaking a Microsoft application called "MS Dynamics CRM 2011".  I don't use that so I can't test it for myself.

There's another report that the updates broke System Restore, but I've created a restore point and restored it successfully on my Win 8.1 test system.  Lots of people find System Restore fails for them I think because they don't run it through the bootup Windows Recovery Environment.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

On 3/16/2017 at 7:43 PM, greenhillmaniac said:

Great news, Windows 8.0 users:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4015079/lifecycle-dates-extended-for-windows-server-2012

Server 2012 just got support extension to match that of Server 2012 R2!

So it's increased by ten months, is that correct?  October 10th, 2023?

:)

A bit long overdue, but I updated the Windows 8.0 repository to include this month's Monthly Rollups, Security Only Updates, Flash Player and Internet Explorer 10 updates.

I also included an updated timezone update in the extras and Powershell 5.1 (x64 only), complete with a script that extracts the update and installs its components, overcoming the Server 2012 only restriction.

https://mega.nz/#F!ExhDEbDA!pUhzXKVp5-hgzvylW_btfQ