Server 2012 Updates on Windows 8

Jody Thornton

I used the PerformanceTest 8.0 software on my copy of Microsoft Windows Server 2012It appears I got a Passmark rating of 588.0 and a 2D graphics mark of 246.6. Looks like I was wrong as it just seems fast because most of the performance features are turned of in Windows Server versions.

Edited by Bakuchris

looks like I made a mistake running Windows Server 2012, Firefox seems slow on it, Adobe Premiere CC is faster but slow occassionally more on server, most things are the same like Windows 8.1 on Server 2012 nothing better, I'll have to find another version of Windows to run.

P.S. sorry for getting off task of the forum questions.

And now here's Patch Tuesday.  I was not able to obtain update KB3135989 for some reason (it just links to a default Windows Download Centre page .... hmmmm.)  The patch relates to .NET Framework v3.5 on Server 2012

Otherwise, there are three other .NET updates, seven regular system updates, and a single update for IE10.

Installing now ...

Edited by JodyT

Well it seems mostly a success.  Now one of the updates, KB3138962, was said not to be compatible with my system, and as aforementioned, I am unable to track down KB3135989 (for .NET v3.5.  But the other six regular security patches for 2012, the IE10 updates, and the three .NET patches all installed.

March2016.jpg

Edited by JodyT

I posted this over at eightforums.com.  The thread I created there has had NO fanfare whatsoever:

Well Patch Tuesday is here again, and as a Windows 8 user (yes the original version), I'm happy to say that I was able to amass the updates for March 2016 from Server 2012, and use them to patch Windows 8 for a second month in a row.

I have to say, especially given that this IS a Windows 8 Forum, I'm surprised that there is no interest in this whatsoever. You'd think that there are fans of Windows 8 that would be thrilled that there is a source for updates. What gives?

Anyway here are the security updates that were installed from Server 2012, onto Windows 8:

KB3137513, KB3138910, KB3139852, KB3139914, KB3139940, KB3140735, KB3139929 (for IE 10), KB3135984 (for .NET v3.5), KB3135997 (for .NET v4.6x) and KB3135995 (for .NET v4.52)

Apparently KB3138962 is deemed as not applicable for my OS.  It is available for other consumer versions of Windows, so perhaps it requires patching to allow the update to install on Windows 8.  And I am still unable to find KB3135989 for .NET v3.5.  I'll keep readers posted.

I read some info about KB3138962... it seems it's something affecting clients too, and it's not restricted to server features (media features being affected). Do you have more than an OS in your current computer installed, and if you do, is it any of those being affected? If yes, try installing the update in there.

By the way, I found KB3135989 for Server 2012 in here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=51475

Edited by OneSerendipity

I read some info about KB3138962... it seems it's something affecting clients too, and it's not restricted to server features (media features being affected). Do you have more than an OS in your current computer installed, and if you do, is it any of those being affected? If yes, try installing the update in there.

By the way, I found KB3135989 for Server 2012 in here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=51475

OK, you are officially the man - thank you for finding that.  I wonder if it was posted late perhaps.

Now when you ask, "Do I have more than an OS installed?", yes, I have applications too, but what did you precisely mean?

• 1 month later...

Wow!  I have an awaiting audience ...lol.  You know greenhillmanic, it's good to see that you're interested.  If you go to the Windows 8 Forums at eightforums.com, I'm greeted with the chirping of crickets ...lol.  It's expressly a Windows 8 forum, and you'd think something like this would interest somebody.  Wow!  I can't get over the disinterest there.

So I have the following Server 2012 updates downloaded for April 2016:

KB3154132 (for Adobe Flash Player)
KB3148198 (for IE 10)
KB3142043 (for .NET Framework v3.5)

And the rest are security updates for the OS itself:

KB3135456, KB3145739, KB3146706, KB3146723, KB3146963 and KB3149090

I'm applying these to Windows 8 Pro (Original).  See you after the reboot with the results.

Edited by JodyT