Server 2012 Updates on Windows 8

Jody Thornton

Well, Windows 8.0 is different from 8.1 in some things. Better DWM performance (despite it using a lot of RAM at times, can even reach 160 MB), more friendly in mods (although not enough like 7). It also doesn't get the GWX updates like 8.1 does, as far as I know. Despite so, I'd rather use Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 in this case, since 8's UI is really crap (don't get me wrong, still better than 10's), it can get even heavier than good old Vista in memory use, and mods are still hit or miss. I got Vista installed in all of my computers anyway, now to get Server 2008 fixed, as it boots very slow for some reason, compared to the client counterpart...

As for MS's support, I doubt you get anything real good at the moment in Vista/7, they're trying to get every 7/8.1 user to upgrade to 10, in every way, be it very catchy or spastic. 7/8.1 Enterprise or their server counterparts at least don't get affected by those, so I'm better off with either one of those. Also, because MS's support for 7 is for 4 years, doesn't mean the OS will die immediately in January 2020. Even XP has still support from some companies, Nvidia with their GTX cards as a great example of this. Don't expect 7 to die very soon, it'll most likely stay alive by most companies for at least a year after its MS support ends.

As for mods, I have made several mods to 7 too, including the navigation pane text color and theme color bitmaps to look like Vista's (well, some of them are non-existent in Vista, but I made my own instead, based on its own bitmaps). I have uploaded a screenshot and links to the mods in here (on my DeviantArt page): http://fav.me/d9tg0pu

Ah thats very intresting OneSerndipity, I did'nt know about the support would be supported still after 2020 and the other things you said. Actually I even considered Windows Server 2012 or 2012 R2 but Adobe Premiere CC 2013 is quite slow on it, I remember doing that years ago.

CC itself is very slow, actually. My favorite version is CS5, it's pretty good on resource use, and has a lot of features I find useful. CS6 is pretty heavy, although still pretty good, if you have powerful enough hardware. CC, though... slow on everything literally. In this case, it's not an OS problem.

The official MS support for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R1/R2 is until 2020. Most companies will definitely support 7 for a bit more after that date, that's for sure.

Well, Windows 8.0 is different from 8.1 in some things. Better DWM performance (despite it using a lot of RAM at times, can even reach 160 MB), more friendly in mods (although not enough like 7). It also doesn't get the GWX updates like 8.1 does, as far as I know.

This is now why I especially like Windows 8 (especially now that it seems I'll be able to use Server 2012 updates with it).  Now if I don't us any updates and leave it right at January 2016, I'll be basically on par with NoelC (in the manner that he has ceased updating Windows 8.1 after a certain point)

Plus, I can run the x64 build on a pair of Netburst Xeons, so even if I retain this machine for some time longer, I'm all set.

Well, indeed 8 feels better than 8.1 on some parts, and if I couldn't use 7 for some special reason, I'd be at least on 8 with Server 2012 updates. Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 just fits my needs more, and I won't upgrade to either from Vista/2008 R1 unless I really feel I need to upgrade. My upcoming home rig will probably not going to have NT 6.2 installed either. 

I did some pretty detailed performance comparisons, and Explorer's access to the file system (e.g., if you enumerate all the files and folders on C: with right click - Properties) is MUCH slower in 8.1 than 8.  That being said, actual file system access by applications themselves is generally faster than with 7, and on par with 8.  Programmatic network activity (e.g., the ability to read a file across the network in an application) is also sped up in 8.1 vs. 7 (and I'm not completely sure how 8 fits into that).  Then there were specific updates that did things, for example, like slow down Direct2D a lot.

It's kind of impossible to generalize; Microsoft must have been mucking about making some basic architectural changes to shoehorn the Metro/Modern/Universal environment into Windows, and that changed quite a few things.

-Noel

Perhaps I'm incorrect, but to me Windows 8 seems more "responsive" than Windows 7.  It may not necessarily be faster, but stuff seems to load or respond more briskly.  Anyway, I'm good with 8.  Plus, just a few days away from Patch Tuesday.  I'm looking forward to "round two" of trying out 2012 patches.

Perhaps I'm incorrect, but to me Windows 8 seems more "responsive" than Windows 7.  It may not necessarily be faster, but stuff seems to load or respond more briskly.

I'm glad Windows 8 performs very well for you. 7 feels a bit slower than both Vista and 8 in some parts, like Aero, and browsing files sometimes.

Thank you OneSerendipity for the great advice, I now know what I want to run thanks to you.

I'm glad my advice helped. Good luck with the OS you want to run.

I tried Windows Server 2012 again, and I'm amazed by how faster it is compared to Windows 8 or 8.1, Adobe Premiere CC 2013 works, its a tad bit slow when moving clips arounds but it is fast, weird I ran this years ago and never noticed this then again I never installed the right video and audio codecs back then I'm guessing now. I think I will keep it and never update it as it's not safe anymore.

Does it really work that faster than 8? I guess you don't turn on all those desktop experience features that 8 has enabled by default, do you? Because, Server 2012 hasn't worked really any faster than 8 for me, since when 2008 R2 was released, performance between the client and server OSes is similar, with Desktop Experience enabled. Server 2003 and 2008 had some differences compared to their client counterparts... 2003 would run better than XP (comparing x86 now, x64 is another story), and 2008 R1 has some performance increases when compared to Vista, but that's all of it. 

I don't know about CC 2013's features and performance either, but I'd rather stick to CS5/CS6 in the Adobe apps I use.