Server 2012 Updates on Windows 8

Jody Thornton

That's awesome :thumbup

I've actually been doing some testing of Windows 8 of my own, and was able to install AMD's drivers that were meant for 8.1, with a mere tweak of the .ini file. Basically, 8.1 drivers work on 8.0

This thread interests me, because I'm considering moving to Windows 8.0... Seems lighter than 8.1, from the testing I've made.
Also, I'm always interested in preserving older OSs... the more variety we have, the better (especially if such variety isn't affected by Windows 10 nagware ;)).

Edited by greenhillmaniac

1 hour ago, greenhillmaniac said:

That's awesome :thumbup

I've actually been doing some testing of Windows 8 of my own, and was able to install AMD's drivers that were meant for 8.1, with a mere tweak of the .ini file. Basically, 8.1 drivers work on 8.0

This thread interests me, because I'm considering moving to Windows 8.0... Seems lighter than 8.1, from the testing I've made.
Also, I'm always interested in preserving older OSs... the more variety we have, the better (especially if such variety isn't affected by Windows 10 nagware ;)).

i'm curious, what ini tweak did you do? I ran 8.0 for some time but used drivers for 7 and they worked fine, did you have to disable driver enforcement after doing the ini tweak?

No tweaks at all.  Download the updates manually and install them.  They are of the same codebase, and in fact, the files are listed as Windows8-RT-KBxxxxx.exe

For Windows Vista, my hope is that Server 2008 classic updates will provide the same benefit past April 2017.  There's one more year left.

:)

1 hour ago, JodyT said:

No tweaks at all.  Download the updates manually and install them.  They are of the same codebase, and in fact, the files are listed as Windows8-RT-KBxxxxx.exe

For Windows Vista, my hope is that Server 2008 classic updates will provide the same benefit past April 2017.  There's one more year left.

sorry my question was directed at greenhillmaniac, not you, lol

9 hours ago, jeff69dini said:

i'm curious, what ini tweak did you do? I ran 8.0 for some time but used drivers for 7 and they worked fine, did you have to disable driver enforcement after doing the ini tweak?

All I did was download the latest Windows 8.1 driver from AMD, extracted it from the .exe it comes in, went to Packages\Drivers\Display\WB6A_INF, and in the .inf file in there, went to the line that said:

[ATI.Mfg.NTamd64.6.3]

and changed it to:

[ATI.Mfg.NTamd64.6.2]

So I Shift Rebooted, disabled Driver Enforcement, and installed through Device Manager.
I think the main advantage of installing drivers made for Win 8.x, compared to 7 is that you recieve all the advantages of Win8's WDDM and DirectX version.

Hope this helps :hello:

• 2 weeks later...
On dinsdag 9 februari 2016 at 4:41 AM, JodyT said:

Well I got home later than I anticipated, but ran System Restore to create a Restore Point.  Then I downloaded six updates (five for Windows Server 2012, and one for Internet Explorer 10).  I had shut off the Windows Update service and had cleared the \Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder on a previous occasion, so I started the service and let the folder populate.

Then I manually installed all of the updates one by one.  (KB3115858, KB3123294, KB3126593, KB3126587 and KB3124280, plus KB3134814 for IE10)

Now I had removed IE10 from my system (and even deleted the disk payload for the feature using the DISM command), but I thought perhaps that the IE update would improve security in the IE engine files that may still reside on the system.  All updates installed without incident.  Now to reboot.

Be right back ...

Hi,

I took a look on this page: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms16-feb.aspx

After that, I downloaded 10 updates: (KB3115858, KB3123294, KB3124280, KB3126446, KB3126587, KB3126593, KB3133043, KB3134214, KB3134814, KB3135782).

Am I doing something wrong, or is there a reason you didn't install those other updates?

Sorry for my English

12 minutes ago, JodyT said:

I know that I don't install any updates for .NET v3.5, but which ones are you referring to Stefan?

From the February updates, you installed: (KB3115858, KB3123294, KB3126593, KB3126587 and KB3124280, plus KB3134814 for IE10). I also installed those updates, but when I took a look at the Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for February 2016, I also found these updates: KB3126446, KB3133043, KB3134214, KB3135782, which you didn't mention. So I wanted to know if there was a reason you didn't install these updates.

Thanks

Edited by Stefan43

Well, here's a possible explanation...
KB3134214 (MS16-018) is the Low-level MS Graphics Component, which was replaced by KB3139852 (MS16-034) in March, then by KB3145739 (MS16-039) in April, which should be still current.
and, likewise...
KB3135782 (MS16-022) is the Adobe Flash Player, which was replaced by KB3144756 (MS16-036) in March, then by KB3154132 (MS16-050) in April, which should be still current.
The others I didn't follow, but may also have been superseded, or maybe even they weren't relevant for Jody's system.

This is just my 2¢, of course!

I cannot speak as to why I did not include those updates.  I think I was forgetful or didn't look hard enough, to be honest.

I installed all of them except the Adobe updates ... rebooting.

(two of them did not require restarts)

1 hour ago, JodyT said:

KB3134214 is not applicable to my system.  Whadda ya know?

If you had already installed one of the later updates that superseded it, the installer would tell you it is not applicable to your system. BTW, you don't use the Flash Player? Really?

Well I removed IE 10 using the DSIM features command (similar to Add/Remove Features)  I did install the Adobe Flash Player prior to that, and I still install the April IE10 and Flash updates.  But now I just use the Firefox flash build being used on Pale Moon.

I was really just saying that I didn't reinstall the February flash update.